Author Topic: The Whale Shark Grows!!!  (Read 20285 times)

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 09:00:15 AM »
So do they grow? I've had mine for six months, and they've bred, but there's no change in size. Could somebody with fully grown ones please post pictures?

Offline IcelandV4R

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
I Think It's Great That The Whale Sharks Grow Up.  Blue Fang have once again proved their unpredictability (in a good way)

Offline Nightcryfox

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 12:25:09 AM »
Does anyone have a picture? Maybe you could have two pictures side by side, showing the juvenile, then the full grown adult. That'd be :specool: .

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 01:48:36 AM »
It's been one and a half years and still no change. I'm beginning to think they don't after all - if they do they take much too long to do so.

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 02:09:06 AM »
Just one of those little detailes I missed so thanks I now know why they look wrong :wub:

Offline Cheetah

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »
Quote from: dinwrest;149491
I learned this the hard way. I had a big reef exhibet with whale sharks , mantas , dolphins , and reef sharks. The whale sharks were fine until at one point I was pummeled by " The water is to shallow for Whale Shark 1 " and stuff . I noticed my whale sharks were now hugenormous. Now I always remember to make the exhibet biggerer than usual.

How long does it take because I had mine for just over a year and they didn't grow
at all.:hairpull:

Offline Ixion

• Zookeeper
  • doughnuts: heart didease in a ring
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 09:34:08 AM »
Quote from: damien551;150524
I have them in a tank for a year (game time) and they have had babies and dint grow an inch. But there are differnt sizes. I took my male out of his tank and stuck him in shallow water. Then I adopted a female and she was 2x bigger then he was!

Welcome to Ixion's lecture o' da' day!!! : :) :  In the fish (sometimes), reptile :turtle1: (sometimes), and insect worlds :spider: , the females are traditionally BIGGER. Since your whale shark is a a fish, she will be bigger than Mr. Scrawny over here. Same ting in ya Blue Mahlins. Ya female is ruffly 2.5X biggah then ya male. Kapiesch(sp?)? :hmmm:

Offline Eriorguez

• Zookeeper
    • http://
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
You are right, but, please, improve your grammar, please.
BTW, I love the curiousness about the guests. I've not seen them grow yet.

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 11:36:01 PM »
Not always - male fish are generally the same size as females or larger. This depends on the species. Females ARE larger, but not 2.5 times larger.

I don't think it grows at all - 2 years and no change.

Offline MonkeyBrat

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »
Quote from: dinwrest;149491
I learned this the hard way. I had a big reef exhibet with whale sharks , mantas , dolphins , and reef sharks. The whale sharks were fine until at one point I was pummeled by " The water is to shallow for Whale Shark 1 " and stuff . I noticed my whale sharks were now hugenormous. Now I always remember to make the exhibet biggerer than usual.

can you please post a pic of your adult whale shark?:crying: i have had mine for a year and no change : :( : thanks if you do!:original:

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 06:18:23 PM »
Well fish grow to the size of their tank usually - if you have a goldfish in a small bowl, he won't grow very large, but if you put him in a 50 gallon tank he will grow over 5 inches or more (depending on how many fish are in there with him). Is this maybe the problem? has anyone had a single whale shark in a ginormous tank?

Offline willoughby

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/998182
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 06:59:34 PM »
I think mikaboshi might be right. The zoopedia did say to make the tanks extra big.

Offline X'Ray

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 09:10:19 PM »
this is really cool! maybe if someone finds the coding for it, then we can have the same thing for other animals and have babies grow bigger? that would be awesome : :) :

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 09:16:06 PM »
Hmm, just as a point of discussion, I just went to go explore the XML files, and The Whale Shark has a set that doesn't exist with any other animal. Usually, an animal has a main one, and then a set of Adult ones, and then a set of Young ones. The Whale Shark also has a set of ones labeled as "old". Whether you've seen them grow or not, I can almost say for sure that they do. It may take several years, but it'll happen. I'll report back with anything else I find.

Edit: the Adult model is scaled at 0.9, the "Old" model is scaled at 1.4

Offline X'Ray

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »
yes mikaboshi is right! i just saw them and maybe we can get other animals to grow aswell...

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »
Hard to say - I don't know exactly how the files work in tandum just yet, but I will research them a bit and see what I can find. Though, I don't know if you will be able to apply this to the babies....unless when they grow up, they go to a "teenage" year and then sometime later they go to the final "adult" stage. But right now I'm not quite sure how the game knows when to reference the Old file.

Offline Ixion

• Zookeeper
  • doughnuts: heart didease in a ring
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
Quote from: Eriorguez;160398
You are right, but, please, improve your grammar, please.
BTW, I love the curiousness about the guests. I've not seen them grow yet.

Please look at Crooky's second quote in his signature, Eriorguez. then you will see why I purposefully act this way. :original:

EDIT- i just read pengieman's thing about the short flamage between me and Eroguez(sp?) in the hybrids thread. I'm sorry, I won't do it again publicly.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:38:43 PM by Ixion »

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
To grow or not to grow
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »
:specool:  I dont know if its true or not:innocent:  for the whail shark but some fish well slow down and may even stop growing if space gets tight :wacko: . maybe they need more room . We have babies and they grow up so we know they could all so be babies:original:

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »
i dont know, i always give them a super colassal tank, but a year and a 1/2, and no big fishies.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »
well the lifespan of them is great, and the xml is called OLD. I'm thinking you have to wait a LONG time.

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »
did anyone read what mika sed? they do grow it just might take a long time and as of now no one knows how long it takes besides the people who made the game. so this is a question for BF: how long does it actually take to grow a whale shark?

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2006, 04:40:35 AM »
i dont know, but im going to start a zoo, and not stop it till i see a big, Big, BIG fishie.:surprise:
maybe its possible to make a faster growing hack.:huh:

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2006, 04:52:34 AM »
Well, right now I'm still not sure what part of the coding makes it switch from Adult to Old XML files.

Offline germanwolf

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
  • Captian Jack is back
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »
Well, dinwrest said he had one grow really big. I haven't yet. I put some in and they bred, but they haven't grown any bigger yet. Also, they seem to be very curious about the guests; they swim right up to the tank wall, and when I clicked on one of them and looked at their behavior, it said "Looking at John Frank"( guest name)

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »
i just found out that the whale shark isn't the only animal which can grow. I was playing the double feature scenario today and noticed one of my blue marlins looked suspiciously large. I purchased another marlin, put the two side by side and realized that my old marlin was in fact bigger. I took a photo to prove it (note going from back to front the order is baby, adult, old adult and all of them are female). http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/sheltiefan_2006/bluemarlingrows.jpg?t=1165785867