Author Topic: Hippos underwater?  (Read 9562 times)

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »
It's in natural exhibits...no tanks. :wacko:

Offline Springfield Elephant

• Zookeeper
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »
I know this is a little off topic but its close to the same one, do animals play with toys in water now? Like the elephants or tigers playing with pursuit balls or plastic barrels in water? I dont get mm till christmas so i just want to know.

Offline Leopard

• Pooper Scooper
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 04:43:30 PM »
I just have the Demo but I know that the Dolphins play with the pink balls in the water. So other animals should.?.

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 03:54:07 AM »
Quote from: mikaboshi;157934
I think the reason why BF didn't code the crcos to go underwater is because of crocs usually are at the surface of the water, with just eyes and nostrils showing.

Taken from Animal Diversity Web:

"they often go into the water with only their eyes and nostrils showing and stay submerged"

Thats the upsetting thing though. Usually BF goes with whats realistic, not what is familiar. Nile Crocodiles spend most of their time while in the water completely submerged, usually at the bed of the river. First they made the Nile Crocodile an unrealistic lime green color, now they aren't upgrading them with the other aquatic animals. I find it very upsetting that my favorite animal in the whole game is getting left behind.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 04:03:04 AM »
Quote from: Megaraptor;158075
Thats the upsetting thing though. Usually BF goes with whats realistic, not what is familiar. Nile Crocodiles spend most of their time while in the water completely submerged, usually at the bed of the river. First they made the Nile Crocodile an unrealistic lime green color, now they aren't upgrading them with the other aquatic animals. I find it very upsetting that my favorite animal in the whole game is getting left behind.

Well, as we can see the skins are getting much better - BF is improving and sadly because it was one of the first skins made, it doesn't look as realistic. I know that KK made a reskin for it though, if you'd like to try that.

Also, it is realistic to have them not go underwater...the majority of time a croc is in water, its eyes and nostrils are still visible...that's why mother nature put them there. I'm sorry, but I just went to about 20 sites trying to prove you right, but not one of them said that they are usually completely submerged. If you find a site though, please post it as I would be extremely interested in it.

Bengal, have you tried the tanks/land then? If not, do so and see if you have the same problem. :happy:

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
i totally agree with you mega, and some varient skins or something would be nice. and it would help with privacy. oh, and it would be the most awesome hybrid exhibit. of course, i saw some crocs being completely submerged, sleeping down there and all. but that was on crocodile hunter.:crying: but i suppose they werent nile crocs.

oh, and id like to know if land animals will play with floating toys in the water, so i dont have to rescue the pursuit ball everytime my tigers:wub: knock it in.

Offline Megaraptor

• Marine Biologist
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 07:35:59 AM »
Quote from: mikaboshi;158084
Well, as we can see the skins are getting much better - BF is improving and sadly because it was one of the first skins made, it doesn't look as realistic. I know that KK made a reskin for it though, if you'd like to try that.

Also, it is realistic to have them not go underwater...the majority of time a croc is in water, its eyes and nostrils are still visible...that's why mother nature put them there. I'm sorry, but I just went to about 20 sites trying to prove you right, but not one of them said that they are usually completely submerged. If you find a site though, please post it as I would be extremely interested in it.

Bengal, have you tried the tanks/land then? If not, do so and see if you have the same problem. :happy:

I think you are misunderstanding the placement of the eyes and nostrils. They are placed their for conveniance while hunting. Saying crocodiles of any species spend most of their time at the surface of the water counteracts the entire reason they evolved nictating membranes on each of their eyes; These membranes protect the crocodiles eyes while it is underwater, something it wouldn't need if it remained at the surface for the majority of its time.

This also defeats the purpose of the highly specialized four-chambered heart, which is quite possibly the most advanced heart in the Reptile world. The heart specializes in oxygenating the blood, which allows them to stay completely submerged for up to two hours. They also have the ability to slow the beating of their heart, another trait used to stay underwater for more than just a few minutes. A crocodile wouldn't have evolved these things if they spent most of their time at the surface of the water.

You can't forget about behaviors, as these are just as important as any physical trait. When a crocodile feels threatened, in any way, shape or form, they aren't going to splash noisily into the water just to give away their location by staying at the surface. They are going to drop to the bottom of whatever body of water the had enough time to splash into, and wait for up to two hours until they feel safe. They also sleep underwater for an extended period of time, as sleeping at the surface is something a crocodile is smart enough to know not to do, and sleeping on the river bank can be just as dangerous as sleeping at the surface. Nothing is safer for a Nile Crocodile than a large waterlogged tree on the bottom of a river.

I feel that people tend to believe crocodiles spend most of their time at the waters surface, not that they do, because it is such a unique behavior, backed up with unique placement of the eyes, ears and nostrils. It is a popular behavior because every animal special on T.V. or every "scientific article" on the Internet feels the need to point this fact above all others. It is just a glorification of a physical trait used in hunting, as well as gaining oxygen. So, a crocodile would really need to return to the surface every one or two hours, then drop back down. Also, a crocodile will only hunt when it is hungry, and seeing how it is an ectothermic animal, this occurs anywhere from two to five times a month.

I hope i got some sort of a point across. You can check all the 20 websites you found, and you will see that everything I mentioned is what Herpetologists are currently believing in terms of crocodilian behavior. I also hope I didn't write too much.:blink:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:24:00 AM by Megaraptor »

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 05:57:53 AM »
Has the Nile monitor been updated as well? It can walk underwater (only in shallow water, I think), but I don't know is this is new with MM, because I got AA and MM together.

Offline eye_of_the_tiger

• Zookeeper
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
no, nothing really new for the monitor. i think its just a glitch.

Offline zookeeper601

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://www.freewebs.com/zk601navigation/
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 11:10:29 PM »
Actually I think I know what it is, all swimming animals (including surface swimming) can be placed on land (except most MM) and in shallow or deep water. The nile monitor is a small animal so when it is placed in shallow water, it appears walking underwater until it either reaches land to walk normally or goes into deep water where it will swim on the surface.

Offline Giraffedude

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »
so beavers cant go underwater either

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
Hippos underwater?
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2006, 12:31:01 PM »
Yes thats right you have to smooth an edge for them to get out or they just walk tell are to tried .

Offline Goldenmarmoset

• Pooper Scooper
Re: Hippos underwater?
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 06:52:03 PM »
Its true crocodiles dont dive underwater, I made a zoo with nothing but water and they didn't dive at all.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Re: Hippos underwater?
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »
BF already confirmed that they were not updated to go underwater