Author Topic: Duplicate LANG Items?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
Duplicate LANG Items?
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »
In an effort to both keep things simple and thwart ZT1's "Lang/DLL" limit, I have been dutifully downloading the various combined LANG files available. In checking out the LANG Files, I've noticed that there are a few buildings that are included in 2 different combined LANGs (even from different sites)  and I was just wondering: Is it okay to have a building/item in more than 1 LANG, or is it a game-crashing thing?

(The instuctions with the different Combined-LANGs always say to remove any individual LANGs, so......)

-ZW

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:44:36 AM »
As a longtime player and user of all combined dll-files, I can say from experience that I have never encountered any problems....
But can you please tell which are duplicated, so we can look into it better.

Offline jbl

• Zookeeper
    • http://users.pandora.be/toolss/ZTSectie
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »
won't cause any problem, except for that the text from in the first file might overwrite the one in the second file

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »
jbl is exactly right.  It won't cause any problems in-game.  I do know there are several that are in the one available from Zoo Keeper's Lounge that are available in ours as well.  There are several reasons for this.  Some of them, Jay helped program.  So we have NO problem at all with them including them as well.  Some of the downloads (or versions of them) are available at both sites.  So to make things easier, we include the info on both versions of the combined files.  We try to work together also to make sure the text is exactly the same.  Hope this helps you.

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »
As the others have mentioned, it will not cause problems to have duplicates and there are many times when the duplicates are desired. I created the combined ".dll" at ZKL before ZA created combined ".dll" files of their own. But it makes sense that if a building/fence is downloaded from here that there be a combined ".dll" file from here containing the building/fence id. Also, in order to not use up the ids faster than necessary, we often use the same id and same message for more than one building/fence/sold item, when it is appropriate. These can often be at different sites, each with their own combined ".dll".

As for removing individual ".dll" files, there are 2 reasons. First, many of the early ".dll" files were made from a modified version of the ingame lang0.dll. That can definitely cause sporadic game crashes for those with expansion packs. So those should not be used. They are easy to spot since they are larger than 1.8 mb in size. The other reason is just so Zoo Tycooners do not hit the ".dll" limit in ZT.

Offline fern

• Zookeeper
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
There are ids by me that appear in more than one sites dll. The waterfall fence one is in the ZA dll for their waterfall fence and the same id is in either the Tek or the fern dll for the different waterfall fence that they have. We used the same id for both these fences. In both cases the messages are the same. That one is also at ZKL for their fence too (not done by me). Mainly it is because not everyone at Tek goes to ZA and vice versa. Or any other site. So the id needs to be where the download is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 07:29:54 PM by fern »

Offline Zirconia Wolf

• Zookeeper
Duplicate LANG Items?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »
Wow- Thanks for the (quick) feed back!

Just to be clear, I wasn't bothered by the fact that a LANG could include items from different sites, but was afarid of the dreaded "Freaked Out Computer Syndrom".

I don't like the dreaded "Freaked Out Computer Syndrom".

Now that I know it's not a problem, WOOHOO!

As far as which things are duplicated, off the top of my head (don't have my print-outs infront of me) I want to say many of the smaller food stands (Pretzels, Cotton Candy, Coffe....) and I remember seeing the Black Pearl on the ZKL Lang aswell as one from here....but if it's not really a problem, WOOHOO (again) !

-ZW