Author Topic: FAQ's  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
FAQ's
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »
Howdy everyone!  Hope you're doing well.  Figured I'd start this and let you, our wonderful members, help us create our FAQ's.  What I'm going to be doing is compiling some of THE most frequently asked questions that I see as an admin.  The first two are similar, and I hear them almost every day.  So I'll combine them.  I've also got the second item to list, so we'll get this one up here as well.  If you have things you think need to be in our FAQ, make a post here.  What I'll do is get an appropriate answer, and then delete your post once I update it into the FAQ.  Thanks everyone!

FAQ's:

1) How do I install user-created downloads into my ZT1/ZT2 games?
The best place to start is in the individual download support forums.  Both forums have detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to install user-created content.  If you still can't get the items to work, you can make a post in that same forum asking for help.  The tutorials are pinned at the top of each section.  Click on the below links to find the instructions.

Zoo Tycoon 1
Zoo Tycoon 2

2) What do I do if I have registration problems or if I have an issue with the site in general?

Any registration problems can be addressed to me.  My email is texgnome1@ogresnet.com.  Please know that our registration process is set to keep the spambots out.  I know it can be a bit of a pain, but we DO NOT want them here.  :nospam:  When you complete your registration, an email is sent to the email you used to register.  This email contains a validation link.  If you do not click on the validation link, you cannot post.  You cannot join in our fun.  This makes the gnome sad.  If you do not click on the link within 48 hours, you will have to register again!

3) WHY is the ZA staff so strict?  And why are there so many rules?  Other forums are much more lenient?

I honestly wish I had a quarter for every time I've heard this one.  I could retire already.  This is a family friendly forum.  Yes, we like to kid and joke and have fun.  BUT because Zoo Tycoon is targetted towards younger teens, we have to be a bit more strict on the rules.  They really are there for your protection.  We banned you or your friend?  I can guarantee that it was warranted.  We have a pretty lenient discipline policy.  If you get to that point, you've been given several chances.

Let's face it, we have lots of younger members here.  We want you here.  But when you register for our forums, you agree to abide by our rules.  That's what "I Accept" means.  If you have a question about whether you should or should not do something, ask any one of the staff.  We'll be glad to help you.

Offline Ixion

• Zookeeper
  • doughnuts: heart didease in a ring
FAQ's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »
if you are banned, is there any way that you can "be brought back form the dead"?

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
  • E Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
FAQ's
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:18:49 PM »
You can be suspended, which is a temporary ban. However, if you are banned, then that is permanent, unless it can be shown that it was done in error.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 07:21:09 PM by Penguino »

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
FAQ's
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:54:59 PM »
If  an error happens , they are quick to correct the error and our vere gracious about it . For that we all should thank all our Admin's for the fine jobthey do  and keeping this site safekids of all ages.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
FAQ's
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:17:24 AM »
What about the Private Message system? I know the rules but I don't know how to use it furthur than sending, receiving, replying to, and deleting messages. I just want to know what happens if you delete an unread message from your "sent" file. Is it deleted from the recipient's inbox?

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
FAQ's
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 07:04:56 AM »
I don't beleive so Zoo Titan. Once the message is 'delivered' it is in their box. The sent file is so that you have a copy of messages that you have sent.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
FAQ's
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 04:58:38 AM »
Ok good, cause now I can empty that sent items box. :) Thanks!

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
FAQ's
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 05:09:10 AM »
How about "how do I post pictures" "how do I take a screenshot" "how do I make the text into a link"

Just a few suggestions of course :thumbsup:

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
Re: FAQ's
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:27:25 PM »
okay, i was wondering about the rule that lists can be no longer than 10. Does this apply in current project threads as well?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »

okay, i was wondering about the rule that lists can be no longer than 10. Does this apply in current project threads as well?

No, it no longer applies, but we DO ask you not keep posting the same thing over and over and over. Thanks.  :csl:

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
okay, thanks csl

Offline orangemonkey22

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
but does it still apply in the Wishlist threads? Sorry, I couldn't quite understand what you guys were saying.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »
We really don't mind the lists at all. What we would like is that everyone take into consideration the fact that the admins and mods read every post that is put on these forums to be sure they are safe and appropriate for all of our members and our guests.

If an admin or mod has to read a real long list then they may be tied up to long with that post and may miss something totally unacceptable on this forum.

We try to make sure all the content on this site is safe for people of all ages but we do occasionally get something we find unacceptable and with having the lists kept short to 10 items in a list the mods and admins have been able to get the unacceptable content off the forum so parents of our younger members don't deny them use of the board because of someone who doesn't care like we do about what our members and guests see.

I hope this explains it a little better for you.

It's not that we don't want to know what your wishlists are we just want to be sure this is the safe family friendly place you all have come to enjoy visiting and being a part of.

Offline orangemonkey22

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
ok, thanks, I understood the reason for the rule, I was just wondering if it still applied.

Offline yinyangwolf

• Zookeeper
  • Why do I have the sudden urge to drive a DeLorian?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:44:39 PM »
Obviously swearing is NOT allowed,but what if we used various characters to substitute for swear words? Or like @#$%! to represent any random bad word? Oh, and my "local time" thingamawhatsit is off. It's 3 hours slow! How can I fix it?

Penguino: Edited for content. For questions that involve acceptability it's best to ask them through PM.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:59:01 PM by Penguino »

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »
You may not use lookalike characters for swear words; that's censor bypassing. The word must be completely obscured. For safety I recommend you do not use four asterisks though, as that's what the forum changes real swear words to.

To adjust the time, go to Profile, and Look and Layout Preferences. Enter the offset from the forum server time (GMT-8), or click auto detect. Then click Change Profile.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 05:52:27 PM by Penguino »

Offline yinyangwolf

• Zookeeper
  • Why do I have the sudden urge to drive a DeLorian?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:24:03 PM »
OK, so is the whole random @#$% alright, since it dosen't look like anything?

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »
I guess so.

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »
why has zoo admin been down a lot latly?

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
Because of issues regarding traffic - it should stop happening once we get a new host.

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 09:55:56 PM »
so it's basicly becuase the host isen't very good?

Offline Penguino

• Game Warden
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »
Yeah... :laugh2:

Offline disneypanda127

• COPPA - awaiting parental approval
  • Pooper Scooper
  • I LOVE POTC!!!!!!
Help! I'm Lost!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
:shelp: I can't find out where the hacks page is! I was skimming thorugh a forum and I saw someone say something about a hacks page. Is there a such thing?  :squest: If there is, then how do I get to it? Please reply!  :ty1:

disneypanda127  :hmmm: :bear3:

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
Hi disneypanda, Once they are up again, you will find a section in the downloads area where the hacks are as well.

Offline ktesch

• Zookeeper
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »

My Calendar here and at the ZTCDD are both of a day. They both say Tue. the 28th. How do I fix this or is it something only the Admins or Mods can do?

Thank you.

Kim