Author Topic: I have a bit of a delimma...  (Read 1639 times)

Offline shaon

• Pooper Scooper
I have a bit of a delimma...
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:05:01 AM »
What is considered using Complete Collection?

I've been missing both my regular ZT disk, and my CC-MM+DD disk.

So, I've been using my CC's ZT disk, and my regular MM+DD disk.

Is this considered using Complete Collection? Do I have to take any special measures or something?

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 12:13:03 PM »
I was going to say "If you have all the Offical Downloads, including the Endangered Species Animals, then you have CC" but then I got to thinking that it may not be quite that simple, as you say you have installed CC at one time, but due to a missing disc problem you want to know if you are still "running on" CC. It is my understanding/experiance that the "main thing" (best thing! ) that makes CC different from "running on" ZT+DD+MM (aside, of coarse from including all* the Offical Downloads) is the inclusion of the dlupdates folder.

With CC, the new dlupdates folder is read before the other folders, which makes it an easier (less-conflicted) place to stash (most) the User Made dohickys that you want to add to your game.If you are playing strait ZT+DD+MM (or ZT, ZT+DD or ZT+MM) then your only choice is to put (most) User Made things in the Updates folder. In some instances, this was causeing conflicts with Offical stuff, which I suspect was why BlueFang added the dlupdates folder to CC in the first place! (I say "most", as some User stuff has a different folder-placement requirement, but 99% of the time, it's ethier the dlupdates or Updates one.)

So my advise would be to:

Find your Zoo Tycoon folder (with Windows Explorer), and look to see if you have a folder called dlupdates.If not, then you are not "running on" CC.

If yes (and you should, since you say you did install CC at one time) then take a peek inside it. If there are things in it, do they show up when you play the game?

If not, then- again- you are not "running on" a true CC.

If the dlupdates folder is empty (and it comes that way- you have to fill it yourself) then the easiest thing to do is download a User Made Animal/Scenary (avoid Buildings at first, so you don't have to fool with DLL files) and put the ZTD in the dlupdate folder.

Boot up your game, open up a Freeform Map and check to see if the Animal/Object is available.

If yes, then you can classify yourself as truely "running on" CC!

If no, then you know that your game can't read the dlupdates folder, so you don't "really" have CC, and will just need to remember to put any User Things you download into your Updates folder.

-ZW

P.S. While you could move an Offical ZTD Animal/Object file from one of your other folders into the dlupdates to check it, remember that unless you have a Freeform Unlock, many Offical Animals/Objects will not show up at the start of a Freeform Map. Useing a Senario Map isn't a sure thing ethier, as offten certain things are coded "off limits" during certain Serarios. User Made stuff doesn't have this problem, (at least, not in Freeform) which is why I recomended a User thing to test your dluptades folder.

* Don't ask me why, but the Sable Antelope was not included with CC. You have to download it seperately.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 01:40:10 AM by alloy61 »

Offline shaon

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 06:30:12 PM »
Checked my Zoo Tycoon file, I do in fact have a dlupdate folder. I also have a dupdate folder, a ZUPDATE folder, and a ZUPDATE1 folder. Is that normal? They all have files that I have not put in there manually.

Going to test to see if the game reads files from my dlupdate, hold on.

Okay. Since I'm currently holding off from downloading any user-made animals, I used the Sable Antelope (antelope.ztd, anyway,), combined with the Freeform unlock. They showed up.

Thank you for your help.

Also, I'm not completely sure why, but I did not get anything from the endangered species pack, that is probably on the MM+DD disk that I'm missing. I actually had to manually download most of the offical animals. I did happen to have a few of them in my Updates folder, but they did not show up ingame for some reason.

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:38:51 PM »
CC=Complete Collection

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:04:23 AM »
Oops! Sorry! To further clarify things for any newbies (to Zoo Tycoon 1) out there....

ZT = The original ZT game.
ZT1 = Same thing, just stresses the 1 not 2 point. (They are always discussed on seprate forums to help avoid confusion!
DD = Dino Digs, the 1st ZT1 Expansion Pack
MM = Marine Mania, the 2nd ZT1 Expansion Pack
CC = Zoo Tycoon 1 Complete Collection, which simply includes ALL the above Expansion Packs, and all the Offically created Animals/Objects/Senarios/ect. (Except the poor Sable Antelope! He was left out for some reason, and if you want him, you gotta download him yourself!)
EXP = shorthand for Expansion Pack

Then, we also have
MB = Monkey Business, a User Created EXP that features monkeys.
WW = Wild Wings, another User Made EXP, that features birds/etc.
UXP = User Expansion Pack, an AWESOME User Pack that adds lots of User Made senarios to your game!
(There are some Christmas/Halloween/etc. User Made Packs too, but they don't have "Offical Initials", so to speak.)

*Now, back to the actual topic, already in progress!*

It's odd that you don't have any of the Offical Endangered Speices animals (that came with CC) but if your game if reading stuff from your dlupdate folder, that certainly means that it thinks it's a true CC! (The Offical Downloads/Endangered Animals are usually found in a folder called Updates. If you decide to download them, this would be a good alternative place to stick them.)

Yes, it's normal to have all those other folders. They contain the different animals/objects/scenary/staff-upgrades that came with the different expansion packs and Offical Download Collections. There is even a dupdate, which looks alot like the coveted dlupdate one, so if you ever do decide to add user stuff (and there really are some nice/cool ones) just make sure you're using the dlupdate one!

Glad to know that my rambeling post was actually of some help!

-ZW

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
When you have just ZT + DD + MM you will also have a dlupdates folder. BF included the dlupdates folder with the release of Marine Mania as well as Complete Collection.

That is most likely the reason for the dlupdates folder and your not having all the Endangered Species content.