Author Topic: Help with skinning  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with skinning
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »
I am not sure if anyone has asked this yet but i really love the work our skinners do and i was wondering how they do it i was planning on copying suitable images of the animals from image search then editing them to fit is this the proper method or what do u guys do please include the programs u use and such

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Help with skinning
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
Well, Daveman, that's not a bad idea, but first some questions:

1) Do you have ES and/or AA?
2) What painting/photo program do you have?
3) Have you downloaded APE II from our Downloads section?
4) Do you have WinZip or WinRAR?

Give us a little more info, and we can help you a little better. :original:

Offline Daveman

• Pooper Scooper
Help with skinning
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »
1. I have both

2. PSP x

3.Yes

4. Both

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Help with skinning
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:42:13 PM »
Great! Thanks for answering so quickly. You have all that's needed to begin making your own creations, then.

In the Design Team, we suggest people begin with an object, rather than an animal, because it's stationary, has less coding, and is just flat easier. That way, you can get your 'fingers wet' with coloring objects on your painting program (which is an excellent one).

If you're determined to start with an animal, though, we also suggest you first begin by downloading the Variable Animal Tutorial (VAT), available here at ZA, made by Penguinman (the Master Coder). Make several variants for animals that exist already, and you'll become more comfortable with working with the 'skins' (which look like 'pelts', by the way). That way, you'll get a better idea of what on the 'pelt'/skin appears where on the actual animal. (You'd be surprised when something you think is on its back shows up on its foot)! :laughing:

When you've done 1-2 of those sucessfully (meaning they appear in your game), then download APE II, a download by Sideshow Bob, also available here at ZA. After that, you'll have a ton of questions, so feel free to post them, and we'll do our best to help you. :original: