Author Topic: Training  (Read 5423 times)

Offline lemurboy

• Pooper Scooper
Training
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble with the training.  Am I doing something wrong?  When you are supposed to click the mouse or arrow key while following the tracer...mine never succeeds.  When exactly are you supposed to click the appropriate button?  I click it when the tracer is over the symbol.  Can anyone help?  It is getting very frustrating.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Training
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
I find training the animals very annoying. I've given up on it. I just follow the cursor and never mind the buttons. It seems to work better that way. That was one of the biggest complaints during Beta testing, too. If you get to the end, the training 'suceeds'.

Offline Davedogg

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
glad to see that im not the only one i have tried hiring a trainer but they dont seem to be very efficiant i left one traing a dolphin after half an hour it hadnt progressed very far so are they worth their wages?

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Training
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
The timing is very messed up. I press the buttons at the exact right time, and it doesn't seem to acknowledge it. It is as though they based it off of a Tortoise's reflexes! And i know it isn't my reflexes, or timing.

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Training
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 03:52:47 PM »
sometimes if it doesn't acknowledge you have pressed it, try pressing it right before it reaches the symbol, that worked for me most times on the demo. I think training them is fun.

Offline Zoo102

• Pooper Scooper
Training
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »
I enjoy training the animals and have no problems with it... The only time I find it annoying is when I have to do a large amount at a time... When I hire trainers I hire one for each animal I'm training. I find in the Campaigns I always have a little extra money for the trainers and that the shows pay for the trainers.

Offline lemurboy

• Pooper Scooper
Training
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »
This is crazy. I am ready to stop playing this game.  I wonder if there is something wrong with my computer.  How am I supposed to even get past 2nd show scenario if I can't get the training up to level 5?  I don't see where I am doing something horribly wrong.  And I guess hiring the trainers don't work in the scenarios because the trainer just sits there and waits for the dolpin and nothing ever happens.  

Thanks for all the suggestions...any more ideas?  I would hate to stop playing because of this.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Training
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
Here's a tip for training the animals.  It is really not that hard, just difficult to press the buttons they want you to.  Basically all you do is take that pointer and keep it inside the animal bubble thing that moves along the training path.  If it goes out of the bubble for a long amount of time, the training will fail.  When you near a button, it is okay to press the button non stop right before it hits it, it does not affect training in any way.  Although it takes WAY to long, I wish they would have made it so that you only have to train the animal one or two times on each trick because it takes me half an hour just to two tricks.

Offline Zoo102

• Pooper Scooper
Training
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »
When training animals you only have to do it three times as long as it is over 90%... One easy, one medium and one hard... Three 60-90% equal the same as one over 90%, I believe... Also when using a trainer make sure you assign the animalto the trainer and the tricks you want trained... I think the trainer has to train the animal ten times for it to learn the trick, but I'm definitly not 100% on that number... If you are not sure how to train or assign animals try Tutorial 3 again...

Edit: I just thought of this... Make sure you are moving your mouse with the orange line and clicking the buttons as well...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 04:56:32 PM by Zoo102 »

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
Training
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
I find training the animals very annoying. I've given up on it. I just follow the cursor and never mind the buttons. It seems to work better that way. That was one of the biggest complaints during Beta testing, too. If you get to the end, the training 'suceeds'.

Really? Training is SOO easy for me!

Basicllay, when the little icon thingy is on top of the button, press that button. Like when it's on top of the down arrow, pus the down arrow key. When it's on the mouse button, click.

Offline Gloria

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »
I have found that it seems to work best if you keep your cursor just a little AHEAD of the arrow, and (on the faster ones) click just a split second before you reach the click bubbles.

If you try to keep your cursor inside the bubble you're more likely to fall behind, so just try to keep it right in front of the arrow.

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 08:09:57 PM »
i had problems with training the animals, until i just started to try pushing the keys right before the tracer gets to them. i never hire trainers because they take too long, so i always train my animals myself. which gets really frustrating when i work with dolphins.:hairpull:

Offline ndmpatriot

• Zookeeper
  • Local Dressage Enthusiast
    • Zookeepers Journal
Training
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »
Well, you don't want any red "glitter" you want it all green, that way it will succeed. I got frustrated when I was testing the Beta.

Offline Zoo102

• Pooper Scooper
Training
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:21:50 AM »
I find Trainers are great for when you are busy building other parts of your zoo or too train another animal while you train one... I don't mind doing the training when im waiting to earn money though...

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 08:57:21 AM »
My trainers are so slow. But it's fn to watch the trainers train.

Speaking of training... Has anyone tryed swimming with a dolphin while it's being trained by a trainer? I Have, and it's really cool! You can even stay on it when it jumps!

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Training
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »
Ive never had any problems with the training even in the beta (apartfrom them asking for trick that didnt exist to complete a scenrio) but i guess thats years and years of touch typing so i dont need to look at the keyboard and also fast reaction times from playing various games.

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 12:12:52 PM »
Quote from: dootdoot;149358
My trainers are so slow. But it's fn to watch the trainers train.

Speaking of training... Has anyone tryed swimming with a dolphin while it's being trained by a trainer? I Have, and it's really cool! You can even stay on it when it jumps!

yes, i ride my animals during the shows too.
its so much fun to ride the orca when it does a perfect spyhop.:laughing:

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Training
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 01:47:10 PM »
I have great reflexes. A person doesn't have bad reflexes after going through the Marines, Highschool football and Baseball, playing alot of games and two jobs that require great typing skills. I've gone through that and i still find this rather annoying.

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 06:01:01 PM »
Quote from: Megaraptor;149490
I have great reflexes. A person doesn't have bad reflexes after going through the Marines, Highschool football and Baseball, playing alot of games and two jobs that require great typing skills. I've gone through that and i still find this rather annoying.

woow!:surprise:  thats awesome.

i never have big problems with the training. but when i was doing a challenge game, and i had built a huge zoo with all of the animals in mm and more, then i tried putting a show together and :wallbash: :surrender :hairpull:

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Training
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 10:57:59 AM »
At first I thought the training was really fun.  It was like a mini-game.

But it started getting annoyed because a) I am a perfectionist and when I don't get 100% I get frustrated and b) sometimes it really seems like what it wants for timing is inconsistent.  I have had the most luck doing what many of you had suggested, which is hit the key before it wants you to.  But then other times when I do that it doesn't work at all, and then when I go back and time it exactly it works.  I'm starting to think it may be trick specific but I'm not sure yet.

Also have any of you had a problem where once you complete the trick, the animal will swim around for like two minutes before coming back to be rewarded?  I'm always afraid my game is going to crash, because it just sits there with the hourglass, but eventually the animal comes back and lets me reward it.  This only happens once in a while, not every time.

Also, is it true that the animals won't perform the trick as well if the training scores aren't high?

One more question: Is there a way to add another animal to a show after you've made it (by pressing the edit show button)?  Or do you have to make a whole new show?  Becuase it doesn't seem to work for me.

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
Training
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 11:39:42 AM »
in the demo i just used the edit show button. (i dont have the actuall game yet)

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
Training
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »
Just use the edit show button Peacenote. It will ask you if you want to close the show (but don't worry that's only temp. - the only thing it does it start the show timer again when you're done)

Back on topic... I admit, I'm not as patient as most of you. I think the trainers are too slow, but the inconsistancies of training myself, drives me crazy too. So I usually train the animal to 3-4 stars and then let the trainer take over at that point. Best of both worlds! Quicker and more accurate!

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »
ooh, i like your idea nique, when my zoos lag and i want to train animals, i ought to try that.:happy:

Offline MinGraphics

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 03:55:30 PM »
Back on topic... I admit, I'm not as patient as most of you. I think the trainers are too slow, but the inconsistancies of training myself, drives me crazy too. So I usually train the animal to 3-4 stars and then let the trainer take over at that point. Best of both worlds! Quicker and more accurate![/QUOTE]

I do the same thing, I train them until that yellow line you have to trace is thin and than I let the trainers finish.  It makes the whole thing go a little faster.

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
Training
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »
what yellow line?  you trace the animal bubble.  and once the bubble goes really fast, click the button your souposed to click just before your buble goes througth it.  and i have NO pactince at all.