Author Topic: Help with coding  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:11 PM »
First off i have both expansions for Zt2 and am using ApeII,winzip,winrar,MSpaint ( i can install photoshop if its alot better let me know ,notepad, and DXTbmp.  I have no coding experience but am a fairly good free hand artist as well as graphic and  very creative but not sure how well it will translate to skinning i also have alot of free time and am a quick learner that being said heres my problem.

Alright i decided to try to make some animals because you guys have really inspired me to try i thought i had done everything right but when i go in game and test it before i reskin like it says to for ape II and theres a spot there but no picture its a pure white square that when clicked on crashes the game.  I changed the it so the lemur likes temeperate, tropicial and dedicious forest also i looked at the "" around it and they seemed fine so if anyone can tell me any reasons there might be some white square there that crashes the game instead of a lemur let me know what would be best is if u told me when should be in each folder and such.

TYVM in advance if u need more info let me know i will try my best to anwser!
:IloveZA:

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Help with coding
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
OK. Well, that is the most common error.

Usually it is because you:
1. Did not rename all .dds files (this will cause the white box)
2. Did not correctly edit the .bfm and .nif files (this will cause the crash).

So, did you do both those things?

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »
Alright i had not renamed the dss files they were still called LemurRingtailed instead of LemurMadagascar and what do i need to make sure i did to the .bfm and .nif the dss files are called Lemur_Adult_Dirty.dds do i rename it like Madga_Adult_Dirty.dss or some also what are TGA files for what do i do to them and should i be renaming the files that said Ringtailed and be replacing them with Madagascar
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:47:35 PM by Daveman »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Help with coding
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »
should i be renaming the files that said Ringtailed and be replacing them with Madagascar

Yes

what do i need to make sure i did to the .bfm and .nif

In the .bfm you replace the codename on just 2 lines. The first, and the one after the huge block of text. This is in APE II somwhere I believe.

For nif you open them with a hex editor. Then you search for .dds and replace the codename there.

dss files are called Lemur_Adult_Dirty.dds do i rename it like Madga_Adult_Dirty.dss

Yes, exactly

what are TGA files for what do i do to them

Delete them, you won't need em.

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
One question
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:21:29 PM »
when u say replace the code name in the editor does that mean where it says the word Lemur i replace it with my code name Madag for example this line  ...Lemur_LOD0... i would replace that line with ...Madag_LOD0...   or would i replace the line only two lines with .dds after then which would be ...rtlemur_map.dds and tiger_blink.dds and what would i put there for example for the rtlemur_map would i put say malemur_map.dds and the other with lemur_blink.dds i will add more questiosn after u respond and once again ty so much for helping me
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:00:16 PM by Daveman »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Help with coding
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
No,

the ONLY place where you change codename is: rtlemur_map

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
I fixed all the problems but have a few new ones
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »
Alright i gave up on lemur started from scratch with a elephant i am making for the desert everything about him works except he doesn't use shelters or toys and i can't figure out where the description and fun facts go like on what line what comes right before it i would also like to know how to make it so the endangered icon appears on adoption screen. How to make it so he likes large elephant shelters and how to get him to like a pursuit ball, tire, and barrel?

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Help with coding
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:25:40 PM »
Well most of what you are saying can be fixed by using ES ai. YOu will need to get all xml files and all ai files from x100_000.z2f

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:56 PM »
Quote from: penguinman
Well most of what you are saying can be fixed by using ES ai. YOu will need to get all xml files and all ai files from x100_000.z2f

So i gotta re-do all the programming? i realize its not much programming just a hassle
but i go not the x100_000.z2f  if so to be clear should i not use the folders that come with ape II?

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Help with coding
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:54:28 AM »
You can and should still use the folders APE II provided, but just not the files.

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 08:58:06 AM »
Ah ok i understand k thanks

Offline p.b.7090

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 08:08:48 AM »
I cant get win hex to work and its not a choice to open nif files with.

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
Help with coding
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 09:51:56 AM »
You could try XVI32 HERE, but winhex should work...

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Help with coding
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 10:22:59 AM »
Quote from: p.b.7090
I cant get win hex to work and its not a choice to open nif files with.

I could never get it to work on MY computer, either. It kept saying it wasn't for my OS (which is XP)?? I finally got a wonderful program called Cygnus, which you can Download Here. It has a 30 day trial, but it's only $29.

Offline p.b.7090

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »
thanks i tryed winzip but i couldn't get it to replace anything. i tryed ur programs and they worked better

Good. This is not the place for this (try editing) but WinZip isn't a hex editor anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:08:54 PM by csleesburg »

Offline p.b.7090

• Pooper Scooper
Help with coding
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 04:25:12 PM »
Quote from: p.b.7090
thanks i tryed winzip but i couldn't get it to replace anything. i tryed ur programs and they worked better

Good. This is not the place for this (try editing) but WinZip isn't a hex editor anyway.

Sorry did I say WINZip i meant WinHEX