Author Topic: The Whale Shark Grows!!!  (Read 20289 times)

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2006, 05:02:58 PM »
:blink: Whoa, that's weird. I guess they do grow! :surprise: I don't exactly see why, unless that's how big they really are, and that they supposubly grow like the whale shark. :hmmm:

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2006, 05:19:29 PM »
Quote from: sheltiefan;164513
i just found out that the whale shark isn't the only animal which can grow. I was playing the double feature scenario today and noticed one of my blue marlins looked suspiciously large. I purchased another marlin, put the two side by side and realized that my old marlin was in fact bigger. I took a photo to prove it (note going from back to front the order is baby, adult, old adult and all of them are female). http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/sheltiefan_2006/bluemarlingrows.jpg?t=1165785867

are you sure thats not just a female, the female marlins are much bigger than males in the game

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2006, 05:27:15 PM »
She said that they are all females though wolfkid, otherwise I would have asked the same question.

Let me go check those files as well :thumbsup:

Edit: Hmm..just checked and the only animal with an Old.xml is the Whale Shark. It should not be possible for an older Marlin (or ANY other MM2 animal) to grow.

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »
Well I'm certain they where all female I checked very carefully. I'll go see again but I'm certain they are all female.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »
Thanks Sheltie! Not trying to discredit you, hun, I promise :thumbsup: It's possible that they aren't coded the same way the Whale Shark is.

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »
Mika I know your not trying to discredit me it's just that I just needed to prove it for myself. Anyways I've gone back and checked again and sure enough they are all female. I took this pic to be sure.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/sheltiefan_2006/BlueMarlingrows2.jpg?t=1165805535

As you can see I've got the biggest marlin (number 2) highlighted with the mouse, the middle marlin selected (marlin 5) whom you can see is indeed female, and the last one is indeed a baby female (not that it matters as the young are all the same size). So yes they must be coded differently than the whale shark, I have a feeling the majority of the sharks also grow with age but that's just a theory.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2006, 07:02:12 PM »
I'm glad that you are doing investigative work for us Sheltie! :thumbsup:

That is so interesting lol

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2006, 07:51:22 PM »
oh cool then i wonder what other secrets BF put in the game for us! we should probably ask one of the BF representatives if theres more =)

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »
It must be hidden in some coding I can't see; I don't see anywhere in the XMLs where it would change the size of the model...:blink: perplexing indeed!

Offline Cuddly Panda

• Scientist
  • Boss of Cuddly Panda Films
    • Cuddly Panda Films - See my movies!
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2006, 11:30:46 PM »
Strange, I'll guess we'll probably never know, unless the 'Old' file in the whale shark is shared with the marlin.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 11:38:50 PM »
Well...hmm. I was going to say no, because then the model for the marlin would be the same size as the whale shark, but that's incorrect, because the models are different sizes to begin with. I've got a tank full of 60 marlin right now who are hopefully going to grow for me...(I only started with 4 :blink:) and also a tank of 6 whale sharks that take up the other side of the zoo. We'll see what happens! I just hit the one year mark on them.

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2006, 07:53:40 AM »
mika maybe the old file increases their size by 200% of the original meaning that the two animals wouldnt be the same size they would just be 2 times bigger than their original

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2006, 08:26:15 AM »
My marlins don't seem to grow at all - how long did you have them for sheltiefan?

Offline Wild One

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2006, 08:39:13 AM »
Yeah, none of my animals don't seem to grow at all, only whale sharks as far as I know.

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »
Well I'm not really sure how old they were in game years as it was a campaign so I didn't place them in the zoo they were already there. They were at least a year old, both the original male and female were larger than the other fish of the same gender.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2006, 05:34:12 PM »
Well, alriright, the whale shark babies didn't even grow into adults for me until after about 2 zoo years, so I'm going to assume that with that type of life span, the adults won't grow up until quite a few years (5 maybe?)

I left my game running for 2 years, but had to stop when I had 500 Marlins and 200 eggs on the way to being hatched. I will say that Marlin 1 was still alive but she had not grown any larger than the rest of the marlins in the tank. Quite a mystery, I'll say.

Offline Monster

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »
Well, I've recently begun a zoo with one huge whale shark tank that takes up the entire zoo. I will keep this game running until either a whale shark grows or dies. I bought the whale sharks on Jan 4th Year 1, so whenever I figure out they grow, I should be somewhat precise. I have two computers side by side each other and I'm gonna watch the sharks while I entertain myself. I'll update every year so please check back to this post every now and again.

Sep. Year 1
The zoo started out with four sharks, two male two female. Now there are eight, five female three male. I might release two of the babies when they get older. No growing yet.

Oct. Year 2
All of the babies just grew up and I released two of the female babies. Now there are three females and three males. Either then the babies, there hasn't been any growing. Hopefully we'll see some growing in the next year or so. I think I might have noticed a varient skin though, One is brownish gray with small, neat, almost aboriginal style dots in a straight line pattern. The other skin is more blue gray and the dots are bigger and less in a pattern. Upon request, I might put up a few pictures. Please stay tuned!

Feb Year 3
I just thought I'd let everyone know that the three females I have just gave birth. There are now twelve whale sharks. I'm going to release all but two of the babies when they grow. Still, no growing yet.

Oct Year 3
Well, not even the babies have grown yet. The adults are still not growing either, not even whale sharks 1-4.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:48:17 AM by Monster »

Offline aquariumboy

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
maybe its a random thing where once it gets to a point it either grows or it doesnt
i have had 2 out of 80 grow to a giant size (i didnt have 80 sharks in one tank iv had 80 in all) i would tell you how long it took but.... i really dont know lol i think the times that they grow are also random.

Offline Monster

• Pooper Scooper
It Grew!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2006, 06:50:16 PM »
Eurika!! It grew!! I found it in August Year 4. I'm busy at the moment so I'll post more pics later! I don't have any babies at the time, so I can't show all three sizes but here is the adult and older adult!!

Offline pokefan

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »
thats a BIG fish! and a Very Very  LONG time for  adulthood.......
 i dont play my zoos for even a year cause of them darn guests and the overpopulating animals and also the lackage of space in the zoo and boredom and i could go on and on

oh well too bad for me.....:crying:

is it truly real life possible for adolesent sharks to breed?:dindin:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 10:50:09 PM by mikaboshi »

Offline zooluv

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2006, 07:38:10 PM »
WOW!!! That is a big difference!

Offline Giraffedude

• Zookeeper
    • http://
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2006, 08:22:46 PM »
Wow Amazing probably one of the best things in MM

Offline Simba

• Zookeeper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2006, 06:23:52 AM »
That's so Great, thanks for posting that pic monster!

Offline Lt.Dan

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2006, 08:14:39 PM »
I love whale sharks. that is awsome, nice job.

Offline Rick

• Pooper Scooper
The Whale Shark Grows!!!
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2006, 08:19:10 PM »
Awesome!

How much bigger does it look in Guest mode?