Author Topic: Changing the Amount of Space an Animal Needs  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
Changing the Amount of Space an Animal Needs
« on: July 02, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »
A short disclaimer:

You should always create backup files of ANY game file before you edit it.
If you somehow mess up, it's not my fault. The directions here are acurate and valid.
I DO NOT have any expansion packs for ZT2. These directions were written for and from the origional ZT2, and things may have been changed around for expansions.
I am not advocating cheating on the game. This is merely a guide, and what you do with it is your own decison.
You need an archiver like WinRAR to edit your game files.
I use Windows XP. Some information/quick keys may be different for other systems.

This is the last one for a while.

This guide will tell you how to change the amount of space an animal needs. Before we start, there are two different kinds of space, and space isn't measured by squares, which I need to explain.

First, space is measured by triangles (four triangles take up one square. One block of path takes up one square). So if I say the required space is 100, I don't mean 100 squares, I mean 100 triangles. Just divide a number by 4 to see how many squares you need. 100 triangles = 25 squares.

Second, the initial space is how much space you need for one animal. For example, the Chimpanzee needs 200 triangles (50 squares) if you just have one animal. But that would mean each time you adopt a new animal, you would have to add on 50 more squares of space, and that wouldn't be cool. So there is additional space. For the Chimp, it's 12 triangles (or 3 squares). Therefore, for 1 Chimp you need 200 triangles of space, but for 2 you need 212, and for 3 you need 224. If you don't get it, ask someone to explain it to you. I've done the best I can.

So let's start. Go to your entities file. Because I have typed ou the same directions five times in the last forty minutes, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is, you get the shortened version. If you need help, see my first three guides.

My Computer > Local Disk > Program Files > Microsoft Games > Zoo Tycoon 2 > entities.z2f > units > animals > ai

As always, you want the MAIN animal file. In this AI file, there are 7 or 8 animal files. You want the one that has the main name of the animal with nothing after it. The Chimpanzee is Chimpanzee.xml, not Chimpanzee_Young_M.xml, or anything else.

So, open up whatever animal you want to change the space for.

There will be a large, scary block of text. Luckly for you, what you want to change is right in the middle!

Ctrl + F for this bit of code, or search for it by eye:

f_RequiredInitialSpace

After that will be the additional space, like so (Copied from the Chimp file):

f_RequiredInitialSpace=200" f_RequiredAdditionalSpace="12"

So lets say you want very tolerable monkeys. You could change the amount to,

f_RequiredInitialSpace="20" f_RequiredAdditionalSpace="1", if you want.

Or update it to something more realistic, or whatever. This is a guide, not a morality session. If you want to return the space requirements to the origional, you can use this wonderful article to help you out:

http://zoo.ogresnet.com/articles/link.php?id=140

PM me with any questions and I'll do the best I can to help you out.

PLEASE NOTE: THESE GUIDES INVOLVE EDITIING YOUR GAME FILES.  IF YOU DECIDE TO DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP THE ORIGINAL GAME FILES. WE ARE NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS YOU MAY ENOUCONTER FROM FOLLOWING THESE GUIDES.  RND - FORUMS ADMIN
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:50:52 AM by RedNotDead »

Offline Cutie_Okapi3

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:21:51 AM »
does anyone know how to edit the ES and AA animals, I tryed useing the game files, but it didn't work.:crying:

Offline Methane

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »
Hey, I may  be able to help ^-^

The ES and AA files are located in different places then in the origonal game, but Penguinman found out where they were:

If you have ONLY ES:
x100_000.z2f for ANY animal including original ZT2 animals

If you have AA and ES or just AA:
x110_000.z2f for AA animals
x100_000.z2f for ES animals
x101_000.z2f for Original animals

I believe the AI file and other locations are the same.

So, I believe you should try putting \x110_000.z2f after Zoo Tycoon 2, or something like that. I'm sorry I can't help more then this, as I've said I only have the orgional game :(

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:34:41 AM »
there is a hack for this made by me for the animal space and also to sell your animals.  This hack works for all the EP's and will be udapted once mm2 is released