Author Topic: Es Graphical Problem  (Read 1354 times)

Offline jafrica

• Pooper Scooper
Es Graphical Problem
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:41:29 PM »
I have the expansion pack installed and now I too am having all sorts of wierd graphical problems.  Problems that I did not have with ZT2 prior to installing the expansion pack.  Problems like black patches within animal enclosures that should be sand/dirt/grass, guests walking around without heads, trees without leaves plus many others that are kind of hard to describe in words.  I have the game set to use the medium graphical effects.  I see that there have been a couple of other posts regarding graphical problems here but the amazing thing to me was the number of posts from people who have been able to play the game seemingly without the same issues I was running in to!  So I checked my system settings and am hard pressed to figure out where the problem might be.  I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions about what else to try.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

My system specs are: XP Home Edition w/SP2, Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz, 1022MB RAM, Direct X 9.0, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X video card (64.0MB Memory).

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.doublehelixstudios.com
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 07:58:44 PM »
Originally posted by jafrica@Oct 25 2005, 10:41 PM

My system specs are: XP Home Edition w/SP2, Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz, 1022MB RAM, Direct X 9.0, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/AGP8X video card (64.0MB Memory).
Well your sytem seems to be more than adequate, however I notice you have the same graphics card I do..the NVIDIA GeForece 4blahblah.

I'm still wondering if it's an issue with just this particular card as it's a typical "standard" card for "Regular" desktops that aren't specifically built/designed for something. That is, your "off the shelf" computer seems to have this card alot.

For example. zoohio doesn't have any problems, but he has a well built system, with a graphics unit designed for gaming. See what I mean?

Other than that, I got nothing to suggest.

Aside from "strangeness", how does it play? that is, how fast does it run? that was my main issue...  and have you updated your drivers? That may help, as I had to update mine.

Offline zoohio

• Speedy--Master of Water Effects!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 04:48:03 AM »
Originally posted by jafrica@Oct 25 2005, 10:41 PM
Problems like black patches within animal enclosures that should be sand/dirt/grass, guests walking around without heads, trees without leaves plus many others that are kind of hard to describe in words.

Jafrica, sounds like you got the Halloween version of the game. I was looking for that! LOL
Just kidding.
Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Also, looking at your specs, you have  2.4 GHz processor. That is low for the GeForce video card. Also, you mention 1022MB of RAM. My system is running on 1 GB DDR SDRAM. I have a Pentium 4 processor with 2.8MHz and that is kinda low for 1GB. The power needed to run this extreme. I only have 350 watts of power supply. The system needs the power, the processors and the Memory to all run at one time, and if it is too much, it will not read the memory card.
The new pc's are running on Pentium 4 processor at 3.0MHz. The power supply is 450-600 watts of power!!!! 600 is almost double of what I have.
In a nutshell: Power supply and processor are more important than the video card.

Offline BFScottMacmillan

• Blue Fang Community Representative
  • Zoo Admin V.I.P
  • Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:15:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have been in contact with our engineering department, and for that series of cards you will want to update to the latest video drivers available from Nvidia at http://www.Nvidia.com.  Our bug database shows that this should fix most of the issues you're experiencing.

As a note, if you haven't ever upgraded your video drivers before, be careful doing so!  There should be instructions available via Nvidia's website; definitely follow those.  :)  It's also helpful to get someone to help you who has done it before, if you have one of those people available.

Hope this helps,

Scott Macmillan
Associate Producer @ Blue Fang

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:33:45 PM »
Thank you for posting that. I'll check out that website, the demo runs perfectly for me though. Except the water.

Offline ktesch

• Zookeeper
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 01:34:28 PM »
I have problems with the Tutorials of Zoo Tycoon 2. The Messages at the top don't come up very good, they get stuck when trying to scroll to read them, and the color changes from Normal to Red or it just gets dark, I also had this problem with the demo yesterday while trying to make exhibits. I couldn't figure out where to put them, so I deleted the game, other than that, I didn't have any problems with downloading the demo.

KTesch

Offline Honor

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.doublehelixstudios.com
Es Graphical Problem
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by zoohio@Oct 26 2005, 07:48 AM

Also, looking at your specs, you have  2.4 GHz processor. That is low for the GeForce video card. Also, you mention 1022MB of RAM. My system is running on 1 GB DDR SDRAM. I have a Pentium 4 processor with 2.8MHz and that is kinda low for 1GB. The power needed to run this extreme. I only have 350 watts of power supply. The system needs the power, the processors and the Memory to all run at one time, and if it is too much, it will not read the memory card.
The new pc's are running on Pentium 4 processor at 3.0MHz. The power supply is 450-600 watts of power!!!! 600 is almost double of what I have.
In a nutshell: Power supply and processor are more important than the video card.
haha, you make me sound like an idiot.  :blush  :P

Seriously, I thought 2.4GHz would be adequate.

And this is what i don't understand, BEFORE the XP, my game ran fine and I'm running a 2.08GHz processor. Hahah. I do have  1Gig of RAM though.

And isn't 1022MB RAM equal to over 1 GIG?  1000 MB = 1 Gig. No?