Author Topic: Shallow Vs. Deep Water  (Read 12410 times)

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« on: October 04, 2005, 04:51:58 PM »
Very often when I make an exhibit with water, I have to make a decision about whether to use deep or shallow water, or a combination.  And I'm not always sure what to pick.  I was just wondering what everyone else does and what your motivations were.  Has anyone noticed if certain animals seem to enjoy one or the other, or possibly are happiest with both?  What do you prefer from a design standpoint?  And what about waterfalls?

Personally, I usually use shallow water because it seems to cause less problems with landscaping, and seems to take up slightly less space, unless I'm making an exhibit for an animal I know loves to swin in water a lot, like the polar bear.

Offline Leveler

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:54:45 PM »
I almost always use shallow water cuz in deep water many animals drown. The only animals that i give deep water too are: penguins, polar bears, crocodiles( but hippos+crocs+flamingos can have it too) and for moats between exibits

mitzibear

Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »
I usually use shallow except on a few certain one's. Like Polar bears I always give them deep. I also noticed elephants don't drown in deep water either or at least mine didn't! Zebras, lions and the such I usually give shallow :)

Mitzi

Offline Zeta Missy: Purple Turtle

• Pooper Scooper
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 03:52:24 PM »
I had my cheetah pair in an exhibit with flamingos, hippos, elephants, and crocs once. Since they were only in there temporarily, I didn't bother the change the water.

This one time, as I was nameing a baby elephant (It takes me forever to think of a good name. This one turned out to be Cyrus Darius ("King of The Sun" in hebrew)) and a cheetah ran ON TOP of the DEEP water!!!! Lol. It was seriously creepy!

Offline dj_une

• Pooper Scooper
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 04:22:20 AM »
It's easy to check if you can use deep water in the exhibit, just pick the animal you want and hold it over deep water, if it starts to swim then your safe  :)  I like to make the exhibits more realistic and use both deep and shallow water.

Larkasnow

Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 05:58:21 AM »
i use a combination of both usually unless the animal can't swim in deep or shallow :happy

Larkasnow

Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 06:00:02 AM »
Originally posted by Zeta Missy: Purple Turtle@Oct 8 2005, 04:52 PM
I had my cheetah pair in an exhibit with flamingos, hippos, elephants, and crocs once. Since they were only in there temporarily, I didn't bother the change the water.

This one time, as I was nameing a baby elephant (It takes me forever to think of a good name. This one turned out to be Cyrus Darius ("King of The Sun" in hebrew)) and a cheetah ran ON TOP of the DEEP water!!!! Lol. It was seriously creepy!
i know!! :shocked  its strange my giraffes, rhinos and cheetahs have done it too! :crazy

Offline Sugar Glider

• Pooper Scooper
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 08:36:31 AM »
My bears do that too, lmao!

Offline dootdoot

• Zookeeper
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 08:47:40 AM »
I've seen beavers run in water, and then start going up in the air! Sometimes it's deep water too! :lol

Offline ChaosBlade

• Pooper Scooper
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 09:06:44 AM »
Originally posted by dootdoot@Oct 9 2005, 09:47 AM
I've seen beavers run in water, and then start going up in the air! Sometimes it's deep water too! :lol
My beavers do that, too...All of sudden they start flying.  :crazy

Offline Zoo

• Game Warden
Shallow Vs. Deep Water
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 11:48:49 AM »
Originally posted by ChaosBlade+Oct 9 2005, 10:06 AM-->
QUOTE (ChaosBlade @ Oct 9 2005, 10:06 AM)
\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t