Author Topic: increase in lagging!!!  (Read 8818 times)

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:40:17 PM »
this might be a toughie to figure out but...i had ZT2, ES, AA, & DD (installed in that order) as soon as i got MM2....the game has slowed down sooooooooooooooooo much....the lagging has increased by a HUGE amount.....it was running fine w/out it (like super fast) then it just slowed down.....help??: :( :

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:56:12 PM »
You have to remember that you just added 20 animals, more scenery objects, more foliage, new tanks, new buildings, etc. That in itself will add more lag.

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:09:14 PM »
And the graphics are way better. I reccomend changing your options to "Best Preformance" or "Balanced"

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
ok thanks....i was wondering if it was just me...i am supposed to get a new computer soon with more RAM on it so i should be fine after that...thanks though!!

Offline wolfkid92

• Scientist
  • The Wolf Within
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:33:08 PM »
plus all of the animations on the plants tend to slow the game a bit.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »
yah..i noticed that the plants starting moving as soon as i installed MM2!! :)

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 12:10:42 PM »
Here's another tip, you can save good quality grahics on some things if you make some of your graphic settings really low or disabled that you don't care about, and ones you do care about max out to high or enabled.  This way you can save quality and not lag so much.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 12:53:01 PM »
thanks...i will try that! :)

Offline Iwuvmyparakeetz

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
Yeah...The same thing happened with me. Like evryone is sayin' i had 2 lower my graphics

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 05:20:34 PM »
yeah i did it and it worked i just wish it could go higher....well i am getting a new computer soon w/ more ram sooo it should run faster!! :)

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 08:10:56 PM »
It may not be a RAM issue.  MM2 requires a faster processor 1 ghz vs 733 mhz and a video card with more on-board memory 32 mb vs 16 mb.

These are two things you may want to consider when ordering/buying the new computer.

Offline zoo_tycoon2

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 08:50:35 PM »
well i just added the zookeepers collection to my ZT2 (already had zt2, the ZC was cheaper that buying es and aa) and now i can go underwater (in the deep) and the plants sway in the breeze..so...

-brett.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 12:19:58 PM »
well on the back of the mm2 box..it says at least 256 megs of ram...i have that...but sometimes when i start the game it says you need at least 256 megs of ram (224 detected) i don't know what to do

Offline zoo_tycoon2

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »
Quote from: seaworldgurl1;162642
well on the back of the mm2 box..it says at least 256 megs of ram...i have that...but sometimes when i start the game it says you need at least 256 megs of ram (224 detected) i don't know what to do

delete stuff...

i had to delete a bunch of music and videos (that i dont need) from my computer
i had 340mb or ram, and now i have 1280mb...

-brett.

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 09:32:52 PM »
Try shutting down some of your background programs, like your virus program, screensaver, instant messengers (like yahoo, msn, aim).  Just be sure to turn on the virus program before you get back on the internet.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:20 AM »

I have the same problem, only I have 254 MB.  Just a tip, don't have any other programs running while you are playing this, and don't build a large zoo all at one time.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:21 AM »
i had to delete a bunch of music and videos (that i dont need) from my computer
i had 340mb or ram, and now i have 1280mb...

That's not RAM, that's hard disk space.  You can't delete suff to create more RAM, it's a physical componenet of your computer.

Anyway, that does raise an issue.  To get more performance out of the RAM you have got, do not run many programs at once - it may be advisable to run some spyware/virus scanning software to make sure there is nothing leeching your RAM anyway.  It is also advisable to not have a very full hard disk drive, as Windows will try and use some of your hard disk when the RAM is fully used, and if there is not enough space to do that your computer will become very slow.

Really, the only way to avoid -all- lagging is to upgrade your RAM, another 256MB of RAM would be enough.  

MM2 added a lot of animation detail and water details are very stressful and resource hogging (You think MM2 is bad, see RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 with Soaked and add a pool in a large park :whistling ), so it is no wonder the lagging increased.

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 09:16:29 AM »

Most likely the reason your game is only detecting 224 is because your RAM is probably sharing with the video RAM in the system (meaning your graphics card is using 32 MB of RAM).

If you really are running Windows XP with 256 MB of RAM I'd definitely look into upgrading if possible.  I believe 256 MB is the minimum for running Windows XP alone, so it would definitely be rough on your system to use a graphics intensive game without any extra RAM to use.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:36:03 PM »
ok...thanks for all the suggestions....just one ?.....should i set the screensaver to none??? also...i press alt+ctrl+delete to make sure i don't have any other programs running and if i do...i close them...i also stopped the virus scan thing...it still lags incredibly...it didn't help :(...is HP a bad computer brand???

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »
If you only have 256MB of RAM, then really there is nothing you can do that will stop the lagging apart from to buy -more- RAM.  That is why your computer is slow.  Anything additional you do will only help -a bit- if at all.

As Peacenote said, Windows XP itself uses up a huge amount of resources anyway, and as 256MB is the absolute minimum it should be run on, I'd really consider upgrading.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »
so i should get more ram...upgrade computer and close other programs...got it. wut should i upgrade to? windows xp professional?
never mind the windows professional part!! (i am a blonde...i am veeeerrryyyy slow!!)

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »
Purchasing more RAM would probably be enough, and no, you don't need to upgrade the whole of your computer. ;)

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 12:01:16 PM »
ok...sumthing is really eating away at my computer...(i don't have internet on it)...so it couldn't be a virus...it freezes up really bad...wut do i do? :(

Offline koffee

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 01:31:34 PM »
First of all, get good anti-virus and other scanning software. Run them regularly and keep them updated! This doesn't matter how much RAM you have. Make sure the stuff that is installed and running on your computer is the stuff that should be installed.

I recommend free software (and if you look around, you will see many people and sites, including Google, that agree with me).

The Google-Pack includes Ad-Aware SE Personal. Lavasoft no longer distributes this on their own; they just sell the pro versions on their site. You can download just this without the rest of the pack.

The Google-Pack also includes Norton AntiVirus. I recommend you do not get this. Avast anti-virus software is free and just as good (if not better). You will have to register every year or so with a valid email address, but they are a trustworthy company, so this is safe. If you are paranoid, just create a disposable Yahoo email account or something.

Now, as far as RAM goes, yes - 256 is the bare minimum for running XP and maybe one instance of Notepad. :original: You really need to at least double that. There are many tips (probably in these forums) related to turning off other apps, lowering graphics details, and so on. Maybe if you use all these tips and turn the graphics down to the very minimum, you can get by with 256. But if that is the case, you might want to download some old-fashioned text adventures instead of playing MM2. :original:

So save up for some RAM just like you would save for the next ZT expansion. In fact, it is better than an expansion, since it is something that will impact everything you do on your computer.

p.s. The first computer viruses pre-date the Internet. Just because your computer is not connected to the net does not mean it is clean. I've read studies where someone "dropped" an infected (but harmless) thumb drive outside an office, and then tracked how quickly it spread in the office network (which was not on the net.)

Of course, if your computer is not on the net, this makes it a bit harder to install the software I recommened above. But you should be able to transfer it on a CDRW, thumb (USB) drive, etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 01:36:32 PM by koffee »

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
ok...thanks...well i am not allowed to changed the firewall and anti-virus on my computer because my parents want to use norton :(....i don't like it.. i will do a full system scan though later this afternoon....hopefully....thanks for the advice...oh yeah...so i should get at least twice as much ram? will it run 2x faster?