Author Topic: Need Help Downloading!  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Arctic Lioness

• Pooper Scooper
Need Help Downloading!
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »
Whenever I try to download an animal, an icon appears on the desktop and it goes to a window that has options on it. Do I click Extract? To what? I click everything and when I run ZT2, the animal isn't there! Plz help I'm going insane!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:35:41 PM by csleesburg »

Offline Red Panda Twins

• Senior Zookeeper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »
First, you download it onto a place on your computer were you can find it.  Then you extract it, and move it to C:\DocumentsandSettings\AllUsers\ApplicationData\
MicrosoftGames\ZooTycoon2\Downloads.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me, but I believe that is
how you do it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:37:54 PM by csleesburg »

Offline Arctic Lioness

• Pooper Scooper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 04:11:13 PM »
I don't know how to download! I suck at computers! *sobs*... Sorry. I really need someone to tell me which icon to click. I'm on zorilla, and when I click extract, there isn't any file called C:/DocumentsandSettings/AllUsers/ApplicationData/
MicrosoftGames/ZooTycoon2/Downloads.
How do I move a file!? There isn't any Download icon? My computer sucks!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:38:24 PM by csleesburg »

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »
OK, I had the same problem. I suck at computers too.:original:

Here is how I do it, and it is super easy. Click to download it, then when it asks to open or save it, chose open. Then a folder will come up, and there will be an option saying extract all files. Extract it. Then the folder will come up again. Click on it a few times, until it comes up as (example) red footed tortoise; 931 KB. Ok, Minimize that. Then click on start, my computer, HP_Pavillion, Program Files, Microsoft games, then Zoo tycoon 2. Now open the window that you minimized earlier. Click and drag that icon with the animal name and number of KB into the window that you just opened. Then it should work. Thats what I do, and it always works.

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
Moved to download support.

Please try looking at this topic here. It is a very nice tutorial by Yellowrose and should help. http://zoo.ogresnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500

Offline hupdo1593

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Palawan peacock pheasant
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 05:45:56 PM »
germanwolf: so you just drag it into the zoo tycoon 2 folder and it should work? with all due respect, it seems easy for a download!

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 06:42:14 PM »
Hupdo, that is one way to do it but I think Arctic Lioness needs more basic help.

Arctic Lioness, first click Extract.  In the folders list, choose a spot you can find easily. I personally use the path C:\Temp as this is a pretty basic folder.  Your desktop can also be used.  Next, make sure the "Use Folder Names" box is marked. Now click Extract to the right of the folder list.

Once everything is extracted, close any extra open windows and go to where you had the files extracted to (ie C:\Temp or your desktop, if that is what you used).  
You should find a folder with the designer(s)'s Name.  Double click the folder to open it.  Inside you should find a file "AnimalName.dl" and a folder "AnimalName" with a file "AnimalName.z2f" inside.  Now move the Animal name folder and file just as they are to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2.  For help navigating to this folder, read this thread especially post #3.

If you have more questions, come on back.

ps: You have to have downloaded at least one of the official MS downloads from in the game to have the download folder.  If you have done this and still don't see the donwnload folder, read post #1 from the thread above about how to show hidden folders

Offline penguinbomber14

• Senior Zookeeper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:10:09 PM »
I feel dumb for asking but, what does the dl file do? I never use it and my animals always work.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »
the dl file makes it show up in the download list in the game

Offline Arctic Lioness

• Pooper Scooper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
I can't find :\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2. And when I click on SpectacledCaiman.dl or z2f, a window pops up saying that Microsoft doesn't recognise the file. Yes I have downloaded as everything came with AA.

Offline Arctic Lioness

• Pooper Scooper
Need Help Downloading!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:15:02 PM »
Oh and I clicked the Show Hidden Folders.