Author Topic: Opaque Tank Walls?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:20:29 PM »
Upon seeing the pretty little animal houses that seem to be popular, I thought I would try and make one myself. However, when I went to my game and tried, I discovered that I don't have any opaque tank walls. Well, I do, but when I place them, they are clear. Maybe I'm attempting to go about doing this wrong. The acrylic walls are like normal glass walls, it's just the opaque ones..they aren't concrete looking, just clear. I've been looking around for two days on this subject, trying to find a similar problem or topic like it. I was hoping someone could maybe point me in the right direction as to why this would occur or how I could fix it. Thank you in advance.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »
There's a good chance that your graphic settings might be too low in some areas.  Try maxing out object detail and things related to object graphics in advanced detail in options/settings and see if that works.

Oh and by the way, Welcome To Zoo Admin!!!!

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:58:28 PM »
I thought that might have been the reason as well so I had already changed the settings before I posted. That hadn't had any affect either. My specs aren't the greatest, but I haven't had troubles with my graphics any other time.. I was thinking of reinstalling, Perhaps that would help, though I'm not sure if that would mess with any of my already finished campaigns and saved zoos, even though it shouldn't..Oh well..maybe I'll play around with it after I finish my precal. I was just hoping there was a simple fix. Thanks for the help and the welcome. It was very much appreciated. : :) :

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:01:45 PM »
hmmm, that is very strange.  I would definitely try re-installing.  And you won't lose your saved files if you do not click on delete saved games and files, that's what I did. And you're welcome.

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:16:19 PM »
I uninstalled and then reinstalled again but there were not any changes. I suppose it could be my graphics card, it's not any good. I guess walls just don't like me.. Oh well, I'll be fine without those uber cool animal houses. I can just wait for a tank wall download..Thanks once again for the help.

Just to show what I'm talking about, here's an image. The one on the right is supposed to be the opaque tank walls, while as the one on the left is the normal acrylic glass walls.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:18:33 AM by Tiger Lily »

Offline NakitiDL

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:19:21 PM »
Actually, I have this same problem. So maybe it's a bug? Except I haven't seen many people post about it..

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 12:29:24 AM »
Hmm, i haven't had this problem, the only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem is graphics settings which has already been suggested, but have you tried setting it to one of the default modes? like balanced detail, best detail etc. instead of selecting different options on advanced settings. Sorry thats all I can think of.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »
a bit of a silly question but have you made sure you have actually clicked and higlighted the opaque walls, sometimes ive done that and i havent quite clicked the the opaque one so it uses the glass ones.

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:15:22 PM »
Yeah, I've already changed the graphic settings in many different ways. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the fence file itself..maybe there isn't a texture there? I don't know, I'm not that knowledgeble when it comes to these things..I'll try testing some other different things out I guess.. There is a clear difference between an opaque fence and an acrylic one, the opaque fence is 100% transparent. While as the acrylic tank looks as though it has glass. Meh, oh well. Thanks for everyone who is trying to help.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »
Wow, this is a toughie:hmmm:   You know what, I would check in that tool bar that allows you to make things transparent and visible, like elevated pathways, guests, foliage, etc.  There is a chance you might have made fences invisible?

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 05:56:05 PM »
Ergh, I almost thought that would solve it, but once again, nothing. I suppose it's not that important..

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 05:39:30 AM »
I have one more idea.:laughing:   Go into your settings and put everything on best detail, go into your game and see if it is visible, and finally go into advanced details and lower everything that would not have anything to with your tank.  But check once and a while to see if you accidentally may have lowered one of the settings that made it visible.

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 08:26:43 PM »
Meh, I've reinstalled it once again, even in a different order to see if it would work. Though, it did nothing. I've changed all my settings to the lowest, and then to the highest and then to just in between. Oh well, looks as though it hates me. I suppose I could always ask for technical support, but until I get a new graphics card, I'm not going to bother. Thank you muchos grande once again. I appreciate everyone trying to help and making me feel very welcome.:original:

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »
Hi there Tiger Lily-

Exactly what type of graphics card do you have? I really haven't heard of many others having this problem, but maybe you and a select few have a graphics card that the game could be buggy with. If you would kinly give us your system specs and graphics card info, maybe BF would see and include the fix in their next patch. :wink:

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:45:42 AM »
I tried, I'm sorry I can't think of anything else, but your very welcome.

Offline Tiger Lily

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:17:25 AM »
I have a Sis graphics card, not very good. It's like not having one at all. I just got my computer fixed from being fried, and..this is the graphics card I got. I'm hoping for christmas my dad will maybe..give me a Nvidia or Radeon or really anything other than the default card I have right now. I would give system specs but it's pretty much basic, nothing special. I only have 512 ram right now, but should be getting 1gb. Our computer guy forgot to give me the extra 500 :angry: Thanks again though.

Offline Bep-Boi

• Zookeeper
  • The name's Boi. Bep-Boi.
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 03:46:02 PM »
I have the same as you, TigerLily. But I have a 1gb ram :original:
I have been having the Opaque problem too. I really hope i get that new graphics card!

Offline aquariumboy

• Pooper Scooper
Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
i had the same type of problem with alot of games (the colors werent right) till i got my laptop with a 512mb graphics card and 1gb of ram. once i got my laptop it all ended sence i could finaly run games on high settings. if i were you i would get a better graphics card and look into some more ram.

Offline BottleNoseDolphin1

• Zookeeper
Re: Opaque Tank Walls?
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »

I have a Sis graphics card, not very good. It's like not having one at all. I just got my computer fixed from being fried, and..this is the graphics card I got. I'm hoping for christmas my dad will maybe..give me a Nvidia or Radeon or really anything other than the default card I have right now. I would give system specs but it's pretty much basic, nothing special. I only have 512 ram right now, but should be getting 1gb. Our computer guy forgot to give me the extra 500 :angry: Thanks again though.

Yes get a nividia, its very good  ;)
I have 1gig of RAM right now with a nividia and ZT2: MM2 works like a charm :)

Offline Tazzie-Tiger99

• Zookeeper
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »
i have a simmilar problem

the opaque walls appear and are opaque up close but at a distance it is clear and i see the sky

and when i move closer the wall appears again

very odd

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 03:17:25 PM »
Tazzie-Tiger99, are your graphics set to high?

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
It does appear to be a graphics problem, but I noticed that the coding for the opaque walls is VERY strange.... I doubt I could fix it or anything, but I wouldnt be surprised if the coding abnormalities cause strange things on lower graphics.  :eggblink :eggsad