Author Topic: Tired of Crashes  (Read 1335 times)

Offline WoofDreamer

• Pooper Scooper
Tired of Crashes
« on: December 27, 2006, 11:57:23 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong board, I wasn't sure.

Alright, here's my situation.  I had ZT2 for a long time and it ran fine on my old computer (three years old) until one day, for reasons unknown to me it just started crashing, right in the middle of exhibit building.  I could play for, probably 20 minutes before my graphics card suffered an error.  Finally I gave up.

I just got a brand new computer, it's a laptop if that has anything to do with it.  So being less than a week old, it has all the latest graphics cards.  But to be sure I loaded the first three games (Reg, ES, and AA) on before attempting to do anything with MM (which I had just bought).  To my joy everything worked perfectly!  So today I added MM to the mix and the same old problems started coming up.  My game froze in the middle of building my second exhibit and my poor computer crashed with a graphics card error!!!

I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong and it's bugging me.  Can the latest graphics cards still crash?  I'm not really sure.  My card is better than what the requirements say I need.

Yes, I could just take off MM, but I just gave Wal*Mart $30 for the dumb game and I'm not going to loose my money.

So, what should I do?  Contact Microsoft?  Has anyone else had this problem?

TIA

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Tired of Crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
I do not have a laptop, but I understand this is a non-uncommon problem with laptops. I would suggest you:
1) Use the SEARCH button for solutions
2) Call MS about your problem
3) Wait for someone who HAS a laptop answers this

Hope one of those helps. :original:

:merry: :tree3: :flake1:

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Tired of Crashes
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »
You could check to see if your graphics drivers are up to date. Sometimes new drivers come out while the computer is in its box, so this could be the case.

As long as you have XP and are connected to the internet (can't tell you how to do it with other systems unfortunately) Right click on "My Computer" on your desktop (or in your start menu). Then go to "Properties". Next You'll want to click the Harware tab at the top (it shoud be between "computer name" and "Advanced". Now that you haev selected the Hardware tab, select the "Device Manager" button. This will bring up a list of all of the hardware that your computer has. Go to "Display Adapters" and click the little plus sign. It should bring down a one or two things. Mine, for instance, has "Radeon 9550" and "Radeon 9550 Secondary". Right click on the first one and hit "Update driver". XP will automatically go into the web and search for a driver update. If it doesn't come up with anything type in google the name of the card (in my case, I would type "Radeon 9550 drivers"). Hopefully this works!

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
Tired of Crashes
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:07:08 PM »
well what i think is that MM2 has higher system rq's and i had this same problem! the graphics are sooo much better in MM2 that my comp. couldn't handle them. i had the right graphics card, but it was so slow! how much RAM do you have?

:flipper: