Author Topic: TaraM's Wild Habitats and Zoo Exhibits.  (Read 6247 times)

Offline TaraM

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
TaraM's Wild Habitats and Zoo Exhibits.
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:45:42 PM »
Warning: these pictures are 800x600 and about 150kb in size each. Be careful if you have a slow connection. Also, these pictures show animals from ZT2, ES, AA, and MM, so they may contain spoilers if you don't have one of these expansion packs yet.

First, a little history.

I rarely take pictures while playing ZT2 the normal way (doing challenges and things like that). However, I love to create habitats for animals and to take pictures of them. I like the pictures to look as though they were taken in the wild. No zoo walls, no food or enrichment objects showing... just beautiful animals in a natural environment. Sometimes I play these habitats, and sometimes I just take pictures and then give away the animals when their needs get low. The Scrub Habitat that you will see here is one of the few habitats that work well enough to play. Some of the animals are second and even third generation!

So, let's get to the pictures!

Scrub Habitat

White Rhino
stopping to smell the flowers
a cool dip
beautiful animal, beautiful scenery

Aardvark
by the water
in the grass
in the grass 2

Asian Elephant
top of the hill

Kangaroo
camouflaged
among the rocks
by the clear pool

Scimitar Horned Oryx
overwhelmed by flowers and grass

Komodo Dragon
very pretty picture
going in the water

Meerkat
two scouts
in the grass
down between the rocks

Galapagos Giant Tortoise
by the waterfall
grassy water's edge
rocky water's edge

Lucky Shot!
rhino, kangaroo, and gerenuk together

Wetlands Habitat

African Buffalo
top of the hill
island of fallen trees

American Beaver
down the hillside

Greater Flamingo
three fluffy chicks

Hippo
among the waterlilies

Tropical Rainforest Habitat

Pygmy Hippo
coming onto shore
can't see the hippos, but it's gorgeous...

Mountain Gorilla
walking at sunset
lots of vegetation

Bengal Tiger
drinking

Javan Rhino
between the rocks

Reef and Tropical Island Habitat
This is another habitat that works great, mostly because there is only one animal living on land. They breed like crazy and I have about fifty of them here.

African Spurred Tortoise
fantastic island, sun shining brightly
amazing colors
close up
half in, half out

Blacktip Reef Shark & Manta Ray
what lurks below the surface

Tundra Habitat
There aren't any very spectacular pictures of this one, since it's kind of flat and white and... blah. But I really like this one, and have had it set as my wallpaper ever since I took it! This was a very lucky shot. I noticed the two walking in oposite directions and caught them right in time. Actually, I thought they were going to fight, which would have made an even better picture. But oh well.

Caribou
magestic

And that's all for the habitats! Or at least the ones I want to share today. I also have a couple of zoo exhibits that I've taken photos of and like the photos enough to share with you. Here they are.

Zoo Exhibits

Przewalski's Wild Horse
very cute horse

Rockhopper Penguin
island at sunset
to the water
passing by

Ratel
grassy habitat

Ethiopian Wolf
two wolves howling
running down the hill

This concludes the show. I hope you enjoyed some of these pictures. Any comments are welcome. If you want any of these as a wallpaper (1024x768), I'd be glad to send them to you if you PM me with your email addy.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:48:28 PM by TaraM »

Offline starstruck_disaster

• Zookeeper
    • http://starstricken-disaste.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »
Wow, those are so beautiful! I love that you put so much foliage into the exhibits and habitats! The tropical island idea is fun; I do that, but with rainforest ground sometimes =)

Simply lovely, though. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread!

Offline Dragonracer24

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:27:06 PM »
:worthy: I bow down to your amazing pics:worthy:

Offline SeaWorldFan2010

• Zookeeper
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
I just LOVE your ideas on habitats.
My favorite is the Rockhopper Penguin Pic with the island.  

Simply put, WOW!

Offline dragon_rider05

• Zookeeper
  • Wolves;You've gotta love 'em!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:55:35 PM »
:surprise: Those are beautiful!!! Your an awesome photographer! (the enviornments must have taken a while to create!:laughing: )

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »
Holy Moly! Absolutely incredible!!! So many of them are so amazing, but I especially like the second pygmy hippo pic. BF did such a fantastic job with sunsets, and you caught it just perfectly. I had to set it as my background! :wub:

Offline TaraM

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm glad you liked them. When I get my desert, coastal, and savannah habitats the way I want them, I'll post pictures of them.

Offline Sk8er at the Disco

• Zookeeper
    • http://www.myspace.com/sk8ter90210
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:18:28 PM »
HOLY FIZZZLE DIZZLE!!!!!! ur zoos are excellent i can't wait to see what your gonna do with the desert, coastal, and savannah habitats

Offline RhinoRapter

• Zookeeper
    • Rhino Gaming
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »
woooooooooooooow those are completly amazing you are by far one of the most datialed exbit makers ever and i love your exibit ideas

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »
I wish I could add to what the others have said - but I will definately second all of them! These are some of the best examples of landscaping and design I have EVER seen. Bravo!

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
ecelent design and picture taking.  what really helps i bet is that those look like high deatial setting.

Offline Crookshankz227

• Game Warden
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 09:02:36 AM »
Those pictures are great TaraM!! I love the island idea, I'm going to have to try it!

Offline beagleboy21

• Zookeeper
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:42 AM »
can i have what lurks below the surface pic, as a 1280 by 1024.  and again, very good pics.

Offline Birdman

• Zookeeper
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »
WOW!!!!! They are stunning!!!!! Great Job!!!!

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »
very beautiful exhibits and stunning detail.  What is your graphic card and the settings on your game.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 10:25:09 AM »
No kidding! I wish my exhibits were that amazing looking! You've got an eye for landscape, for animals in great poses, and for photography - a winning combination!

Offline Ethiopian Wolf

• Zookeeper
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 08:10:14 PM »
Simply beautiful. In all the time I've been a member at this site (not that long) and been watching from afar (about 5 times as long), I've NEVER seen anything like this. You are an artist, pure and simple.

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 09:20:18 PM »
*Jumps out of seat* OMG! Those are amazingly detailed pics! The meerkat pics were the best! I don't know how else to describe these! They're just so great! Awesome job! :specool: :thumbsup: : :) :

Offline hicoolguy

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 10:07:54 PM »
Do you mind telling me how you brought the plants and landscape items so close together.

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 10:36:34 PM »
TaraM, I am speechless. Those pics are fantastic! The scrub ones particularly are stunning!:thumbsup:

Offline TaraM

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »
Quote from: beagleboy21;152925
can i have what lurks below the surface pic, as a 1280 by 1024.  and again, very good pics.

You can get it here http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o16/TaraMalone/wallpaper/BlacktipReefShark1024x768.jpg.

Quote from: RedNotDead;152937
very beautiful exhibits and stunning detail.  What is your graphic card and the settings on your game.

I actually have an old computer that isn't very good. I originally bought it for $650, I think about 4 years ago. It's a Compaq, so it came with the typical specs, AMD Athlon processor (2.1 GHz), 512MB RAM, and of course an integrated video card. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and the video card to a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (256MB). It plays most of my games fine. It lags a bit with large zoos, so I tend to only use small and medium maps. My habitats have no guests or buildings, so they don't usually lag. I can max out all settings (using the "Custom" option), but I rarely play actual zoos with all settings maxed like that.

Quote from: hicoolguy;153111
Do you mind telling me how you brought the plants and landscape items so close together.

There are a few files that have to be changed to make that happen. You know how when you place one object (a tree, shelter, or rock, for example), it won't let you place most other objects? Or, when you place an object like a shelter or rock on top of grass or flowers, they get deleted? Well, the code for that is located in the .xml files that describe the category those objects belong to, not the files for individual objects. It's called "stompData" and is located at the top of the files.

I have a text file with some info to help me remember what needs to be changed when a new expansion pack comes out, and here is what I have in it:

---> CHOOSE ONE

The files you would alter are in \entities\objects\*\ai\ (inside the various folders like x100_000.z2f, depending on which expansion packs you have). For example, for the vegetation you would look under \entities\objects\foliage\ai\ and you would edit the files that are called bush.xml, wildflowers.xml, and so on, not the ones that are for specific vegetation, like AfricanDaisy_Savannah.xml.

You would open each file in Notepad, do a search (actually, it's right at the top, so you could just use your eyes) for , and then replace whatever it says with what I just posted above. Where it says "CHOOSE ONE" I mean that you need to choose one of the objects ( or or whatever), remove it from the long list of objects, and insert it in the place that says CHOOSE ONE. Hope that made sense. Of course, you don't have to include all those objects, you could remove some from that list.

Once you alter all the foliage files, you will be able to place foliage one on top of the other. Then you need to do the same for rocks (look for rock.xml under \entities\objects\rocks\ai\) and shelters (shelters.xml under \entities\objects\shelters\ai\), and food and enrichment objects. Plus any other objects you want, of course.

If you are using the "all moveable / water placeable" hack, some of the files that you will need to edit are inside that!

I also altered some of the objects to have these codes: waterPlacement="true" landPlacement="true" tankPlacement="true". You will be able to do things like put a large ice floe on land. It looks cool. To do this, you would find the .xml file for the object that you want to alter, open it in Notepad, and do a search for , then add those codes right after that. Some of them might already be there, or might be there but with "false" instead of "true." So just watch for that and change them appropriately. Oh, and the Tank one should only be used if you have MM.

I hope that helps someone. I figured out how to hack this ages ago, like when ZT2 first came out. It's been a great help in designing. It just looks much better when you can put some grass or flowers around a rock instead of it sitting in the middle of an empty spot all by itself.

Offline rexy_rox1000

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »
your pictures are so detailed! it makes me wish i could do things like that. all of them look real!

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »
Amazing! If I had the money to put all that stuff into my computer to make my game look like that, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Offline starstruck_disaster

• Zookeeper
    • http://starstricken-disaste.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 01:59:04 PM »
Wow, thank you so much for explaining all that :D That's such a good idea. I hope we'll get to see more pictures soon too. ^^

EDIT: I hope it's alright if I ask you this, but anything between the tags would be unable to be placed on the same tile as the object you're editing, right? Just wanted to clarify. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 02:52:27 PM by starstruck_disaster »

Offline sharada

• Pooper Scooper
    • Out of the Blue Model Horses
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 03:13:29 PM »
I do that too! Glad to know someone else does, too :) Although you're much better than I am!
 It's amazing how you get the pictures to look so lifelike!