Author Topic: ZT2 Suddenly not working  (Read 2115 times)

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« on: December 26, 2006, 08:15:58 AM »
Sorry to have to start a new thread, but I've got a wierd problem. I have always been able to play ZT2 fine, and I have all of the expansions.

Then I got Sims 2 along with Universtity, Nightlife, and Pets. i have been playing Sims 2 for the past month, and haven't played ZT2 since I got Sims 2. And today I decided to play ZT2 again, and when I click on the icon, nothing happens. I put the CD in and waited till the window came up that gives you options, and clicked "Play". The game never started up. :blink: Please help me with this.

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »
Try running it from the start menu? Perhaps your disk might be dirty.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:04:28 AM »
I already checked my disk, and they are always clean anyway. I tried running it from the start menu too, and alos by right clicking on the icon and clicking on "open" doesn't work.

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »
Sometimes my computer did this..but it usually snapped out of it. One time it didn't, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. It was a pain but it worked. If you can't find any other solutions then I'd suggest that. :unsure:

Offline dragon_rider05

• Zookeeper
  • Wolves;You've gotta love 'em!
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 10:15:41 AM »
umm.....right click on the icon for zoo tycoon. select properties and a new window should pop up. Click on compatibility on the top and check the box that says "run this program for" and select your computer version. If that doesn't work, do the same thing, but select another computer verison.
hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 02:42:34 PM »
OOHH! I have had this problem before w/ ZT2 and other MS games. I dunno if the cuase for mine is the same as the cuase for yours, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

There's this program, an Internet security thing, called Ghostsurf. We had a trial version on our comp, and when we uninstalled it, the games sarted working agian. We had the 2006 version.

I hope this helps. If this isn't the problem, sorry. Your symptoms are exactly the same as when ours wasn't working.

Oh, and on ours, for some strange reason, the trial version of ZT2 worked perfectly. I ended up playing that for a long time until Ghostsurf trial ran out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 02:44:37 PM by horse23 »

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 02:46:56 PM »
Thanks, but I don't have ghostsurf. But I think I know what the problem is now. We have 3 member accounts on my computer. Admin, Jackie(me), and Marie. I was on the Admin acount earlier, instead of mine, and thought I would try to run the game again. It worked. But when I went back on mine and tried it, nothing happened. I think this means that I can only play the game while I am on the Admin acount. I guess that is OK, but do you maybe know how I can make it so it plays on any member's account? Especially because whne I play on Admin's, my saved games are not there because they are saved on the ZT2 played on mine.

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 02:52:18 PM »
Ok, sorry my advice didn't help, but I'm glad you solved it.

To make sure the game runs on your account, try installing it while logged onto your account. That's what I always do when I install something new.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »
Yeah, I tried that, but the computer has designated Admin as the main controller, so I can't put stuff on my computer unless I do it when I am logged onto the Admin. But, I put ZT2 and expansions on way before my father put up the Admin(he has his own computer now), so I don't understand why it would only play when on that account, when the others play on any account. :pinch:

Offline ktesch

• Zookeeper
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 09:00:56 PM »
I received ZT2:MM for Christmas, installed it, it installed, was able to do the tutorials, and then the game quit working, it isn't dirty or scratched. There is also some Launch.CAB for Winzip that comes up after the game is installed. I have tried from the Desktop, the Start Menu, I have to go into C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon 2/ZT, my file doesn't show a ZT.exe, but it says it is when you hold the cursor over it. I tried the compatibility suggestion from Windows95 to Windows 98/ME, there were two other ones, but not Windows XP Home Edition which is what I have.
Any ideas?

Kim

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 09:20:21 PM »
Try checking the path of the shortcut.

Offline ktesch

• Zookeeper
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
Never mind. It was just slow in finishing the install. I didn't get anymore ads when I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I got a Message of the day screen and the EULA. Those were the only screens that were slow in coming up. The more Expansions you have, apparently, the slower stuff loads, although going in and coming back into the game was quicker.

Kim
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 10:36:16 AM by ktesch »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
Quote from: germanwolf;169518
Yeah, I tried that, but the computer has designated Admin as the main controller, so I can't put stuff on my computer unless I do it when I am logged onto the Admin. But, I put ZT2 and expansions on way before my father put up the Admin(he has his own computer now), so I don't understand why it would only play when on that account, when the others play on any account.

Since he now has his own computer, ask your father to make you an Administrator or Supervisor on your computer. It's because HE was the Administrator when it was installed and it thinks the only one who's allowed to play the game is him. :lolol:

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
ZT2 Suddenly not working
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »
lol. Yeah, I'll ask my dad if he can maybe change the Admin thing. But sadly......

NEW PROBLEM: I just noticed this today. My African Adventure scenery objects are missing. The animals and toys and such are there, but the scenery objects are missing. How could this be possible?