Author Topic: Desert Critters attacking and killing?  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Smadronia

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://www.smadronia.com
Desert Critters attacking and killing?
« on: June 07, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »
Well, I learned today not to put the crocs and the flamingoes together. I knew in my head it wouldn't work, but I figured my challenge would be over soon and it wouldn't matter. However, I had a death I didn't expect.

I went away for a bit to clean house, and when I came back, I found out my baby scimitar horned oryx had been attacked and killed. In the pen I had mating pairs for: Camels, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Spurred Tortise, and Fennec Foxes. I've done this particular exhibit 4 or 5 times, with no deaths, so I'm a littel confused.

Fennec Foxes eat meat, is it possible they're who took down the baby Oryx? Any thoughts?

Offline Pandawarrior

• Zookeeper
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:11:32 PM »
Look at down your message bar and it will sat "*Blank* was attacked and killed" click on that and it will take you to the animal that killed it.

Offline Smadronia

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »
When I clicked on it, It took me to the carcass. So I imagine that either it didnt' record it, or I took too long in clicking on the link.

Offline Amazon Serpentis

• Zookeeper
    • http://s3.invisionfree.com/Street_X/
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
You have to check what animal was the closest. They are normally the culprit.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:50 PM »
That IS weird! I mix fennecs with oryx and camels all the time!! I've NEVER had an 'attack and killed' death. Are you sure it was attacked and killed, or did it maybe just die from illness? Was its mother alive? :huh:

And, I always mix crocs and flamingoes and beavers and have never had a death from that, either! :shocked:

Offline sheltiefan

• Beware of parrot
  • Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:52:03 PM »
Is it possible their wasn't enough room in the exhibit to keep the animals happy? My  animals will become highly aggresive and even attack other animals if they are too cramped.

Offline Elysian

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:58:13 AM »
Yeah, my animals get really aggressive when there isn't much room. I left my AWD pack for a while to shower or something, and when I came back there were carcasses everywhere! I'm like "what happened?" so I put in another AWD and the status of one that was already there said something to the effect of "Challenging AWD 3 for Space" or something. Then the new one was killed >.<

- Elysian

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »
Yesterday, I had an interesting one. I was out and about cleaning the zoo and suddenly I got a message that my fennec fox had been crated for attacking a guest?!? And space was not an issue (they were in a huge exhibit with only a couple of camels since I was still building the exhibit up). Agressive little snot! lol

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
Quote from: zoochick
By the way, csl you are very brave. I never put crocs and flamingoes together!:shocked:

Not really. I'm big on mixed exhibits, and I do NOT try and 'squeeze' as many animals as possible into my zoo. I prefer large, natural exhibits (much like the San Diego Animal Park), so my animals rarely (if ever) kill another one. They simply wander away to their own area. Usually the only killing is with either female bears or male cats.

Offline Smadronia

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 07:17:26 PM »
Quote from: sheltiefan
Is it possible their wasn't enough room in the exhibit to keep the animals happy? My  animals will become highly aggresive and even attack other animals if they are too cramped.

I don't think that was a problem, everyone had a clear biome window, space and biome were satified, without the slightest sliver of green. I'm really big on large, mixes species exhibits, so I made sure to expand out before I did that.

To the person who asked about illness, it said in the zookeeper alert window at the top "Scimitar Horned Oryx 3 was attacked and killed" so I know it wasn't illness, unless illenss also counts as an attack. And nothing was out of it's exhibit, so it's not like the croc went halfway across the map and attacked.

I'm still inclined to think that maybe a fennec fox got hungry or felt threateneed (if they can in this game), and decided the oryx was easy prey. It's possible it wandered too far away from it's mother, and so the fennecs tried meat on the hoof instead. It was very strange, my first animal deaths at the hands of another critter.

Offline Dinostine

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 08:39:10 PM »
u know i put animals that are in fairly small spaces and never eat each other
although i did have African wild dog kill a Giant sable antelope for space

Offline SwordMako

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »
Do you have AA? Because animals seem to be a lot more confrontational since AA...

Offline Smadronia

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 01:35:10 AM »
Yes, I have AA. That might be why too, I hadn't thought of that. since then I haven't had a zoo with a problem, so it just seems odd.

Offline Dandelion Mane

• Zookeeper
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 03:13:09 AM »
:blushing: I have not moticed since I got AA. Before, fennecs only killed each other, but they did it for no reason.

Offline kiwah

• Senior Zookeeper
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 04:52:21 AM »
That's strange. I mix fennec foxes all the time with Scimitar horned oryx. did you have zoo keepers in the exhibit filling food dishes? It's possible that while you were gone the fennec foxes ran out of food and decided to kill the baby oryx. After all, it is sort of realistic. The babies aren't as dangerous as the adults. I doub't they would try and kill a full grown oryx.

Offline holepuncher

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://jackson.chanclan.ca/
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
I had the same thing happen in my large mixed desert exhibit.  My baby Scimitar Horned Oryx just mysteriously got killed.  There was a carcass laying there.  I fenced off the fennec foxes cuz I figured there were the culprits.  The turtles and camels seemed all too innocent.  I imagine maybe the foxes only attack "baby" Scimitar Horned Oryxs.  I really took noticed because I was specifically trying to breed the Scimitar Horned Oryxs.

Offline supremeruler77

• Zookeeper
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
dude, when animals kill each other, is there anything to see? this may sound cruel (but come on people, their computer programs) but i sometimes mix the predators and prey in starving and perfect situations to see an attack. zoo guest mode, over head, photographer, nothing! can anyone tell me if you can see it, and what does it look like?

Offline orangemonkey22

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 06:29:45 PM »
I'm just as much of a fan of animals killing each other as you are supremeruler77, and it's really not that exciting, it's just like, some pawing and scractching, and then the prey or unlucky animal turns into a carcass.

Offline heppes

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 10:11:59 PM »
that happened to me today! I made a large desert exhibit with every type of animal from the desert biome in there, and I left it for about 20 min to go do something, and I came back, and a fennec fox killed one of mine! I was like...confuzed because I didnt think that they could kill one of those! (i cant remember of the name right now...sorry!) but it turned out that the fox critically needed stimulation needs. I just put in like 20 live food, lizards and she killed every one of them and didn't eat them. then she didn't kill any one of them again! it was weird.....

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 11:06:35 PM »
i learned to keep males apart because their killers too when they fight if there is a animal in the middle of them when they are about to fight then that animal gets killed because i had 2 male Giant Sable antelopes and 1 female

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 11:28:20 PM »
Quote from: Nique
Yesterday, I had an interesting one. I was out and about cleaning the zoo and suddenly I got a message that my fennec fox had been crated for attacking a guest?!? And space was not an issue (they were in a huge exhibit with only a couple of camels since I was still building the exhibit up). Agressive little snot! lol

If you look inside the exhibit you'll probably find a guest wandering around it - I've had this happen lots of times, either through guests falling off of elevated paths and sky trams, or being too close to the wall when loading the game
(sometimes the guest will be so close that the computer will put the guest on the other side of the wall when you reload the game - this usually happens with my animals causing them to escape just after I load up, or worse it moves them into the lions den...:pinch: )

Offline orangemonkey22

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 04:12:16 AM »
ya, that's a problem w/ some mixed exhibits w/ carnivores and large un-killable herbivores. You see, those carnivores can't kill the adults, but they can kill their young (eg fennec foxes killing baby scimitar-horned orynxes, lions killing baby giraffes, etc.)

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 06:46:52 AM »
actually a pride of lions can kill an adult :giraffe1: if they are hungry enough and cant find anything else

Offline luckybunny

• Zookeeper
  • Don't kiss flamingoes- it's not healthy
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »
I had a polar bear exhibit and a restroom beside the exhibit and guests kept appearing and the keepers kept crating my polar bears just cause the guests were coming in.  I deleted the restroom and it stopped doing that. And if you still have the SH oryx was killed thing on it, delete the carcess and then click it and it'll take you to the killer. (keep that in mind for next time)

Offline Bjrichards

• Zookeeper
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 07:08:29 AM »
O.O the guests dug a tunnel into the polar bear exhibit