Author Topic: Big Tips  (Read 8918 times)

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Big Tips
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
Quote from: DinoDave-92
In my experience, guests will not sit next to a staff member on any kind of bench:laughing:

Odd, because I've seen guests sit next to staff members. :huh:

Offline KookyKoopa12

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »
Here's a hint for owners of AA: Make the African spurred tortoise's exhibit small. Either that, or put all of the things the tortoise needs in a small area. Otherwise, it may take about 3 minutes to reach its food dish.

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »
And that takes up you message box BIG time! I made a giant destert/ scrub exibit and both the GGTs and the ASTs would not stop complaining!

Offline KookyKoopa12

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:17 PM »
Another one- Never, ever, ever, EVER put mandrills and pygmy hippos in the same exhibit. Pygmy hippos need deep water to get their necessary excercise, and mandrills can't swim! I learned that the hard way when my mandrills wandered in the water a couple of times.

Offline horse23

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »
I only have the demo becuase my computer is stupid, but I have a lot of trouble with animals "not being contained". I take the animal out of  the pen, put it on a path, then put it back in the pen. That usualy works.

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »
Must be the trial program...

Offline banmenowBK

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »
Just a recent observation, zookeepers take the direct route to the exhibit, the closest way in, if you place a bench in front of the exhibit, in the staff gate away from it, he try to walk through the fence to the exhibit, get the I can't reach message.

Offline Charli

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:02 PM »
My hints is BOIME EXIBITS!!

It make the animals in it breed faster, and you can cross-bred giraffes, and guest love it. Basiclly you pick a boime and put all the non meat eaters in it and there ya go!

Offline african_elephant_2006

• Zookeeper
  • Remember the elephants. Forget ivory!
Big Tips
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 07:11:06 PM »
Since Dino Danger is out, don't mix a dinosaur with any other animal.especially the carnivores!)
i.e.: T-rex with Bengal tiger.

Offline netherdragon

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 07:57:30 PM »
................................... well i have nothing to say but this................................

dont put carnivore dinos with any other animal/dino it causes them to stalk them
unnecicarily and well all goes bad....

Offline AnimalKeeper95

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tip
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2006, 12:03:12 PM »
Well, you might want to cross biomes, such as savvanah and scrub, grassland goes with anything except tundra, also, since we're talking about fame, every time you earn a new star of fame, your entrance gets cooler.

Offline zt2play'r

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »
I think mmy keepers are alergic (sp?) to uguntlatnt(sp?) poo.They will walk around it about 15 times before the scoop it.and never let a keeper wash and animals that is 'going to give birth' my keepers did that with a clouded leopard and before bath time the pregnancy sign was red.and after it the animal won't be pregnant anymore without giving birth O.o

Offline lamna

• Senior Zookeeper
    • http://
Big Tips
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »
Keep canivoer with herbivores! As long as the predator is well feed he will only stalk prey. The prey actuely benifet as runing keep them fit and gets social up. (Wow my spellings geting worse.

Offline pikapower704

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Big Tips
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2006, 03:47:35 PM »
I once had a problem with one of the senerios. The one with the meerkats. I  had no fences that could keep them in, so, what I did was, build an exhibit with a cheap fence, than, use exhibit doors all around the exhibit. Like a wall of doors. It worked....looked odd, but, it worked. Another thing I suggest is not to build deep ditches in small exhibits. I had a rhino in a small exhibit, it fit him comfortably, and a small ditch. My rhino kept running into the hole. Than his head got stuck in one of the walls in the ditch.

Offline KookyKoopa12

• Zookeeper
Big Tips
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2006, 04:04:27 PM »
One big tip- do not mix Carnotaurs or T-rex's with anything... they will eat anything else in their exhibit. Styracosaurs can easily be mixed with any Tropical animal and Triceratops fare well with Moose.

Offline benjiboy180

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »
Oh i have a sugestion. With the meerkats If you build a double layered fence and put concrete between the 2 fences the meerkats wont dig out and through the concrete (go figure). Also i have been having problems with animals that cant swim "falling" into the watering hole in there exhibit. So if an animal cant swim dont mix it with animals that can. I also have strange problems with animals ecsaping. Its rather wierd because they just appear out side of their exhibits (i have seen camels, peafowl, tapirs, komodo dragon, and worst of al lthe grizzly bear). The grizzly would repeatadly get out and chase my poor gusts! Also geusts would randomly get into his exhibit and be all "oh i dont like this! AHH!!" Its like NO DUH!! If you go into his exhibit he WILL CHASE YOU!!! lol

Offline topcatdk

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »
Interesting benjiboy, I had the same with my Polar Bears, guests would quite frequently end up in the exhibit and the poor bear was put in a crate. I finally noticed an enrichment object (the car tire) that looked like it was on top of the fence I removed the tire and it seems like it fixed the problem.

Some hints of mine (In random order):
Quick animals can sprint through the jeep gates, grrrrr.

Avoid jeeps going through tortoise exhibits, takes forever for a tortoise to cross the road.

In challenge mode I've often grouped 4 exhibits together, then created an empty no-mans land (2x2 squares) in the middle with a gate to each of the exhibits and a bench, then 1 or 2 keepers can handle those 4 exhibits without ever wandering off. (no gates to the outside world of cause)

Maintanance workers seems to only like the standard bench, make sure one is availeble close to your food court.

Theme your areas as much as posible, the food stalls cost the same, but requires no research and seems to be liked more by the guests.

Guests can see 10 squares, so don't use deeper exhibits, use the visible area view often to ensure your guests can see something interesting.

Most shelters seems to be affected by a bug where animals are relocated to the back of the shelter, so never place a shelter next to a fence, 2 squares away is best, same might be true for some enrichment objects.

Animals that can climb some fences can also climb trees, so don't place trees next to your safe fence.

The discovery kiosk (ES) is well worth it's price, place several near interesting exhibits and have donation boxes close by.

Don't forget to release animals to the wild, helps to build up your zoo rating.

Check your guests favourite animal (sort the guest list by animal, most popular will be at the top) and try and exhibit the top ones (often Koala, F. Fox, Meerkat and Flaminco)

Placing restrooms, benches and ATM's at regular intervals are obvious, but also add zoo maps, statues, fountains and playground equipment regulary.

If many guests are in need of something check where they are, if the problem appears in a specific area you should fix it fast.

Steve Irwin once said the most importaint thing in a Zoo are the animals, don't forget that. Healthy and happy animals are the key to everything as they make guests happy (better rating) and happy guests donate more money.

You can set up a special exhibit for photo challenge requirements, so if you need to take a picture of a red panda resting in a tree simply move a panda to your special area, add a tree (and no other places to rest) and click. Same for pictures with specific object, only place that special enrichment object with the animal.

Offline chondropython

• Pooper Scooper
Help a newbie out, will ya?
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2006, 11:44:14 PM »
Yeah, so I got ZT2 about a week ago... I was totally excited, downloaded all of the new stuff, and started building my first zoo (in freeform, of course).  It was a dream come true!  That is... until the guests started complaining about EVERYTHING.  Is it just me, or are they a little ridiculous in their demands!  It's easier to make the animals happy than the guests, now! :angry:

Anyway, their main complain is that there aren't enough places to rest, and I swear, there are a million empty benches around.  Is there some special way to place them?  Should I just place rows upon rows of benches?  Are tables better than benches?

Really that's my main complaint, and I don't know if I should ignore all of their complaining or if there's some way to fix it.  If any of you gurus could lend a hand, I'd really appriciate it.  =)

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
Big Tips
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:19 PM »
[lower]as We Already Have A Topic On Strategies To Make Guests Happy Etc Merged With That.[/lower]

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Big Tips
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2006, 01:48:48 AM »
I've heard good things about gazebos for helping guests to rest, they're a little cumbersome but can hold more than a bench.

I personally leave 1 to 2 benchs outside each fence to an exhibit, so guests can sit and watch the animals, that seems to keep the guests happy (well, about needing to rest anyway! :laughing:)

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Big Tips
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2006, 02:24:20 AM »
thats what i do, unless the zookeepers take up the benches, then i replace all the gates with fence and trap the zookeepers inside the exhibit so they have no choice but to look after it. It works lol
My guests just annoy me because they always need more 'amusement' thats why you go to zoos!!! : :P : animals keep me amused enough :rolleyes:

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Big Tips
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 03:45:12 AM »
animals keep me amused enough

Hey, good point, Budgie!! :thumbsup: I also 'trap' the keepers in their exhbits, with a bench for them (wow, I'm so kind!). And for the guests I always have plenty of benches around exhibits. They seem to get tired easily, don't they?:whistling

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Big Tips
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2006, 04:12:33 AM »
you are nice to your zookeepers, I'm not really all that nice to them at all actually, I don't pay them, and i don't let them sit down :laughing: im so horrible
My guests keep yawning at me, but i've found if I put those discovery kiosk things in, that seems to keep them occupied. I barley ever see them use that boucy house thing though :blink: waste of money and space really...

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Big Tips
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2006, 07:21:16 AM »
Quote from: chondropython;144619

Anyway, their main complain is that there aren't enough places to rest, and I swear, there are a million empty benches around.  

Alloy's right, the gazebos seem to alleviate the needing to rest messages.  I often put two gazebos facing each other at the entrance to my zoos, so guests who are tired coming in use them and then won't complain for a while.  :wink:

There's also a similar message that often comes up, saying guests want a place to sit and eat, even though there are picnic tables.  What they are asking for then is a restuarant, which is really annoying when they're not available yet!  :laughing:

Another thing would be to sort your guests by their needs when that message comes up and see who is tired.  It might be only a handful of guests in a certain area.  Once I found I had neglected to fence off a blank section of my zoo, and a bunch of guests were wandering in it, all tired and complaining.

Offline topcatdk

• Pooper Scooper
Big Tips
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2006, 03:08:34 PM »
Few more observations:

Both animals and guests can get stuck sometimes and sometimes a need can be locked so no mater what it can't be helped. I once had a gorilla who was thirsty, but no mater how many times he went to the disk with water it didn't help. If this happens you should probably get rid of the animal rather than having him pulling your rating down and making your guests unhappy. Animals stuck in a certain activity can usually be saved by picking them up and droping them a different place in the exhibit.

Stuck or locked guests can be more difficult as they are almost imposible to spot, one way if you are playing a long challenge game you can simply close the zoo once every game year and get everybody out, then bring up the guest list and check for anybody staying behind. Costs a bit of money but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Another subject is the entrence price, by setting it for free guests seems to be happier when they enter the gates, won't hurt your econemy as much as you might think. In my current game I've run with normal entrence price and collected 26000 in lifetime income, not much when compared with the almost 2 million that's been donated in the same timeframe.