Author Topic: Entertaining Your Guests  (Read 1760 times)

Offline jeffw

• Pooper Scooper
Entertaining Your Guests
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:35:12 AM »
How does what you build affect the entertainment of your guests?  I take it that the kids are entertained by the various rides.  Does variety matter?  It costs so much to research each one.

For adults are fountains and arches the best way?  Are the entertainment needs of the guests reduced depending on the amount of time they spend near these objects?  If I put a bench in next to a fountain would that encourage guests to stay longer in proximity to the fountain and be more entertained?  

Do flowers and trees entertain guests?  What about decorative fences?  Would putting a low decorative fence around my food court help keep the guests entertained?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »
For the most part, I think the most entertaining thing you can do is have exhibits -everywhere-, and I mean everywhere...ideally there should always be an exhibit within view.  Nothing entertains a guest more than watching animals, and the entertainment value of exhibits far outweighs any benefits you get from rides/scenery.

I don't really think guests appreciate scenery (excepting tour objects, and then only if they are on a tour).  They'll sit on fences if they're tired, or to view animals, but I don't think putting a bench near a fountain encourages guests to sit on it (unless they're tired I suppose, and those benches are the only ones).  

Looking at the ai files, it seems guests do generate amusement from certain scenery objects (note, generally not downloaded scenery unless it comes with an AI file), but only if they are Looking At scenery object, such as Looking At Fountain, and I don't generally find guests do that much if there is other stuff to look at.  Viewing animals gives guests roughly twice as much amusement as looking at fountains, using kiosks etc.

Guests don't seem to respond to looking at fences or foliage, but they make looking at your zoos much nicer! :D

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:05:10 PM »
As always, Shen has a very detailed report of what helps. Thanks for being so helpful to members, Shen!

I usually add fountains, kiosks, and tours for guests. For kids, the Splash Fountain and Face Painting kiosks, as well as the playground equipment, are always nice. Think about what you would like if you were at a zoo. OF course, entertaining animals are always the best, especially animals that children like to imitate. Moose, though they are cheap, are big hits with the kids. Bears, monkeys, and big cats are also very entertaining. Remember that endangerment level has little effect on how much the people like the animal, generally.

Offline Jaguar

• Zookeeper
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »
To me, some objects do indeed make guests more amused like arches, fountains, and other things like that, playgrounds for the kids would also add to this as well. So far, I have noticed that fences do absolutely do nothing for your guest's amusement level, they make your zoos look better though. Paths also really make no effect from what I have seen. Guests absolutely love themed areas, so try them out.

But the only reason guests come to your zoo is to view the animals. Take good care of your animals, and they'll entertain your guests. It's sort of a do-this-I-do-this type ordeal.

That's my take on it. :wink:

Offline rosemaryninja

• Pooper Scooper
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 04:39:32 PM »
I don't like building rides because they cost so much to research and they only entertain the kids. Instead I entertain them with lots of fountains and arches. Have these arranged evenly around your zoo so a guest never has to walk too long before reaching a source of entertainment.

Discovery Kiosks also work for entertainment and, at the same time, increase your education donations.

The kids in my zoo, I find, are particularly entertained by my chimpanzees. Put in some interesting enrichment objects - I have the easel and the tyre swing. The chimps love those, and so do the guests. Kids also love the moose and the flamingo.

I don't think putting a bench near your fountain will help. Guests, I think, are only attracted to benches when they're tired. Instead, when they go over to the fountain to view it or toss a coin in, pick them up after they've walked off and put them there again. Or you can put them near a different arch/fountain.

I've never found flowers and trees to entertain guests. But, as ShenTirag said, they do make your zoo look much nicer. I'm not sure if they increase guest happiness, but I've had guests walk past flower beds and think "Good placement of (insert type of flower here.)"

Offline shecrock

• Zookeeper
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 12:40:51 AM »
i know that Adding gift carts well make your guest happer .And the ATM's

Offline Silver_Gryphon

• Pooper Scooper
Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 01:03:36 AM »
I try and put small statues around the place, 'cos the adults seem to like seeing statues, even if it's a zoo map, it helps. Also, music rocks help - I use the tundra, jungle, and safari rocks usually, 'cos you don't need to research those, and the guests get amusement from dancing next to them ^_^

Offline scruffy

• Zookeeper
  • Youngest VideoGame Tester---13.5 Years Old
Re: Entertaining Your Guests
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:03:13 AM »
i like to make a huge food court and split in 2. on one side i mak a food court, and on the other, i make a park with rides, pictures, face painting...