Author Topic: Tips on Free Roaming Peafowls  (Read 24760 times)

faeries30

Tips on Free Roaming Peafowls
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 06:48:18 AM »
Thanks so much I am going to try that today...
 :lol l

samemo

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 01:45:58 PM »
Originally posted by mo15@Mar 23 2005, 04:48 PM
@ faeries30 - to build a walk through, just leave the exhibit open at two ends and put a path through.  the animals don't care, and the guests should just walk right through.  i dont usually use them though, so i wouldnt trust me all that much ;)
i built a walk thru the camels kept coming out and the peafowl kept coming in  :w00t

Offline Gibbon-Fanatic

• ZA Designer
  • Marine Biologist
    • http://s12.invisionfree.com/zootoria/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 08:57:49 PM »
i thought that they couldnt as mine never leave a walk through exhibit i fthere are arches at the entrances

Offline Snow_Unicorn

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 05:02:43 AM »
Originally posted by karlhall39@Feb 28 2005, 10:37 AM
has any one seen a free roaming prediter (e.g. lion, tiger, bear, ect.) eat or attack a person mine dont. :rolleyes:
The only one I've seen is tiger. It's SO FUNNY when the guests go screaming beacause Tina and Tara are chasing them. :lol

Polaris

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 08:54:10 AM »
I've had free wandering cheetahs and okapis... Without the guests complaining at all, but I think that was more of a glitch as they would frequently "magically" walk through their fences :D

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2005, 02:45:21 PM »
Originally posted by Polaris@Apr 6 2005, 08:54 AM
I've had free wandering cheetahs and okapis... Without the guests complaining at all, but I think that was more of a glitch as they would frequently "magically" walk through their fences :D
lol...i know what you mean.  The only animals that don't get the "_____is not contained" message are peafowls.  If you put anything else in it usually keeps flashing those annoying messages, unless they escape and it doesn't seem to notice.

I take advantage of it and start free roaming areas for any escaped animals. :w00t

Pandaswelcomehere

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 05:54:09 PM »
This sounds like alot of fun. We're getting a new comp soon, this one couldn't handel the power of zt2, so hopefully I'll be able to try all this stuff.  :D

0m1

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2005, 12:51:12 PM »
I tried a herd of free roaming kangooroos once-
I set up a huge outback zoo, and I built it bit by bit, but I started working towards the east half, and had all of the west totally empty. So I put a shelter, food and water in the western corner and put a mixture of male and female red kangooroo's next to them. Thing is, they breed really fast, so soon I had a tonload of them, and many made it across the wasteland towards my zoo and were involved in some unfortunate boxing mishaps with my guests ... :P
I did get a few awards for releases into the wild after that though........ :P

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 04:51:40 AM »
Posted by: puff_cake Jan. 2 2005, 04:42 AM
I want free roaming peafowl in my zoo but im not sure whether i should give them that shelter as well as a few water bowls and grass lying about? Any suggestions?

Posted by: Jawz Jan. 2 2005, 11:04 AM
Well I do this in some of my Zoos but not all and I ussualy place them in corners behind stuff it works and they like it too  

Posted by: Skid 32 Jan. 2 2005, 11:50 AM
I just paint the area around the zoo entrance with their biome (can't remember it's name) add extra trees and place the water dish and food dish on opposite sides of the path.

Posted by: TerrierMom Jan. 2 2005, 12:49 PM
I give them the shelters. They wander all over the zoo, so I have shelters, food, and water scattered all over.

Posted by: puff_cake Jan. 2 2005, 11:10 PM
I have two of them and hopefully they will breed. I have their perch near the picnic area and their water bowl and a bowl of bananas next to the tables. They just wander around and have a great time. They dont even have their preferred bio. Its great that you can have them loose like in real zoos and the guests don't seem to mind.

Posted by: TerrierMom Jan. 3 2005, 01:24 AM
Oh, they will breed! And breed and breed and breed and breed......! Also they will poo,and poo, and poo and poo. Then they will poo some more. And breed.

Posted by: zoochick Jan. 4 2005, 04:17 PM
Although I knew that free roaming animals didnt seem to harm the zoo fame, I have never intentionally had animals roaming around. What a lovely idea! Thanks Puffcake!

Posted by: puff_cake Jan. 5 2005, 02:32 AM
That's ok, you won't regret it!

Posted by: That-Parbhu-Guy Jan. 8 2005, 06:19 AM
guest dont actually notice them or know theyre there i think cos i had them in my picnic area but nobody had thoughts about them

Posted by: Purring Tiger Jan. 8 2005, 07:02 AM
Hmm, i should try that. I've never tried having free roaming peafowl.  

Posted by: Cochin007 Jan. 8 2005, 07:12 PM
I've never tried free roaming peafowl yet.
But after what I have read here,I'm certainly going to trie it out.
I'll show a picture when it's ready,OK ?

Offline Spiderghost

• Honoriam Emeritus-Zoolander Forever!
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2005, 08:26:18 PM »
I have had success with flamingoes as well.

Less successful although very interesting were free roaming polar bears. For some reason the guest just don't like to be tossed to and fro with the exception for one guest that after having been tossed high into the air replied "I love watching Polar bear 6 play". LOL

yahoo

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2005, 01:42:57 AM »
When I let my peafowls free, a message displayed and said:' Guest can't view ......... if they don't keep in exhibits'......  :blink:

Did I do anything wrong? I follow the instruction but still I can't let animals roam free.  :unsure:

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2005, 03:25:31 PM »
It doesnt seem to be a problem for me.  I jsut put their biome everywhere, a couple of lookout towers, maple trees, next boxes, and some food (grass/water) THEN i put the peafowls in, i dont release them, i just set them straight in the zoo.

Offline That-Parbhu-Guy

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2005, 09:59:48 PM »
and even in a small area of biome they are still happy check out this pic of some i have peafowl foodcourt

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2005, 08:30:40 AM »
Free roaming peafowls are great they are happy as long as there is a place to sleep. mine have had loads of eggs. :lol:

Offline Rotipher

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005, 11:46:58 AM »
If you're having free-roaming peafowls, flamingos, whatever, it's a good idea to resurface the ground underneath your zoo objects with forest floor, grass, or whatever the local biome's non-dirt/rock surface is.  Then place a patch or two of dirt for the animals to poop on, preferably somewhere the guests don't go but keepers pass through frequently.  Just like in exhibits, you can coax animals into using specific spots as their toilet, thus preventing them from leaving too much unsightly poop on the paths.

Because camels are domesticated animals, you could probably set up a pretend "camel exhibit" that's really a free-roaming area of desert terrain, delineated by partial fencing and an arch at either end.  It'd be like a walk-through zoo exhibit IRL.  Kangaroos might work too; I've seen more than one walk-through Australian exhibit, albeit usually with wallabies rather than full-sized roos.

samemo

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »
yeah one time i tryd free roaming camels and they worked if i keeped them happy they wouldnt spit at people.

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2005, 12:46:06 PM »
Is there any more animals that can become free roaming animals?

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2005, 03:47:07 PM »
Originally posted by karlhall39@Feb 9 2005, 01:46 PM
Is there any more animals that can become free roaming animals?
i think you can do almost anything, as long as the guests are okay with it.  its not like they would want ree roaming tigers! :o

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2005, 10:40:07 AM »
Thanks ill try all the animals carnt wait to see what will happen. :lol:

Offline Typhoon

• Marine Biologist
    • http://s9.invisionfree.com/Zoo_Plaza/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2005, 04:31:39 PM »
My Peafowls were never happy outside of the exhibits. So I had to put it in an excibit.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2005, 04:42:42 PM »
I just tried free roaming lemurs.... :lol:

It works...you can see a pic of it in my zoos.  They will attack the guests though, its really funny.  The guests kinda get mad when attacked, but i still had 100 for guest happiness in my fame chart thing.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2005, 06:45:04 AM »
Free roaming peafowl eh?  Sounds a most excellent idea!  I shall try that out methinks.  

As a slightly random note - I currently have free roaming giraffes which work quite nicely.  Though that's only cause they keep walking out of their exhibit and I can't be bothered to put them back in.  Â¬Â¬

Offline Typhoon

• Marine Biologist
    • http://s9.invisionfree.com/Zoo_Plaza/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2005, 09:28:41 PM »
:o Free Roaming Lemurs and Giraffes! I can't even get Peacocks happy.

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2005, 08:37:05 AM »
has any one seen a free roaming prediter (e.g. lion, tiger, bear, ect.) eat or attack a person mine dont. :rolleyes:

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2005, 01:59:36 PM »
Originally posted by karlhall39@Feb 28 2005, 09:37 AM
I dont think they will kill the guests if they are not hungry.  If you dont place food then they probably would.  I have never tried though.  Wouldn't they attack the guests for fun?  The lemurs do :blink: