Author Topic: How Do You Edit With APE?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
How Do You Edit With APE?
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »
How do you you edit E.S. animals???????????? :huh  : :huh    :erm  :erm

As before - do NOT post in large font. It is considered 'shouting'.

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
First off, let's not name topics about who should see it, lets name them about what is inside of it. Second, please do not post so big as it is harder to read and agains the rules. Finally, although not in the rules, we prefer if people do not post in red because it is what the moderators/admins use.

Now: I am assuming that you are trying to use APE II and want to edit an ES animal. All the files will be in: C:Program FIles/Micrsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon 2. Then open x100_000.z2f and you can get any files there by following the path.

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:46:32 PM »
First off, let's not name topics about who should see it, lets name them about what is inside of it. Second, please do not post so big as it is harder to read and agains the rules. Finally, although not in the rules, we prefer if people do not post in red because it is what the moderators/admins use.

Now: I am assuming that you are trying to use APE II and want to edit an ES animal. All the files will be in: C:Program FIles/Micrsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon 2. Then open x100_000.z2f and you can get any files there by following the path.

I used red to atract attention!!! :(  Can you make a tourtourial or somthting? :w00t

The only attention you'll get from using both a large font and red writing is a warning. Please do not do this again.

Edit:Bye. Please help me tomorrow

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
I'm sorry but it is not that simple to just make a tutorial. It takes A LOT of work since making an animal itself is a lot of work and it is very complex. Maybe eventually I will make one, but it wouldn't be much fun for me.

I understand that red attracts attention but please do not use it, and also please do not post in large letters again. Thanks.

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
Just tell me where the files are located. :idea

This will be the LAST time you are warned about using large fonts. You mean small?

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:34:08 AM »
Originally posted by penguinman@Mar 29 2006, 06:42 PM
I already told you where the files are, see above...

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:36:37 AM »
I have to post this here: How do you edit plants?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 11:39:11 AM »
Hi, dinobird! First, just so you know, you don't have to put the size on your fonts. It sizes them automatically to that size 1.

Second, There are many, many topics on editing available using your Search button. Go to The Information Booth and also to the Navigation Site and there you will find directions for finding what you're looking for. I will tell you that next to animals, the plants in ES are the hardest things to do. First, before you even begin, you need to become aware of how files are 'put together' in ZT2 and/or ES. Make a copy of a user-made download and take it apart. Look carefully at the names for and inside of the files. You will be able to tell easily what was changed. For example, in the game there is no tree named Sitka Spruce, so if you 'take apart' the DT Sitka Spruce, and wherever you see the words "Sitka Spruce" you will know that that was something we had to change. Do you get what I mean? Hope so.

You will need several programs to edit files, too. A program called dxtbmp, a hex editor (such as WinHex, HexFLEX, Cygnus Hex Editor), and, most importantly - a good painting/photo program (like PSP or Adobe). It is technically possible to use MS Paint, but you will find it very unsatisfactory. I'm sure this will get you started. ;)

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 06:57:33 AM »
I have no where else to post this so I made an animal but I did evrey thing APE 2 told me but it will not show up in the game! I also tryed the program files and it still did not show up! :crying  I think it is because I do not have a DLL file. :idea  I have endangerd species.

Offline Doooot

• Copa Cabana
  • Marine Biologist
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 07:14:30 AM »
Well you already got some help from penguinman and Csleesburg, so try using those tips, try looking in the information booth section and try taking a download apart.

Zoo Tycoon 2 doesn't need a DLL file, it needs a DL file, which, I can't remember but I think is in the APE download, but it's just a matter of changing the name of the file and some small things inside it, check out this guide.

Offline DinoBird

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »
New project: Wild Wing World: the dinos of today mini-expansion pack. It is going fine except I have a question: I am making a animal out of the female Peacock(Peafowl) but I do not understand how to make the male have the same graphics as the female. I think should either delite the male graphics or delite the male graphics then copy the female graphics and rename the copys to male (please try to understand the long question.).  What should I do? :huh I need help; there are lots of people begging for this.

I am still jumping betwen projects. I am going to try to make a Compy (Compsognathus) out of the baby peafowl but I do not want it to fly. Compys did not fly. Help. :8

Offline ZTDinoFor2

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 11:10:50 AM »
Hi Im new here. So APE 2 says to only work if you have "1.0 BETA animal editing only" so the animal cant get to the game!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 12:56:20 PM by ZTDinoFor2 »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
Quote from: ZTDinoFor2;168244
Hi Im new here. So APE 2 says to only work if you have "1.0 animal editing only" so the animal cant get to the game!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're talking about editing a ZT1 animal, yes? If so, this needs moved to ZT1 Editing. If you're talking about ZT2, you've got the wrong APE. :original: :merry: :gbman:

Offline ZTDinoFor2

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 04:48:30 AM »
Oh realy!?! You sould look in the guidbook of APE2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 04:57:56 AM »
It's quite difficult to understand you due to the amount of punctuation you use, if you could calm down a bit and explain yourself more we might be able to help you :)

The APE2 tutorial works reasonably well to help you edit animals for ZT2.  If you have a problem with some aspect of the tutorial, lots of people here are ready and willing to help you if you explain a bit further :)

Offline ZTDinoFor2

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »
Well I cant get my animal to ZT2!! And i did what APE2 Said!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 11:48:53 AM by ZTDinoFor2 »

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »
APE II doesn't give all the necessary instructions for making animals. Since ES came out, it needs to be re-done, but the author (Sideshow Bob) isn't going to do that. Therefore, you need to ask specific questions in the Technical Section of the Forums (e.g. How Do I Get the Zoopedia to Work?). People who know how to code (Penguinman, Mikaboshi, Shen Tirag) will come along and answer your questions. But, remember, BE SPECIFIC with your questions. Do not ask things like "my animal won't appear what's wrong?". :original:
:merry: :gbman:

Offline ZTDinoFor2

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
I Finally made a download animal but not here yet!!

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
That makes no sense. What do you mean, it's "not here yet". Do you mean you uploaded it to the database? If so, it has to be approved by RND before it's available. And, since you're still asking for help, I doubt that's what you meant at all.:wink:

Offline ZTDinoFor2

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 07:43:05 AM »
Its not here yet means that its not at ZA For download!!:crying:

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »
Quote from: ZTDinoFor2;168831
Its not here yet means that its not at ZA For download!!

If it's not available for down, STOP asking for coders and skinners. Obviously you haven't made it yet or you wouldn't be asking for them. You're going about this all wrong, ZTDinoFor2. The procedure is to download APE II, read it, do as it says, THEN post your questions as to how/why the animal doesn't appear or any other problems. Then WAIT for someone to answer. That's how it works here at ZA. Most of the knowledgeable people are off on Christmas Holidays right now, so don't expect a real quick answer to your questions.

STOP saying "it's not here", also. That is just SPAMMING and will get you in trouble. Be patient and be SPECIFIC when you ask questions about making your animal. Until it appears in ZT2 and you can show a picture of it, stop saying you made an animal or "it's not here yet". I hope this information aids you in your making an animal. :whistling