Author Topic: Zoo Keeper Cant Reach "dada"  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Willicent

• Pooper Scooper
Zoo Keeper Cant Reach "dada"
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
Greeings,

I am new to Zoo Tycoon (MAC)...three days and counting.  I am doing okay but for a couple annoying traits.  One,  is that certain animals are always getting out of the exhibit.  The Camels and Alligators.  I did not start using recesed exhibits until later and that may just be the case but I do have full height proper fencing.  

Now the most annoying aspect of manageing the Zoo is that I am CONSTANTLY being barraged by "Zoo Keeper Cant Reach Poop" or "Zoo Keeper Cant Reach Animal" or "Zoo Kepper cant reach Water Bowl" and all of these are in plain site and clearly accessible to the zoo keeper.  I have at least one zoo keeper assigned to each exhibit.  I finally am able to pick up the zoo keeper and move him or her to the location of the item and they take care of it.  Does anyone experience this type of behavior and what have you been able to do to remedy the occurance of these seemingly unnessecary indicators.

Thanks!

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 11:10:27 AM »
The best thing to do is to build your exhibits without any gates - locking them in stops them from wandering too far away and then moaning they can't get at it

I still get the message occasionally, it's usually because I've forgotten to assign them to an island in the exhibit as well, or the other half if it's divided by a river.

The other possibility is that one of your zookeepers is unassigned, and so every time a new job needs doing it may complain if they're at the other end of the zoo (even if another keeper's closer and assigned to the exhibit)

Offline Willicent

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 05:15:31 PM »
I really appreciate the comments.  What is the function of the staff center? Do they ever need supplies from the staff center that will be problematic if I trap a zoo keeper into an exhibit?

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 05:22:17 PM »
The main reason that a staff center is used is because 1. it can hold a lot, and 2. They don't use up the benches that the guests use.

Locking keepers in exhibits is a wonderful way to solve the problem, as long as you put a bench for them to sit on in the exhibit as well.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:29:43 PM »
:lol hah. I don't even do THAT. I just stick 'em in there, and make 'em work! I figure they're not actual people, so what difference does it make! :hehe And ever notice how they just 'pull' brooms out of the air? And buckets, too! So, I don't think they really need a staff center if you keep 'em busy enough :very funny

Kookaburra999

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »
Originally posted by csleesburg@Apr 25 2006, 06:29 PM
:lol hah. I don't even do THAT. I just stick 'em in there, and make 'em work! I figure they're not actual people, so what difference does it make!
I have to say, thats quite wise. Occasionally, one of the guests will try to get inside the exhibit so they can sit on the bench, and when they do manage to get inside, the guest gets attacked! (It's happened to me before.)

Oh, and Willicent, we all have that problem with zookeepers (am I right, people?). When that happens, its always a good idea to sort the problem yourself in guest mode.

Offline cjbear

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »
Kookaburra999,
That's what I do!
Are you reading my mind :blink ?

Offline tadfoal

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 03:46:53 AM »
I once played for an hour before i realised I was the only thing cleaning the entire zoo. And I was doing a better job than a plague of zookepers could have done.

Strategy: Once or twice a month, go into zoo guest mode, and methodically run around your entire zoo, picking up rubbish and feeding animals. A way to help with that is to put gates between exhibits, so that your zookeepers just wander through exhibits... if they can reach them (insert nastiness towards ZT2 zookeepers)

koala king

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 07:05:09 AM »
I have a mac too, and I find it easier to just go around in guest mode, because the more zookeepers you put, the more messages you will get.

Offline Grey Wolf

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://myspace.com/omg_its_a_carebear
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
Argh.  I've got that problem too... every 5 seconds... Zoo Keeper can't reach such and such.  It's SOOO annoying

koala king

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 08:06:40 AM »
I think I'm going to update my zoo of the desert, I know how to fix that problem, which it has.

Offline zoo_tycoon2

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »
in most of my exhibits in my new zoo, i have cliffs around them, inside the fencing, i DID have gates, but the keepers couldnt climb up the cliff to get out, so then i just got rid of all the gates, except the ones that are on ground level (not below)

I have 2 keepers in each "sunken" exhibit and 1 for every "level" exhibit..

as i went into zoo guest mode, i realized i couldnt work if there isnt any gates, so i put them back in :)

Offline 00tiger0

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 04:59:34 PM »
Just keep trees, bushes, shelters, and other items the keeper cant walk through away from walls. Then you wont have a problem =]

Offline snonsew

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 05:47:53 AM »
Another time you will have this problem is if an animal is standing on it. (Or with a maintenance worker can't reach a trash can because a guest is throwing something away) Just ignore the message - or take care of it yourself. It will eventually solve itself.

Also, as to taking care of things yourself and gates - you don't need a gate - you can enter any exhibit directly. To change exhibits, just return to overhead - move slightly - and go back into guest mode. I find it easier to do that than to try to find the gates - or get through them.

Sonja

Offline panda11

• Marine Biologist
    • http://www.frontiernet.net/~TrentonV/
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:35:32 AM »
What I found Is that, when I don't put gates and lock zookeepers in the exhibits, they don't work anymore. They actually need benches to rest and staf centers improve them. I even found a file on improving in the games files.

Offline snonsew

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »
Strangely enough, my zookeeps seem to rest on benches even when there is none available. When I look to see what they are doing, they are "resting on bench" . . . . I guess it is all in the mind. ;)

Sonja

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 09:14:33 AM »
I just put staff in near the staff centers, I put those in strtegic places dense with animals. I also put benches in the fenced-off staff areas, for choice, they see to go for the benches...I also keep to a set limit, I alway keep a 3-2-1 keeper-matnance-tour ratio.

This is NOT a bad thing. I just have to see if I can edit the posts. Just ignor this, please.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 10:26:31 AM by csleesburg »

Offline scruffy

• Zookeeper
  • Youngest VideoGame Tester---13.5 Years Old
Re: Zoo Keeper Cant Reach "dada"
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
i like to use the gate, but put alot of benches so the keepers and peopekl can sit in peace

Offline Flame_tiger5

• Zookeeper
    • http://
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 10:26:22 AM »
I have had that problem so much. And then I played Zoo Tycoon DS and it hit me in the face  :faint after i came back from the hospital,  :rofl2: :clap: I realised there were no gates and you just left zookeepers locked up for display with the animals.

Offline ponygirl

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 01:25:07 PM »
i also have a mac. what i do with the zookeepers is lock them in the the enclosure :eggevil