Author Topic: Tip For Laptop Users Frustrated By Slowness  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Wildlife Enthusiast

• Zookeeper
Tip For Laptop Users Frustrated By Slowness
« on: September 21, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »
FOR THOSE WITH LAPTOPS:  I got a helpful tip from a Dell Tech Support rep last night, when I was asking why the game only detects a fraction of my processor speed at times (sometimes 298MHz, 600MHz...it really varied).  Anyway, he told me to check my power scheme setting under Display --> Screen Saver --> Power.  Under Power Scheme, there is a drop-down menu of choices....  Mine was on Portable/Laptop, and the guy said that with this setting the computer's main priority is power conservation (even when its AC adapter is plugged in), so it steps down its processor, which means you are not using all of it, and sometimes very little!  He told me to select "Always On" while I am playing and set the hard disk to be turned off after 30 minutes ( I assume you can use other values, I ended up changing mine to 1 hour).  He said to just be sure not to leave the computer on with this setting for long periods (like when not using it), because it is more taxing on the system, and the system may heat up faster.  It did help me, so I hope it helps someone else!  I also have used the tips by Tormoni, and was going to post this under that topic, but I don't know if it would apply to desktops, as I don't know what the setting choices are, so I decided to just make a topic for slow laptops.  Happy Tycooning!! ;)

Offline Tigeress_10

• ZA's craziest tigeress
  • Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 09:25:43 AM »
Good tips! I didn't even know you could play a high-graphic game like ZT2 on a lapbtop....

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:43:39 PM »
Oh, sure you can!  I play on an IBM  *(@#*&$( excuse me LENOVO R52!   :D

And that's a good tip, Wildlife Enthusiast.  I just actually went through that recently with my laptop.  Except IBM has their own power manager, and I had to set it to "Maximum Performance."  It helped a lot.