Author Topic: Building Quirks  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
    • http://360.yahoo.com/bubbadbear
Building Quirks
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:13:56 PM »
Don't know if anyone can help me or not...

I have ZTCC and am currently running on Win 98 2nd Edition.

My question is this:

I downloaded the Zoo Admin building and added it to my game.  Whenever I buy the building, it creates a ghost image of the beginning status box and won't go away no matter what building I click on.  I have added an Adoption Center that works great, but the Zoo Admin Building won't.  Any suggestions?

Also, the Endangered Species Art Building causes my game to crash when I purchase it.

One other flaw with d/loaded buildings is that the preview of the IMAX does not rotate when using the rotate buttons.

Thanks for your help

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Building Quirks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 03:10:50 PM »
I created the ZA building and will check this out on one of my other systems that currenly only has 98 installed. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I have XP but that shouldn't make a difference as I also have CC. As mentioned I will let you know what happens on my other system.

As for the other buildings I'm not sure there either but will also check into the Imax and see what happens.

Offline genkicoll

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Dragon Rider
Building Quirks
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
Making icons can be very time consuming, so some designers make a single icon and use it for all 4 views.  Perhaps that is the case with the Imax?

Offline fern

• Zookeeper
Building Quirks
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »
I have Windows 98 and both work in my game without causing the problems you mention.

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Building Quirks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »
Concerning the Imax Theater, it is correct that the same graphic was used for all 4 icon views. Actually, APE makes it easy to create icons out of the building graphics. But sometimes creators do not know that and sometimes they just like a consistent view.

Concerning the Zoo Admin building, which I assume is the ZA Administration Building, maybe it is a corrupted memory problem or maybe it is a graphics driver problem. You might want to try the building again to see if the same problem occurs. Also, you might want to check the web site of the company that made your graphics adapter to see if they have a newer version of the graphics driver. Or it could be related to the next problem.

Concerning the Endangered Species Art Building, that is baffling. It works in my game as well and I have a very unusual setup where crashes usually show up for me before they do for anyone else. I also looked at its configuration and, although there are some inconsistencies, nothing that should cause a crash. The timing of the crash is also unusual. Crashes that occur when something is purchased are usually very obvious and very consistent.  Like the previous building, you might want to try the building again to see if it continues to crash at the same place. A newer graphics driver might also correct the problem. If you have run patch programs that come with some older buildings or if you have any user created ".dll" files in the Zoo Tycoon folder that are larger than 1.8 mb, then these can cause sporadic crashes, but not usually when purchasing something. If your computer has little physical memory and little virtual memory, and if you have a lot of user downloads installed, that can also cause crashes.

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:20:10 AM »
I was thinking maybe a corrupted download file was causing the problem.  I will try downloading it again and see if that will work.

The computer that I am running ZTCC on is not connected to the internet so I have to transfer files using floppies and/or a usb drive.  Win 98 is notorious for not recognizing usb drives without the proper drivers so that could be a problem there, although I have installed the right software for the usb drive.

I don't have a separate graphics card but I have plenty of physical and virtual memory.

I have to admit that I'm running on a Pentium MMX system that I can't get to clock faster than 199 Mhz.  :blushing:

Offline LadyZookeeperNY

• Queen of the Checkerboard Paths!
  • Administrator
  • Game Warden
    • http://hometown.aol.com/ladyslopokes
Building Quirks
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 06:31:49 AM »
I know in the past when I've had user made buildings causing games crashes it was due to the .dll file conflicting with something else in my game. To this date I still can't use the Caricature Stand in my game, and I have a relatively new system with XP on it now. I'd make sure that you have the correct .dll file for the ZA Admin Building-I think it's the combined .dll called LangZA03. Yellowrose can verify that for ya I'm sure. Hope this helps! :blink:

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:36:22 AM »
My apologies for my inexperience, but my step-daughter just recently introduced me to this game and I have just fallen head over heals in love with it.

I have always loved gaming on computers and this one combined with my love of nature and has been so enjoyable.  Looks like I've got a lot to learn although I did figure out by trial and error how to get the sea otters to perform in a show...... LoL.  (I almost gave up on the game but after several false starts and twice running the zoo out of money completely, even with emergency donations..... hehehe)

At any rate, thanks for your time and patience.  .oO(Am I really going to want to get A.P.E. and learn how to frustrate myself more?)

Offline LadyZookeeperNY

• Administrator
  • Game Warden
Building Quirks
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:58:10 AM »
Welcome to Our World Zoomeister!! We've all been where you are now, and we've never looked back. I myself have never been able to master the A.P.E. program; however I do have the Zoo Admin Map Editor program and I love to make new maps or just remodel some of the ingame maps. We have a wonderful Download Support Forum for ZT 1 located here. There are lots of great hints, directions and answers to some nagging questions that you might find helpful. Not to mention a great forum of Admins, Mods, designers and very friendly members who will be happy to help and encourage you!! We hope you will enjoy your time here and will share some of your zoo pics in our ZT 1 Show and Tell forum too!! Have a great day and Keep Building!! :wub:

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 07:16:52 AM »
Thank you, Lady Z.  You too, Yellowrose.  I appreciate all who have answered me.  I will let you know what happens after I reload the buildings.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Building Quirks
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:09:01 AM »
LadyZ is right you will need the combined langZA03 for the admin bldg to work properly with messesges etc.

If the problems persist may I suggest you install ZT to the computer you are using now for net access and try the buildings again.

If you have a cd burner during a regular backup of other files you may be backing up backup the downloads onto CD and then use the cd to transfer the files to the 98 system. That may help if the transfer with usb is corrupting the files or 98 not properly recognizing the usb drive.

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 09:32:08 AM »
Can't install on the 'net computer, Yellowrose.  It's at work and my play one is at home...... sorry.  :laughing: I am lucky to be able to d/load stuff and carry it home.  (can't wait to try out the Virginia Roller Coaster though....  : :) : )

One of these days I might get to get online at home.....  :ermm:

One quick question, what is all that stuff in ya'lls signatures?

mods and admins have signature banners and so do contest winners.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:34:49 AM by RedNotDead »

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
Quote from: Zoomeister

mods and admins have signature banners and so do contest winners.

I was more like wondering what were Cabana Girls and Design Team were.... I caught the part about the banners being for mods and admins (although I think that it's neat that contest winners get them also)  :specool:

:IloveZA: <---- blatant plug.... LoL.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Building Quirks
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »
The sayings you see in member signatures are just things we like others to see and the sig banners I made for our very quirky staff and our great contest winners. It's more for appreciation then anything else but they're fun and add a little intrest.

You can add anything family site appropriate into your own signature area by going into the User CP at the top right of any page and click on edit signature. Just be sure the 6 line including spaces between lines rule is followed and the content is acceptable reading for our young members and go nuts and have fun.

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »
Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »
I appreciate the help, Yellowrose.

Signature's that are fun and quirky, huh?  : :) :

Offline LadyZookeeperNY

• Administrator
  • Game Warden
Building Quirks
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
By George I think he's got it! :specool:

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Building Quirks
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »
Hey I like that one kinda catchy...:specool:

But I think we have gone offtopic on this....oops we are the bad ones today....lol

Yes I know warnings for the 3 of us for going off topic.

Ok next post is back to buildings we can't be setting a bad example for everyone else.

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Building Quirks
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 08:40:05 PM »
Quote from: Zoomeister
I was thinking maybe a corrupted download file was causing the problem.  I will try downloading it again and see if that will work.

The computer that I am running ZTCC on is not connected to the internet so I have to transfer files using floppies and/or a usb drive.  Win 98 is notorious for not recognizing usb drives without the proper drivers so that could be a problem there, although I have installed the right software for the usb drive.

Floppies and USB drives can indeed cause file corruption. Often, the alignment of the drives are not quite right. Hopefully, you are transferring the ".zip" files as downloaded and not extracting the files out of the ".zip" before transferring. Then you would know if the files are corrupted when you try to extract them, rather than when trying to use them in Zoo Tycoon. I always use the "test" capability in my unzipping software to see if a file is corrupted before I try to extract it.

I don't have a separate graphics card

Even onboard graphics have graphics drivers that sometimes need to be updated.

Good luck with your retesting.

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Building Quirks
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 08:59:01 AM »
Jay,

I might have to update drivers for the video, although as I said before I don't have access to the net at home.

Yes, I transfer as .zip files before unzipping on my computer at home.

Both the .ztd file and the .dll file were already on there as it asked me if I wanted to replace them when I dragged and dropped the unzipped files into the appropriate folders.  Same files with the same dates.

Didn't have a chance to see if it worked as I didn't have time to play a game.  I will check maybe tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks all for your time and patience.  :happy:

Offline Zoomeister

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Whoooooo, me?
Success!!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 06:13:51 AM »
Igor, we have Life!!!!  LoL.  : :) :

After recopying the downloaded files, the buildings worked correctly last evening!!  I have both the Endangered Species Art Building and the Zoo Administration Building in one zoo and they are working fine.  ( I think that it was a corrupted .dll file that was causing the ghost image but I could be wrong.)

Thanks to all for your encouragement, support and advice.

As an aside, I think that I'm going to have fun with the signatures, I've been thinking about some cool ones to use...... hehehe.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Building Quirks
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »
I noticed your new addition....lol....cute ... I know I don't have to do this but just a reminder to visit the forum rules section so you are familiar with the sig rules. To answer your other questions about sigs

Cabana Girlz and Cabana Boyz comes from a special adult area of the forum for the adult members and you get there by invitation only.

Design Team - ZA has a team of staff designers and some DT members advertise that in their sigs.

We have the Community Zoo Building and the site clubs which you will also see in some signatures. Visiting the general club area of the forums will give you more information on these.

Now that this has been answered along with your original question I will now close this topic as your orignal difficulty has been resloved.

If you encounter any further difficulties just start another topic and we'll be glad to help.

YR
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 06:34:34 AM by Yellowrose »