Author Topic: Selling Animals  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« on: July 01, 2006, 03:00:08 PM »
Some of the coding from the animal's pages was identified as PHP code when put in quotes. This apparently makes the page mess up, so I had to change two of the codes to BOLD instead of QUOTED.

Anyways, I've been playing ZT2 for about a year and a quarter now, and one of the things I noticed was that when you put animals up for adoption, you do not get any money in return. In ZT, you get a 'refund', or at least a donation, but you don't get anything at all in ZT2.

I'm a major game file editor, almost every file is updated/edited for more realism. I do things like up the price for some buildings, lower the prices for others, and update the ammounts of babies animals have. So, with my WinRAR and game-file savvy, I thought, why not try and make it so that you can sell your animals?

I searched around, and this is what I found:

In the entities file, you can change prices of objects and animals. However, the objects have an extra line of code at the bottom of the page which is the refund for recycling. All you have to do is copy that line and add it in in the same space, but on the animal's page. Which will make more sence in about five seconds when I go into detail.

Go to entities > objects > rocks (Actually, it can be anything in the objects folder) > ai.

Then choose any of the rock files. Near the bottom, you will notice this (I chose the small wetland rock):

Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with game file editing, I'll explain what this means.

This says that the rock costs $10 when you buy it.

This says that when you buy a rock, the money spent on it is recorded under the Construction list (When you view your zoo finances, the list will be things like Construction, Recycling, Animal Adoption, Upkeep, ect.).

This is the important one. It says that when you 'destroy', or sell and object, you will get money back. You see that little part that says 'type="credit"? That makes it so that when you sell the rock, you get 80% of the money back, or $8 (The 'cost="80"' basically says what percent of the buying cost will be refunded).

So what I did was simply copy the recycling line, and add it to an animal file. I used the Zebra to start out with, but here I'm updating the Bengal Tiger (no idea if this is the downloaded animal, or if it's the Siberian tiger I downloaded.)

So now that you have the recycling line copied, you go back to the main entities file. Go to units > animals > ai.

Now, for each animal there will be several files. You want the MAIN file. So for the Bengal Tiger, there will be these files for it:

TigerBengal_Young_M.xml
TigerBengal_Young_F.xml
TigerBengal_Young.xml
TigerBengal_Adult_M.xml
TigerBengal_Adult_F.xml
TigerBengal_Adult.xml
TigerBengal.xml

You want the regular TigerBengal.xml file. At the very bottom of this file, there will be the cost code:

It looks much like the one for the rock, with only the recycle line missing. So all we do now is paste in that line, right under the ZTTransaction name="build" line, like this:

category="recycling"/>

When you save it and start your game, you can now 'sell' your tiger for 80% of what it costs. You can also change that number to anything ABOVE 0 and BELOW 101, so anything from 1-100.

For example, I want to change that number to 100, so I will buy my tiger for $15,000 and sell him for $15,000 (yeah, I didn't want to do the math for 80).

How to sell? Just put him up for adoption, like in ZT1. You will get your money automaticly. It will be listed under 'Recycle' in your finances, since there isn't an 'Animal Sales' line and I don't want to spend the time to make one, if possible.

I have updated most of my animals this way, which is a great offset because in my realism spree a lot of buildings have ended up costing much more.

[COLOR="Red]One note: Releasing your animal to the wild will not give you any money. No getting fame and cash at the same time, apparently ;)[/COLOR]

So... this was really long, but I hope I helped some people out who might have been wondering about this, or wanted to change it.

Also, using those lines of code, you can update the animal's price, as well as the price/refund of other objects. And if anyone has made it to the end, I have no idea why some of the quotes above changed to PHP code, exept for that they were probably identified that way.

PLEASE NOTE: THESE GUIDES INVOLVE EDITIING YOUR GAME FILES.  IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP THE ORIGINAL GAME FILES. WE ARE NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS YOU MAY ENOUCONTER FROM FOLLOWING THESE GUIDES.  RND - FORUMS ADMIN

There was an issue with the forums identifing parts of the code as PHP, which messed up the page, so Rednotdead removed it. The coding that was identified as PHP is now in bold.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:45:16 AM by RedNotDead »

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
[saved post for if I want to update in the future]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:14:58 PM by Methane »

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Selling Animals
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:21:06 PM »
Thanks for posting this!! I will, however, move it into the editing section :happy:

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »
Yeh. Ignore this post. It was an update of an update which was fixed because the edit button started working. If an admin happens to be able to delete this, please do.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 06:02:28 PM by Methane »

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Selling Animals
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »
Cool! Thanks for sharing, I may have to do this :P

Also, just a moderator note, it is not double posting if there is a post between the posts. However, you can use the edit button to change a post rather than double post. :happy:

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 06:00:20 PM »
'Kay, thanks ^.^

I've been hanging around Zoo Admin for a couple months now, but I haven't posted much. It's a fantastic site, it's really improved my design and whatnot.

The edit button doesn't work for me, I have no idea why... it makes me sad. And glad I could help, I really love your work with penguins. I've downloaded all three penguin packs. I'm such a geek.

Offline benjiboy180

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »
Wow i was acually just wondering about this very tlhing today! I am kinda a computer nut so i will have no problem working with this. Its acually quite simple! Job well done, Methane! I congradulate you on some good work!

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Selling Animals
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 09:26:11 AM »
Thanks so much :) This is the first guide I wrote, and I had no idea how to do it. You make me feel all fuzzy inside.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Selling Animals
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 10:33:06 AM »
ive actually done the hack to sell all the animals for zt2, ES and AA and once MM2 is released will update the hacks to include the marine animals and the fixes for the other animals.