Author Topic: Mixed Animal Exhibits  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« on: January 19, 2005, 05:13:52 AM »
Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 01:44 PM
hey what animals go together suitably so i can make an exhibit wiith 2 different types of animals?
ive already done greater flamingos with hippos but idont know any others that go together.

help!  

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 01:48 PM
some mixed exhibits I have done where everyone was happy

Flamingo/croc/hippo/beaver ....just make it big enough
Mountain Gorilla/Chimp
Beaver/Moose - use 1/2 wetlands and 1/2 boreal forest and neither seems to mind
Ostrich/Elephant/Gazelle/Giraffe/Zebra/Rhino - again, just make it big enough, can also add lion and or cheetah as long as they are kept fed ...assign multiple zookeepers to feed and clean up all the poo
Rhino/Elephant/Lion or Cheetah - haven't tried lions and cheetahs together yet
Peafowl/Red Panda

Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 01:55 PM
thanks for your help. i have another issue. i hav built a few large areas which contain playgrounds gazebos and fountains and yet i keep getitng the warning that i should build more of those things to amuse guests. what should i do?

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 02:03 PM
If you are doing the campaigns ....especially the Mysterious Panda one, add more gazebos....guests seem to like them ....I also throw in a bouncy ride here and there where ever I have a blank spot to fit one besides building a playground ......I rarely put more than 1 fountain in a zoo and hardly ever use statues ....the other attractions that seem to satisfy the guests wants are the insect and reptile houses and the pony ride

Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 02:10 PM
thanx ill give that a try. im playing free form though but yeah it shud be the same

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 02:37 PM
oh...and for mixed exhibits I forgot gemsbok/red kangaroo

Posted by: That-Parbhu-Guy Jan. 8 2005, 02:42 PM
All animals from the same biomes can be mixed together and all animals as long as there is a patch of their biome nearby and food there sweet!

Posted by: Cochin007 Jan. 8 2005, 06:49 PM
Not really Kiran .. I don't think you can mix meat eaters with herbivores. But I'm not sure
I've tried these one already :
-grizzly bear - moose
-Hippo-flamingo
-Thompson gazelle - ostrich-giraffe-black rhino-zebra
-Gemsbok - red kangaroo - camel (2 biomes)
-Okapi - mountain gorilla - chimpansee - ring tailed lemur

Posted by: Snowstalker Jan. 9 2005, 01:25 AM
Gemsbok/Gazelle/Giraffe/Zebra/Black rhino/Ostrich- A bit of scrub and they'll all be happy

Hippo/flamingo

Hippo/Peafowl- As long as you keep the peafowls out of the water, this exhibit will be fine.

Red panda/Peafowl- Great mixed exhibit for starters

Those are all he mixed exhibits I've tried.

Posted by: Ouch Jan. 9 2005, 01:33 AM
Actually, Cochin, you CAN put predators in with prey(you've already tried this with Grizzly Bear and Moose). As long as the animals needs are satisfied, I believe everything will be OK.

Posted by: Smilodon fatalis Jan. 9 2005, 01:36 AM
I've mixed camel with gemsbok, and both are breeding. I even had 2 baby camels at once!

Posted by: reflaco Jan. 9 2005, 02:24 AM
I dont know if predators and preys are a nice combination... I have put: penguins -polar bears; crocs - beavers - hippos... and even the carnivores didnt ate the other animals they stalk them... and it makes the prey unhappy... and that affects the happines of the guests... I get messages like "Oh no... Croc 1 is stalking beaver 1" or "Penguin 3 is running from polar bear" and they dont like it... cause this thought is red!!...

A nice combinations, but also expensive: panda bears and red panda bears... It works for me!!

Posted by: mo15 Jan. 9 2005, 12:21 PM
yes, you can put any animals of the same biome together, as long as you have enough space and they are fed. i had bengal tigers and okapis together and everyone was fine. the tigers stalked the okapis and the okapis ran away, but they never killed. (one of my okapis ran straight up a waterfall in fear for his life then go unhappy because he couldn't swim...  
but usually the prey gets so caught up in running away and making sure they aren't attacked, they have no time to eat or anything and get unhappy  

Posted by: Bengal Jan. 9 2005, 01:16 PM
You can pretty much place every animal with other animals that live in their biome together.

Posted by: Cochin007 Jan. 9 2005, 08:42 PM
(Smilodon fatalis @ Jan. 8 2005, 05:36 PM)
I've mixed camel with gemsbok, and both are breeding. I even had 2 baby camels at once!

I tried that two ... I even putted kangaroos in that exhibit ; all fine ! I already had about 6 baby gemsbok,2 camel babies (not at once  ) and 3 baby kangaroos
Another one I tried : Blakc leopard - tiger - jaguar
Just keep them satisfied and make the exhibit big enough

Offline That-Parbhu-Guy

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
Originally posted by Aussie Koala@Jan 19 2005, 07:13 AM
All animals from the same biomes can be mixed together and all animals as long as there is a patch of their biome nearby and food there sweet!

well i tried all savanah animals andif the lions and cheetahs were fed they wouldnt attack or kill

samemo

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 09:21:19 PM »
hey, i put cammels, gemsbok, ostriches, hippos, flamingos, zebras, giraffe and gazzele in the one exibit and there fine but it gets pritty meesy.

Offline Nepenthe

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »
We already know all the animals from the same biome get along fine, even they are from different part of the world.

Desert/Scrub can be combined.
Scrub/Savannah
Tundra/Alpine

Those are the ones I have tried personnally.

I have found by biome suitability rating usually goes up when I combine biomes.  (Even before I put in multiple species!)

If my predators have enough toys to keep them entertained (as well as being well fed), they don't bother the herbivores too much.  I think they mainly stalk when they are getting a bit bored.  A couple stuffed prey dummies can really help there, and aren't too expensive.

The problems I have had are mixing animals that like to swim with animals that can't swim!  I'm always pulling ibex out of the polar bears' swimming pool. :P

Offline Rearing Gemsbok

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 10:03:01 AM »
Musk Ox, Polar Bears and Penguins should work.(Throw in a ibex if you need more animals)
Or Musk Ox, Ibex / Moose,Musk Ox, Ibex.

These are all untested though but from the things I know and have read here they should work.

Offline WhitePanda

• Zookeeper
    • http://whitepanda.tk
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 08:10:07 PM »
I always combine rainforest monkeys together when doing a big tropical enclosure. That works for me. But I try to avoid predator/prey conflicts.

Offline cindajean

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 05:13:45 PM »
Flamingos and Ring-Tailed Lemur

samemo

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 01:54:12 AM »
Originally posted by WhitePanda@Jan 26 2005, 10:10 PM
I always combine rainforest monkeys together when doing a big tropical enclosure. That works for me. But I try to avoid predator/prey conflicts.
there is only the chimp & rtlemur gorrilas dont count they are apes  :unsure: or :unsure:  primeapes im not sure :blink: .

Offline Ouch

• Zookeeper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 11:06:04 AM »
But Chimps and Lemurs aren't monkeys either. And its Primates. And all three are Primates.

samemo

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 10:39:17 PM »
:huh: ok im wrong again <_<  but chimps are monkeys arent they :huh:  :blink: ?

Offline Ouch

• Zookeeper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 11:27:20 AM »
Err...No, Chimps are apes, like Gorillas.

Offline fishtankbabe

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://fishtankbabe.deviantart.com
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 11:49:20 AM »
samemo, if it has a tail, it's a monkey or a lemur. If it doesn't have a tail, it's an ape. That's the easiest way to remember the difference. So far there are no monkeys in ZT2 (but they should add some!) :)

marioh

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 11:34:03 AM »
I tried mixing the Ibex and Snow Leopard in a huge, hilly Alpine exhibit.   The Ibex had "safe" areas where they could go where the Snow Leopards apparently couldn't go(or didn't want to go), due to differences in height elevation (I think).   The only problem I've seen when you mix prey and predators like those 2 is when the prey has offspring.   Since none of my Ibex's were killed by the Snow Leopards, I didn't think twice when one of the Ibex's gave birth.   Sure enough, I should've cared since the baby Ibex was attacked and killed by one of the Snow Leopards soon after birth.   So now, I create temporary "nurseries" where I move vulnerable prey offspring to when they're born (along with their mother).   And as soon as they become adults, I move them back into the main exhibit.   I haven't had another one of these "accidents" since, and I mix predators and prey all the time.   But, I have only been playing the game for a few days now, so maybe I'll have a couple more "accidents", especially with my huge savannah exhibit which has almost all of the savannah animals.

Offline TigerTycoon

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 07:41:17 PM »
I love mixing animals, 'specially preditor/prey, and the only problem I've had was when my rainforest cats almost whiped out my lemurs.  I had to seperate them then, but only by a natural barrier.  Other than that, I haven't had a problem mixing animals.

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 08:01:01 PM »
I dont usually mix predator and prey...its not that they kill each other, if they are well fed they are fine, but usually the prey gets unahhpy b/c they are always running away and have no time to satisfy their needs <_<

Offline karlhall39

• Zookeeper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 01:18:36 PM »
I mix animals from all biomes im mean like all wetland animals all the preadaters do is stalk the say flamingos and the preform call and everything runs. :unsure:  Its the same with african animals. <_<

Pheonix_Fire

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:48:54 PM »
I find that nerly all savannah herbivore animals go with the camel.
As long as there is plenty of desert and savannah they totally work :D

Offline mo15

• Pest Control
  • Game Warden
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »
Some animals will work in different biomes, so you could put just a mix of some stuff and put all the animals from one country or something in one exhbit too.  The guests just dont like seeing animals in different biomes as much.

Offline Aussie Koala

• Canasta Trendsetter
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
    • http://www.aussiekoala.com
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 05:13:52 AM »
Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 01:44 PM
hey what animals go together suitably so i can make an exhibit wiith 2 different types of animals?
ive already done greater flamingos with hippos but idont know any others that go together.

help!  

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 01:48 PM
some mixed exhibits I have done where everyone was happy

Flamingo/croc/hippo/beaver ....just make it big enough
Mountain Gorilla/Chimp
Beaver/Moose - use 1/2 wetlands and 1/2 boreal forest and neither seems to mind
Ostrich/Elephant/Gazelle/Giraffe/Zebra/Rhino - again, just make it big enough, can also add lion and or cheetah as long as they are kept fed ...assign multiple zookeepers to feed and clean up all the poo
Rhino/Elephant/Lion or Cheetah - haven't tried lions and cheetahs together yet
Peafowl/Red Panda

Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 01:55 PM
thanks for your help. i have another issue. i hav built a few large areas which contain playgrounds gazebos and fountains and yet i keep getitng the warning that i should build more of those things to amuse guests. what should i do?

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 02:03 PM
If you are doing the campaigns ....especially the Mysterious Panda one, add more gazebos....guests seem to like them ....I also throw in a bouncy ride here and there where ever I have a blank spot to fit one besides building a playground ......I rarely put more than 1 fountain in a zoo and hardly ever use statues ....the other attractions that seem to satisfy the guests wants are the insect and reptile houses and the pony ride

Posted by: vbadminton Jan. 8 2005, 02:10 PM
thanx ill give that a try. im playing free form though but yeah it shud be the same

Posted by: mak1027 Jan. 8 2005, 02:37 PM
oh...and for mixed exhibits I forgot gemsbok/red kangaroo

Posted by: Cochin007 Jan. 8 2005, 06:49 PM
Not really Kiran .. I don't think you can mix meat eaters with herbivores. But I'm not sure
I've tried these one already :
-grizzly bear - moose
-Hippo-flamingo
-Thompson gazelle - ostrich-giraffe-black rhino-zebra
-Gemsbok - red kangaroo - camel (2 biomes)
-Okapi - mountain gorilla - chimpansee - ring tailed lemur

Posted by: Snowstalker Jan. 9 2005, 01:25 AM
Gemsbok/Gazelle/Giraffe/Zebra/Black rhino/Ostrich- A bit of scrub and they'll all be happy

Hippo/flamingo

Hippo/Peafowl- As long as you keep the peafowls out of the water, this exhibit will be fine.

Red panda/Peafowl- Great mixed exhibit for starters

Those are all he mixed exhibits I've tried.

Posted by: Ouch Jan. 9 2005, 01:33 AM
Actually, Cochin, you CAN put predators in with prey(you've already tried this with Grizzly Bear and Moose). As long as the animals needs are satisfied, I believe everything will be OK.

Posted by: Smilodon fatalis Jan. 9 2005, 01:36 AM

Posted by: reflaco Jan. 9 2005, 02:24 AM
I dont know if predators and preys are a nice combination... I have put: penguins -polar bears; crocs - beavers - hippos... and even the carnivores didnt ate the other animals they stalk them... and it makes the prey unhappy... and that affects the happines of the guests... I get messages like "Oh no... Croc 1 is stalking beaver 1" or "Penguin 3 is running from polar bear" and they dont like it... cause this thought is red!!...

A nice combinations, but also expensive: panda bears and red panda bears... It works for me!!

Posted by: mo15 Jan. 9 2005, 12:21 PM
yes, you can put any animals of the same biome together, as long as you have enough space and they are fed. i had bengal tigers and okapis together and everyone was fine. the tigers stalked the okapis and the okapis ran away, but they never killed. (one of my okapis ran straight up a waterfall in fear for his life then go unhappy because he couldn't swim...  
but usually the prey gets so caught up in running away and making sure they aren't attacked, they have no time to eat or anything and get unhappy  

Posted by: Bengal Jan. 9 2005, 01:16 PM
You can pretty much place every animal with other animals that live in their biome together.

Posted by: Cochin007 Jan. 9 2005, 08:42 PM
(Smilodon fatalis @ Jan. 8 2005, 05:36 PM)

I tried that two ... I even putted kangaroos in that exhibit ; all fine ! I already had about 6 baby gemsbok,2 camel babies (not at once  ) and 3 baby kangaroos
Another one I tried : Blakc leopard - tiger - jaguar
Just keep them satisfied and make the exhibit big enough

Offline That-Parbhu-Guy

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
Originally posted by Aussie Koala@Jan 19 2005, 07:13 AM

well i tried all savanah animals andif the lions and cheetahs were fed they wouldnt attack or kill

samemo

Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 09:21:19 PM »
hey, i put cammels, gemsbok, ostriches, hippos, flamingos, zebras, giraffe and gazzele in the one exibit and there fine but it gets pritty meesy.

Offline Nepenthe

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 07:17:59 AM »
We already know all the animals from the same biome get along fine, even they are from different part of the world.

Desert/Scrub can be combined.
Scrub/Savannah
Tundra/Alpine

Those are the ones I have tried personnally.

I have found by biome suitability rating usually goes up when I combine biomes.  (Even before I put in multiple species!)

If my predators have enough toys to keep them entertained (as well as being well fed), they don't bother the herbivores too much.  I think they mainly stalk when they are getting a bit bored.  A couple stuffed prey dummies can really help there, and aren't too expensive.

The problems I have had are mixing animals that like to swim with animals that can't swim!  I'm always pulling ibex out of the polar bears' swimming pool. :P

Offline Rearing Gemsbok

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 10:03:01 AM »
Musk Ox, Polar Bears and Penguins should work.(Throw in a ibex if you need more animals)
Or Musk Ox, Ibex / Moose,Musk Ox, Ibex.

These are all untested though but from the things I know and have read here they should work.

Offline WhitePanda

• Zookeeper
    • http://whitepanda.tk
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 08:10:07 PM »

Offline cindajean

• Pooper Scooper
Mixed Animal Exhibits
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2005, 05:13:45 PM »
Flamingos and Ring-Tailed Lemur