Author Topic: To Many Downloads, Panic!  (Read 3149 times)

vivica cherry

To Many Downloads, Panic!
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:31:51 AM »
This morning after seeing the 'alphabetical downloads' thread, I spent an hour or so downloading lots of new things for my game. I've done it all properly. I went to play my game and it gets half way through loading and then turns itself off... I can't seem to get it to work...

Can anyone please advise me??

Offline Melt0s

• Zookeeper
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/Melt0s/
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:34:11 AM »
If Theres nothing you can do. Then Your bes bet is delete ALL downloads and re install. This has never happened to me. You could also do virus checks on each download be4 putting onto ZT.

vivica cherry

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:35:37 AM »
I was going to check them all, but because they were on this forum I thought they would be trustworthy.

Offline Melt0s

• Zookeeper
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 05:36:48 AM »
They Should Be I suppose. But some downloads might carupt. Maybe it would help if you posted every download on this thread. You may be missing some files for a download to work.

vivica cherry

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 05:37:49 AM »
I would post them all... but I've done hundreds. I don't understand why the game wouldn't even come on just because one file might be corrupt.

Offline Melt0s

• Zookeeper
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:39:36 AM »
Well Im not the best with downloads and files etc. I think you should just sit and hold tight for the experts to come. But i have seen a coupel of people with your problem 2. I think they just re installed and got rid of ALL downloads. But if you dont want to take my word for it (and i dont think u shud) wait for the experts.

I think theres a caruption or files missing.

vivica cherry

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 05:40:49 AM »
Ok, I'll wait for others then.

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 06:32:01 AM »
There is a limit on how many downloads you can have in your game. Perhaps that is why it is shutting down - you've downloaded past the limit. I'm not sure though; you may want to wait for the elders on this one  :whistle

Moving to download support

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 08:00:36 AM »
the downloads are checked its because you have
1. too many ztds in your game - read the topic on merging ztd
2. you have too many dlls in your game - use combined ones
3. put too much stuff in your game at once.

vivica cherry

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 11:30:30 AM »
I've managed to sort it out bu re-installing and then re-downloading most of what I had.

Is there a numerical limit to downloads, though? :)

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 11:35:32 AM »
cant remeber off the top of my head but its about 300 ztd and 63 dll will have to check around the forums and post the link when i find it.

ok found a topic about this at ZKL
http://www.lunamanar.com/zklounge/index.ph...t=0&#entry14006

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 02:55:57 PM »
This is the reason we recommend using combined .dll files - ZKL, Zoo Tek, and of course ZA use this wherever possible.  Each of the combined dll's will include a list of the individual .dll's they replace.

As far as the individual downloads, for heavy download users (like me :) ) I strongly recommend combining them wherever possible.  Hope this helps.

Offline genkicoll

• Copa Cabana
  • Zookeeper
  • Dragon Rider
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »
Because there ARE so many wonderful downloads available, I highly recommend sorting your downloads, and only having certain THEMED downloads installed in your game at any given time.  For instance, if you're working on a Winter-themed zoo, only have Winter and Christmas-themed downloads installed while you're working on that zoo.  Keep the other ztd files in a Temporary ZT folder (name of your choice - I use "Updates Temp"), and simply swap them out when you're ready to do a new zoo.  Keep in mind, though, that every time you change the contents of your Updates (or dlupdates) folder, you will need to restart the Zoo Tycoon game so that it will recognize the new items.
If you happen to get into forum contests, I also recommend changing the file name prior to placing them in your updates or dlupdates folder.  As most forums will say, "Zoo Admin downloads only (for example)", you'll need to keep them sorted by site, as well as type.  Some people make separate folders, but it can get confusing if you're wanting to use downloads from several different sites for a zoo you're doing.  What I do is rename all my downloads by site:  ie. "gcSecretGardenPack.ztd" becomes "ZtekSecretGardenPack.ztd" or "ZtekgcSecretGardenPack.ztd", "gcChocoPath.ztd" becomes "ZTUFChocoPath.ztd", "gcTarPath.ztd" becomes "ZATarPath.ztd", and so on. (They all have "gc" at the beginning because the downloads I made are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head ;))  Renaming them this way will allow you to sort them by site in a matter of seconds, and is a HUGE help when you get involved in "THIS site only" contests :D

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 06:45:23 PM »
That is a very good idea Genki...will have to remember that one for when I finally get back home to my desktop.

the total number of ztd files you can have in your game is approximately 360 this number also includes all the ztd files MS has included in the game.

the total number of dll files is 63 which alson includes all the ones MS included.

Sorting - combining- and renaming will take some time but in the end is well worth the effort it will take to accomplish the task.

Jane's lists at all the different sites will come in very useful when you decide to try this. There are a few combining ztd files tutorials at the various sites including one here at ZA.

I also had this problem when I first discovered this site so long ago...lol...went on a 5 hour download spree from all the different sites and tried to add them all to my game at once....game crashed right back to the desktop and would not start up. I had to remove all the downloads and do a fresh game install then took my time and was very selective with what I put in to check out and my game then worked fine.

another note to add......if you do the same thing and your game still crashes to the desktop then you could have a download conflict. At one time not everyone told the other sites what programing numbers they were using when making items like buildings etc so some downloads will conflict with one another every now and then the best way to solve this is to remove all of them and then reinstall them 1 or 2 at a time until you find the one causing the conflict and then just leave it out for that zoo.

maybe some day someone will repair all the ones that conflict so this no longer occurs but that would also be a huge undertaking.

Hope all this information helps you out.

Welcome to ZA

Yellowrose

vivica cherry

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 01:35:56 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your input. I may not be so much of a newbie anymore, but I can tell there are lots of little things to learn and bear in mind. I am starting to do tutorials now also, which I didn't do in the first place and my game is so much more enriched.

I also wasn't aware there were skills to downloading and certain things to look out for. I have a fair few downloads in my game now and though I am not terribly sure about 'combining' I will certainly keep a folder on my desktop to contain specifically themed downloads. It'll be safer that way. The last thing I want to do is have to uninstall my game again and go through everything all over again.

A big thankyou to everyone who replied. I haven't been here long but everyone I have met or spoken to has been very helpful and kind!

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »
As this is an older topic but contains vbaluable information I will close this and Pin it so it is easily found.

:closed