Author Topic: increase in lagging!!!  (Read 8802 times)

Offline koffee

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 03:27:39 PM »
You could mention Avast to them and let them decide. It is free, after all.

RAM doesn't work that way. Nothing does, really. If your CPU is now 2X the rating as before, it doesn't equate to an exact 2x speed-up. Also, if you have more RAM, you may be less likely to turn off background apps since you (think you) have RAM to spare.

Basically, if your computer runs out of RAM, it starts moving stuff from memory to the hard drive and back. Even the fastest modern drives are slower than the slowest modern RAM, so you will feel the impact. More RAM means more stuff in memory before this happens.

So, to simplify an example, if you had 256MB of RAM, and the program neeed 257MB, even a tiny increase in RAM would give an increase in performance. However, you only saved yourself from that 1MB of data swapping, and you might not even notice the performance boost.

If instead, the program needed 513MB, then doubling your RAM to 512MB still leaves a little bit that must get swapped in and out. Now, however, you have almost doubled what can get kept in memory, so that 1MB left over becomes trivial and you will probably feel a huge boost in performance. In fact, since you are measuring RAM vs. hard drive speed, you could even see well over 2x speed up!

There is no hard and fast rule for RAM vs. speed. Many factors are involved. About the only rule there is simply says: get the most RAM you can afford.

p.s. There is also fast RAM vs. normal RAM, etc. But if you are going to get into all that, and want the ultimate 3D gaming PC, you owe it to yourself to do the research yourself and start learning these terms.

p.p.s. Computer experts: yes, my examples are inaccurate, but I think they serve the explanation.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 02:00:37 PM »
thank u 4 your help...umm...how much would another 256 megabytes of RAM run for??

Offline animal artist

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 05:50:17 PM »
I had the same issues after installing MM and it continued after uninstalling it.
No viruses or spyware and I have avast.
Ended up having to replace the power supply thingy.
havnt tried reinstalling mm after that.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 01:00:31 PM »
what power supply thingy??

Offline animal artist

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
Its a unit in the computer that turns the machine on and off.

Offline alin90210

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 04:36:38 PM »
256MB of RAM cost from $35 to $60 according to http://www.pcclub.com.  Make sure you get the right type for your computer.

Just to add: The Power Supply converts electricity from the wall outlet into a form that the computer can use.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 05:09:47 PM »
ok..i can affor that..but i already have a 256 mg card...are there a few slots? like can i add a new 256 one and still keep the old 256 one in there? also...for the power supply thing...it changes electricity into ram? i dont get it...i just plug my desktop in and it runs...help?

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:13 PM »
The power supply doesn't convert the power per se, it reduces the voltage and portions it out to the various parts of the computer.  It functions sort of like the fuse box in your home.

Offline alin90210

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 10:04:53 PM »
You can probably keep your old RAM since computers these days usually have at least three RAM slots.  Most likely you have one 256MB stick or perhaps two 128MB sticks.  Either way there should be at least one slot still empty.  You can find out exactly what you have by opening up the case and look for the RAM slots.  Might want to ask your parents or someone who knows more about computers for help if you are not confident about it.  As an alternative, there are some programs out there that can give you information about your computer, including how many RAM slots and etc.  The one I know that does that is a free program called "PC Wizard".

Yeah, the power supply doesn't have anything to do with the RAM.  It just supplies power to the computer.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
ok....so if i get the power supply thing, it will help my computer run faster? also....can u install the ram yourself, or do u have 2 pay someone 2 do it?
I'm srry if i am annoying u w/ all these ?'s...but i am blonde...soo i am really slow..

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »
No the power supply thing has absolutely no effect on how fast your computer runs. Ram is extremely easy to install.

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 08:28:56 PM »
And you already have a power supply - without it the computer will not boot up.  Kind of like gas for the car - no gas/power supply = no start.

And it is possible to install your own RAM, but if you are not familiar with the inside of a computer, I would STRONGLY recommend having a computer technician do the installation for you.  Also, there are several types of RAM and some are not compatable with others. There is a cost to have the computer tech do the job but your computer will be much safer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 08:36:13 PM by tazlover »

Offline alin90210

• Pooper Scooper
increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2006, 12:58:16 PM »
I agree with both mikaboshi and tazlover.  RAM (like most computer hardware) is easy to install once you know how to do it.  It's that first time that can be daunting.  Once you see someone do it once, you'll be like "it's so easy, anyone can do it."  But for the first time, probably a good idea to get help.

And some RAM slots are such that you have to apply a lot of force to get the board in, so it may not be that easy.

Offline BottleNoseDolphin1

• Zookeeper
Re: increase in lagging!!!
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »

yah..i noticed that the plants starting moving as soon as i installed MM2!! :)

My new graphics card for some reason wont do the foliage animations!  :boohoo: :crash:

The foliage animations worked fine before i installed the graphics card  :loony: