Author Topic: Buggy Tortoise?  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Spider Monkey

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Buggy Tortoise?
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:41:33 PM »
Personally, I always enjoy the "Clothing Optional" Days at the zoo.  I have a number of pictures that I think are hilarious but this is a family site.  All I can say is that it's a good thing my zoos sell t-shirts!

For those with this problem, defragmenting your hard drive cleans it right up.

My worst bug is while playing the Breeding Zoo campaign, the Galapagos Giant Tortoise crashes my computer *every* time.  I've tried everything, playing under different user names (lots of people in my family play ZT2), under different users in Windows XP etc.  I have to hard reboot to get out when it hangs.  It's definitely the Galapagos Giant Tortoise.  

I haven't read this whole thread, but I wonder if others have encountered this (I'll go back and check).  I'd really like to figure this out because my son is dying to get the breeding center.

FWIW, I did long ago get the breeding center, but only after multiple crashes.  I can't any more.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:44:24 AM »
The tortoise problem is discussed here as well as here. I thought there were more detailed threads on it, but I can't seem to locate them..

Offline Spider Monkey

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
Thank you.  Any word whether the developers are aware of this bug?

Is there a definitive list of bugs (other than this thread?)

I guess I'll get the hack to help my son win the scenario.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:18:05 PM »
Other bugs are discussed here

Offline BFScottMacmillan

• Blue Fang Community Representative
  • Zoo Admin V.I.P
  • Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »
Hey all,

I've heard a couple things about the tortoise being buggy.  Talk to me - whatcha got?  :)

The one that I have so far is that he crashes the game to desktop.  If you've had this happen, can you get it to happen with just a tortoise exhibit in it?

It's extremely helpful to us if you guys can repro the bug, but only if it narrows down the possible culprits.  For instance, say you place a tortoise in a full zoo, and the game crashes.  It could be the tortoise... but it could just be a coincidence in timing, or it could be a combination of the tortoise and some other seemingly unrelated thing halfway across the zoo.  So - when you guys can give us very specific and simple repro's of the bug, it can save us a ton of time in tracking it down.

Thanks!

Scott

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:34:32 PM »
Thanks, Scott! members, please be specific in the situation you are reporting for BF. Don't give 'vague' reports like "I put in a tortoise and it crashed". They want to know if you had other animals, which ones, etc. Let us give them as much help as we can, please. If possible, tell what map, scenario, challenge you are using, too. Thanks.

Scott, we will keep this as 'clean' as possible for you.

Offline OrcaRat

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »
oooh glad it's just not me, I've been wondering wether to post on here about it as i've had this trouble too. It's the galapagos tortoise.
Whenever I click on it from the animal adoption bit the game just goes off back to desktop. Even when I downloaded a zoo from here that had one in, it was all fine right until I went to the tortoise exhibit and the tortoise came into view, then it just crashed :unsure:

I thought something I downloaded may have conflicted with it or something so I unstalled everything to do with zoo tycoon and made sure all the userdownloads were deleted, I haven't used any hacks or anything. I re-installed the game but it was the same :hmmm:

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 01:02:24 PM »
As was stated above have you tried with a freeform zoo and just using the tortoise to see if it is isssues with sizes of zoos.  so please try with a small zoo and just the tortoise .

Offline OrcaRat

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »
I've just started a brand new free-form small city zoo, nothing else in there at all.
I clicked on the tortoise from the adoption panel and it was ok, so I built a fence and the very second I clicked to place the tortoise the game just went off and returned to the desktop
HTH

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »
Hmm... yes the tortoise.

The first time I used the tortoise was when me and a friend were putting down random animals, and a clicked on the tortoise and it crashed. The other animals I had were komodo dragons, fennec foxes, and I think I also had camels...

The second time, it wasn't as bad. I don't remember the zoo I had it in, but I know it was a large map size, and was most likley the grassland map (the one in N.America, not Austrailia) because I really liked the map at that time. I could click on the tortoise, and place it, but as soon as it moved the game crashed.

The last time I used it was when I was doing a campain game - The second one for the Endangered campain. It was like "Endangered Species Breeding Center" Or something. It required me to put a tortoise in, so I did. And it was fine for a while, so I decided to build the next exhibit, but when I zoomed out, the shells of the tortoise looked like they had had turned yellow, and the game crashed.  

Now I can put a tortoise in, and the game works and all, but crashes a lot with them (and I usually don't have crashes). I think one possible culprit might be a shading problem...?

During that period, I didn't have any major changes (or minor, for that matter) to the computer, exept the new exps.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 11:28:33 PM »
again it would be helpful when you post about the turtle if you could give system specs as the more informatin avaialble the better.

Offline PsychicZookeeper

• Copa Cabana
  • Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:39:39 PM »
I never had a problem with the Galapagos tortoise until I installed MM2, although I cannot say if I used the tortoise with the AA expansion before MM2, I just don't remember.  Other members at ZT Unleashed have reported problems at various times.

My game was crashing when I had an assortment of animals and I couldn't tell which tortoise was the problem.  I opened a new Boreal Small Freeform map, added the galapagos tortoise and the game crashed, sometimes to the desktop, sometimes the entire computer froze and I had to restart it, which my computer did not like. :angry:  It did not matter whether it was male or female.  There was nothing else in the zoo at all.  The longest the game ran with the galapagos tortoise was about one minute.  a few times, the game was able to send an error report, but usually it crashed too fast or hard to do that.

It also seems to have a graphics issue.  There is a black blob/blotch roughly the size of the shell at the top right of the shell.  It's hard to tell exactly because often the game crashed the instant the Galapagos tortoise is added and there is no opportunity to see the animal.  Only a couple of times did the game run long enough to get a glimpse of the g.tortoise.

I tried to open my zoo created from just the ES expansion pack from the "Endangered Species Zoo" scenario, and that crashed as well.  Obviously, it was not crashing before because I successfully built and ran that zoo for many game-months with the galapagos tortoise.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:43:14 PM by PsychicZookeeper »

Offline mak1027

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 09:23:16 AM »
I also have a problem with the Galapagos Tortoise crashing my game ....I am running a vanilla version of ZT-Zookeeper Collection ....no user created downloads installed at all .... I was trying to complete the Endangered Species Scenario to unlock the breeding center ....the 2nd scenario in that section where you have to breed a tortoise and release one to the wild ....as soon as I clicked on it in the control panel I got the dreaded ZT has encountered an error and has to close ....report or not report....blah, blah, blah, you know the message ....well I tried it several times ...crashed every time ...reported the error every time ...then found this thread.  I went back into the game and tried on a small, empty map in freeform to purchase a tortoise and the same crash occurred ...it does not seem to matter which map I am on, or what else is in the zoo ...

some specs on my comp from dxdiag ....
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
       System Model: PCV-RX670(UC)
               BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
             Memory: 512MB RAM
          Page File: 288MB used, 959MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002D&SUBSYS_40031043&REV_15
   Display Memory: 32.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
          Monitor: SONY CPD-G220R
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

I know I am on the low end of the video card spectrum for this game, but have never had a problem running the game, as a matter of fact, performance is better than ever since I got the Zookeepers collection ....ZT2 on its own ran a little slow on my machine

Well that's all I have for now ...if you need any more info just let me know ...I want to solve this so I can beat the scenario ...I edited the options.xml to beat it for now, but would like to beat it for real and be able to buy a tortoise

edit: okay...I have an update ....I was playing for a while over the weekend without the tortoise and noticed a few other problems I have .... My buildings no longer have any npc's associated with them ...the food stands, carts, animal photo booth, etc ...all the buildings where normally you can see the vendor you no longer can ...people can still buy from these places and sometimes you see fingers attached to the money when you get change, but no people ...you can see some pics here
http://home.epix.net/~mak1027/album.html
Also, when my animals have babies, the stars and beam from the sky does not appear ....the baby just appears ....So i decided to uninstall and re-install the game to see what happens ....and oddly enough I can buy the Tortoise now in a blank zoo and one with animals in it ....but the npc's have not returned ...So now I am wondering, in my first installation of the game I did challenge mode first and unlocked all the themed buildings and stuff and then started the campaigns ...so maybe it is something that is unlocked in the challenges that is interfering with the tortoise ??? Because so far I have just played campaigns and the Tortoise is ok ....I will start playing the challenges and see if anything happens to the tortoise as each theme is unlocked ....but it may take me a few days to find the time to get through them, so be patient.  As for the npcs and the baby beam I am clueless, but it doesn't really effect gameplay so I am not all the worried about it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 05:33:27 AM by mak1027 »

Offline turtleman2351

• Zookeeper
  • Mr. Doesn't post a lot.
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
Hey Scott.
Actually, ever since I got MM the tortoise (and all tortoise related downloads) has been working fine.  When I had just AA it was buggy, and like most of the stories here, (I'd place it in a plain, fresh, freeworld zoo, any, and it would crash to the desktop).  After I got MM, it works fine. My graphics are on high, if that helps.

Offline dinomaster30

• Zookeeper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 06:46:17 AM »
i havent been having problems with any kind of reptile. i know that i have all offical things for zt2(downloads,extras,premiums,exps) and i cant say about my comp systams, oh and ive always had the graphics on default (i think thats medium?) except i once changed to high for a day to see the difference.

Offline BFScottMacmillan

• Blue Fang Community Representative
  • Zoo Admin V.I.P
  • Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
Hey all,

Apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner - things have been very crazy around work right now, especially with Turkey Day.

If you are having trouble with this, can you please let me know what kind of video card you have on your system?  Also, if you know how to get the information, what version of the video drivers you're using?

Thanks!

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 04:18:13 PM »
I'm having the problem- I have a Nvidia GeForce 4000. Not exactly sure what version of the drivers I'm using, but if it means if my drivers are up to date- yes they are.

Offline mak1027

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 06:06:28 AM »
Just an update ....since re-installing my game ....ZT2-Zookeepers Collection version ....I re-played through all the scenarios and challenges and unlocked everything and the Tortoise is working fine so far ...as for my people not being in their buildings ...I didn't realize I had the display settings so low ...when I put them back up to medium everything is fine.  I have since added MM2 and the Tortoise is still okay.

Just a note on video drivers .....not sure if it applies to ZT2 or not ....I have an NVidia Riva TNT2 model 64pro video card....which is pretty low end for this game and it still runs okay ...but I am using driver 4.1.0.9 which is not the most current driver available ....the reason I will not update the driver is because the last time I updated it, ZT1 would not run properly ...so I rolled it back .... just because you have the latest driver does not necessarily mean it is the best one available for this game ...if all else fails try going back to an older driver and see what happens ....if it doesn't help you can always update again

Offline Taipan

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:10 AM »
I've never had a bug...

Offline FantasiUllis

• Pooper Scooper
Zt2 Crashes when i use Galapagps Turtles =(
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 01:15:53 AM »
Everytime i use them it crashes wich make the breeding scenario pretty hard because i have to use them to get to the last scenario...is there a patch for this? :juggle:

Offline Silver_Gryphon

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 01:19:04 AM »
that's never happened to me... do you have any hacks or other stuff that you've downloaded? cos that might be stuffing your game up. If you don't, then I really have no idea as to what your problem could be.

Offline FantasiUllis

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 03:13:44 AM »
Nooo i havent..no downloads...tried to install everything again but still it crashes.. maybe something is missing, it is only the turtles that makes it crash, i reall wanted the breeding center but now i cant =(

Offline Bep-Boi

• Zookeeper
  • The name's Boi. Bep-Boi.
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 03:19:23 AM »
Many people who have mm are expieriencing this.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 03:45:33 AM »
I normally wouldn't allow a duplicate post or topic but in this case I think you should also post this in the questions for Blue Fang thread so the Blue Fang rep that visits ZA can look into this problem and Blue Fang can hopefully provide a patch to fix the crashing issue.

Offline FantasiUllis

• Pooper Scooper
Buggy Tortoise?
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 07:44:24 AM »
and where do i find that thread? Thanks for all support :)