Author Topic: Free-form unlock hack  (Read 7087 times)

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Free-form unlock hack
« on: January 19, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »
Posted by: pixigger Aug. 29 2003, 07:51 PM
Seems to have been some confusion over this lately so as the original creator I thought I'd try to make the whole thing much clearer:

What it does
========

When you start a new freeform game, rather than waiting in 3 month periods for new animals/items to become available, the Unlock makes everything available at the very start of the new game.

This includes things that need to be researched and even Easter Eggs (like the Gold Path).

If you save your game, exit ZT and then reload the game at a later time, everything is still available for use except for the researched items and Easter Eggs.

What it does not do
============

It does not make researchable items available following a reload - if you place a Panda Cave when you first start a zoo, for example, when you reload the game the Panda Cave you placed will still be there but you will only be able to place another one if you have performed the required research.

As it only uses one file that has been edited it is highly unlikely that having the Unlock can cause previously unseen problems. It does not affect the behaviour of either the guests or animals so if you do have problems with the game you should not automatically think the Unlock is causing it  . However, if problems persist and you want to remove the Unlock then at least this is a very simple process - just delete or move the freeformunlock.ztd from your Updates folder.

It does not affect scenarios in any way unless the scenarios have been written to use it (to date none have!).

Conclusion
=======

I originally made the Unlock to redress what I saw as an imbalance in the freeform game - most other games call this mode Sandbox and with the exception of things that have to be researched, everything is available at the start - I couldn't really understand why the 3-monthly waiting periods had been put in.

It is (historically) the most downloaded and stable of all the Hacks and is useful enough to be one of the few allowed by ZA in competitions.

If you haven't used it but get fed up with the waiting then you really should download it.

Finally, it was the experimentation of a TycRes member named Slink into making the Yellow Brick Road available that led on to the Freeform Unlock but sadly she hasn't been in the ZT community for some time. It is her who deserves the credit  .  

Posted by: Loewenfrau Aug. 29 2003, 10:26 PM
Thank you, Pixigger for summarizing that for us

I'll move and pin that in the Downloads support forum.  

Posted by: Zoogrammy Sep. 22 2003, 11:38 AM
I have recently discovered that if you have ZTCC, that the freeform unlock does not work on the Nocturnal House and it still must be researched to be available. I went through re-install, system restore and deleting dls before I decided to just try and research without the unlock and see what happens. It was the last animal building to come up. I plan on putting the unlock back in the game now that I know what is going on. I hope this helps someone else as if I had known this, I would have saved myself a lot of time.  

Posted by: sheila77 Sep. 22 2003, 12:32 PM
Yes, I just noticed that last night, Zoogrammy. I was wondering why I didn't have it right away and then I realized it has to be researched. It was baffling at first, though, why it wasn't showing up.  

Posted by: casey Sep. 22 2003, 02:48 PM
If I remember correctly, the freeform unlock has not yet been updated for ZTCC. Therefore, it does not work for the ZTCC objects and buildings (yet)  

Posted by: pixigger Sep. 22 2003, 06:36 PM
 - just answered this one at ZK Lounge!

The Nocturnal House is the only thing in CC that is not available on startup so when Loewenfrau and I discussed this we'd decided that to update the unlock for a single item was overdoing things  

However, having seen how good the NH is I will be updating the freeform unlock shortly to include it  .  

Posted by: Eagle One Sep. 22 2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks for doing this pixigger  

Posted by: Cheeky Tutti Sep. 25 2003, 10:25 AM
Pixigger, I never knew you invented that! I've got it and its brilliant! Well done to you!      

Posted by: pixigger Sep. 25 2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks, Cheeky Tutti, but like I said in the original post it was Slink who hit on the correct process with the Gold Path - all I did was add everything else  .

I have amended it to include the Nocturnal House but I sent it with my Competition entry so I think it may have been overlooked. The 'problem' is that because I created the original and Loewenfrau updated it for MM we are both correctly listed as co-authors and as such I cannot submit it by myself  .

I'm sure it will turn up...  

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 2 2003, 02:32 PM

If you save your game, exit ZT and then reload the game at a later time, everything is still available for use except for the researched items and Easter Eggs.

If you add a line to the Everything goal it will make the reloading of a saved game problem go away.

add " type=0 "

[EVERYTHING]
;Items available at the beginning of the game.
rulea=7
ruleb=2
value=0
text=17700
trulea=7
truleb=0
targa=1000
hidden=0
sticky=0
type=0

Posted by: pixigger Oct. 2 2003, 06:24 PM
If you add a line to the Everything goal it will make the reloading of a saved game problem go away.

add " type=0 "

[EVERYTHING]
rulea=7
ruleb=2
value=0
text=17700
trulea=7
truleb=0
targa=1000
hidden=0
sticky=0
type=0

Interesting theory - have you tested it?

No matter because I will and if you're right (logically it works for me  ) then we may have to list sonofbron as co-co-author  .  

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 9 2003, 07:21 AM

I tested it on my system and it worked fine for me. I have ZT:CC.

Edit: Actually it does not completely work, Easter Eggs stay researched Items do not.  

Posted by: pixigger Oct. 9 2003, 07:19 PM
So unfortunately no difference to the normal freeform unlock  .

Still, a good attempt  .

Plus the CC version is also now available from Downloads > Utilities/Hacks  

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 13 2003, 07:26 AM
I have modified my version of the Freeform unlock, and now I have it so that everything stays even when reloading a saved game.

Posted by: Penguino Oct. 13 2003, 08:35 AM
 How did you do that?  

Posted by: Babysealz010 Oct. 13 2003, 04:57 PM
This is a great hack! normaly, I don't use hacks but this one is so handy that I'm keeping it!!    

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 14 2003, 07:24 AM
The researched items needed to be unlocked in order to stay, I simply unlocked them using the trigger rules.

The only catch is that once they are unlocked they are unlocked for every game, including scenarios. They can be relocked by removing the FreeformUnlock.ztd and then modifying the Zoo.ini.

I don't mind this because I have finished all of the scenarios, except for the new ones that I create for myself.

Posted by: wbfd817 Jan. 12 2004, 11:05 AM
Ok, just a couple of questions/points here. I just reDLed the Freeform unlock for ZTCC. First, in the readme file, it still says that it should go in the Updates folder, not the DLUpdates folder. Is this correct? Secondly, I wish someone had had the forsight to rename the file from MMfreeform to ZTCCfreeform, as many of my saved DLs are by version. Any chance of doing this? Or is it safe to simply rename the ZIP myself?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jan. 12 2004, 07:49 PM
I think it's safe to rename it to ZTCCfreeform yourself.

The downloads can go in Updates OR dlUpdates, but it's prefered the dlUpdates because it keeps things more organized and the CP doesn't get confused from too many files in one folder.  

Posted by: wbfd817 Jan. 14 2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the reply, which was a confirmation of what I thought I knew  but since I'm far from being anything resembling a programmer, I thought I'd better ask  Now that we've established that, why doesn't someone who knows what they're doing make the two amendments to the posted DL, so no one else has to ask?  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jan. 14 2004, 02:42 AM
I will bring this thread to Loewenfrau's attention  

Posted by: Loewenfrau Jan. 14 2004, 06:46 AM
yright, you can renmae the ZTD to anything you want.

I'll change the name in the DL ASAP.  

Posted by: Kless Feb. 2 2004, 09:51 PM
I had the hack on my old game and now after I redownloaded it doesn't work. I don't have cc, is that why? And what is a nocturnal horse?  

Posted by: komodo007 May. 20 2004, 01:10 PM
I downloaded the MM unlock which it said to be cc compatible also in the download description on ZA however When I started on basic grass map large, I noticed that a few things were missing. firstly the javan rhino and secondly the orangutan and it's toys. Can you please help  

Posted by: Aussie Koala May. 20 2004, 10:53 PM
Please tell us what folder you put the unlock in  I have cc and do not have this problem.

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 21 2004, 08:45 AM
Does Freeform Unlock affect the value of cash awards? Something has been doubling the cash in my awards lately.

I'm not complaining, mind you. And I can imagine Freeform Unlock enabling some Easter egg with that effect. I'm just wondering what's going on. And I don't want to get in trouble with the May contest if my cash is doing things it isn't suppose to.  

Posted by: Penguino May. 22 2004, 06:58 AM
It shouldn't. I have the freeform unlock and my awards stay the same. Are you using any other user-created downloads?  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 22 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't have any other downloads installed right now.

Well, this is definitely odd.  

Posted by: Eagle One May. 22 2004, 07:16 PM
are you sure you dont have any other hacks downloaded or are you using one of the rare trainers for zoo tycoon out on the net  

Posted by: Aussie Koala May. 22 2004, 11:11 PM
There has been a reported glitch with the Best zoo award doing this- but i have not heard it for the other awards.

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 23 2004, 01:42 PM
I don't have anything else downloaded, just Blue Fang animals off the MS website, and the MM Freeform unlock. I just reinstalled ZT this week (ZT disk and then MM disk), and was being really careful which downloads I put in until after I got my contest zoo done.

Too bad I wasn't making a list of which awards it affected. My mind was on other things at the time, and I thought it was probably a well- known- to- everyone- else effect. Most of my cash awards were doubled. Some of them weren't. When I got the "pair" of Emperor Penguins donated (for exhibiting other arctic animals), I actually ended up with 4 donated penguins!

Next time I'll take better notes.

Well, if my zoo does well in the contest, AK will have to decide whether it is a disqualification or not. [Sigh.]  

Posted by: Penguino May. 25 2004, 08:11 AM
I think something is causing the award bonuses to be executed twice, thus doubling all the bonuses. What we've to figure out is, what is that something?  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 25 2004, 08:57 AM
Right. How do we figure that out?

Posted by: Penguino May. 26 2004, 07:21 AM
If you have another computer, or have a friend that will let you use theirs for a while, try installing your ZT there and see whether you still have the problem. That's all I could think of right now...  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 27 2004, 01:20 PM
OK, did that. Short version -- the problem is repeatable.

I installed ZT on my husband's office computer, (His is running Windows NT; the computer I usually use runs WIndows ME). This is with MM, all the Blue Fang animals I am aware of, and the MM Freeform Unlock. I reproduced, as near as I could, the zoo I was working on. And this time I recorded all the awards that give bonuses.

January:..Superior Whale Care....nominal $20,000..actual $40,000
................Shark Conservation...............$10,000............$20,000
February:Zoo of the Year.....................$150,000...........$300,000
...............Diverse Species Gold...............$30,000.............$30,000
...............Quality Dino Care....................$50,000.............$50,000
April.......Highest Quality Exhibits Gold....$40,000..............$40,000
..............Highest Customer Satisfaction..$25,000.............$25,000
June:.....Arctic Aquatic Care.............1 pair penguins.....2 pair penguins

The second pair of penguins, in their crates, did not show up until I had moved the first pair into their pen. This supports the idea that the award is being given twice.

July.......Birth of an endangered animal..$10,000........$10,000
October.Birth of an endangered animal..$10,000........$10,000

March 02..These three happened in rapid sucession. I'm pretty sure each one triggered the next.
.................Most Popular Zoo (1000 guests)......$25,000...........$25,000
................Best Zoo in the World (15 awards).$100,000.........$200,000
...............................................................+ 1 baby panda...+2 baby pandas
................Birth of a baby panda.................nominally brings donations for the month up to $50,000
................................................................actually, donated $50,000 even though March donations were way above that already
The baby panda was not "born", it was the second donated panda. You can tell it was donated because it was in a crate!

...............Birth of an endangered animal........$10,000...............$10,000

I still don't know what it all means.  

Posted by: Penguino May. 28 2004, 07:26 AM
Well then, I'm completely stumped. Maybe someone else can help you.  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 4 2004, 10:40 PM
Hi. Pixigger, i need help getting the freeform unlock to work because for some reason it is not working for me. i downloaded it into my pictures, unzipped it and put the .ztd file into my updates folder and it isn't working. any ideas. thanks.  

Posted by: komodo007 Jun. 5 2004, 11:32 AM
wolverine---->>I am not a download expert but have you tryed putting the .ztd into the duupdate folder( It is in the ZT directory same as the updates) instead of the updates folder.  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 5 2004, 09:47 PM
I will tell you all what i did. I downloaded the freeform unlock for all game versions. the file name i think was mmfreeformunlcok.zip. i saved it in my pictures. then i double clicked on it and it unzipped it. then i placed the mmfreeformunclock.ztd file into my zoo tycoon updates file. what is wrong??? Help!!!!!!! Thanks  

Posted by: pixel Jun. 5 2004, 10:28 PM
The .ztd file should be put into your dlupdates folder  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 5 2004, 10:31 PM
dlupdates folder? Isn't this the write location? C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\Updates because that is where it is at right now. tell me if i am wrong!! thanks  

Posted by: bielski Jun. 6 2004, 01:22 AM
No, Wolverine, like Pixel and Komodo007 already pointed out it should go in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\dlupdate  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 11:26 AM
I can't find that location  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 06:54 PM
sorry about double posting but i can't find that location. isn't updates the same as dlupdates?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 07:29 PM
Updates sometimes works for some people, but since it doesn't for you, you'd put it in dlupdates. Most people prefer dlupdates. dlupdates should be in the same folder as Updates, not IN Updates.

Try clicking Start on lower left corner, Run, then type in the location and press enter.

What game version do you have?  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 07:39 PM
I have the version Zoo Tycoon. the run thing didn't work. i will tell you what things i have in the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon i have updates, ztats, saved games, screenshots, maps, loc, ect. but no dlupdates.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 6 2004, 07:48 PM
If you do not have complete collection your will not have a dlupdates folder Putting it in your updates folder should work. It will not work on saved games or scenarios- only on new games started in freeform mode.

If you are only talking about when you start a freeform game, please tell us your ZT version and whcih items are not unlocked for you?

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 07:56 PM
I have the version Zoo Tycoon. I just get the items that you are supposed to have before the 3 month period. What is wrong with the unlock?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 07:57 PM
ARe you sure it's in Freeform mode?

I think AK meant the number on the lower right of the main menu in the game.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 6 2004, 07:59 PM
Not everything becomes unlocked in 3 months and can you please answer my questions in order for us to help you. There is nothing wrong with the unlock, every body else uses it successfully.

Please list all the items that you are not getting with the unlock installed in your updates folder

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 08:00 PM
o sorry, the version number is 10.10.00.0006
i am gonna edit this post again in a couple of min. so check back in 10 minutes or so.

all items not getting.

Asian Black Bear
Asian Elephant
Black Buck
Bongo
Fancy Buildings
Magnet-polar bear
Mountain Lion
Reindeer
scn17
scn18
US Flag
Wild Dog

Are themes free? like na theme?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 09:34 PM
You have to downloads those items from http://www.zootycoon.com  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 10:14 PM
Those are the items i am not getting with the unlock. there might be more but those are the ones that were in my updates folder, ak. Do you know why it isn't working?  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 7 2004, 12:41 AM
Right- now you gave us the information we can help you  As flamethower said- you have to download them and put them in your game first. Download and install the from this site or the officiial site and you wont have any more problems.

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 09:11 AM
so let me get this straight. download the items i listed from this site or the zoo tycoon site? then what? i already have the items i listed in the updates folder before i installed them again. they just wouldn't work.
1more question. are themes free?like na theme. thanks  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 7 2004, 04:05 PM
See the installing downloads thread pinned above. Some have two files- a dll file that needs to go in your main folder. The scenarios also have zoo files that need to go in your maps folder.

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 04:15 PM
still don't know what is wrong because there is no dll file. i downloaded the unlock, unzipped it to my updates file. have any other ideas or tell me step by step how to do it from the beginning. thanks for everyones help  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry for double posting but ak do u have any ideas? i downloaded yr's object pack2 and i went into a freeform game and those items showed up. the other ones i have been trying to get don't. any ideas? thanks.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Jun. 7 2004, 04:43 PM
just a quick note which freeform unlock did you download there are 2 available here you need to get the earlier version if you just have ZT you need to get the one located http://zoo.ogresnet.com/downloads/db/?mod=364  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 05:42 PM
K, everyone it works now. thanks for everybody's help and patience. gotta go bye. be back later.  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 09:03 AM

I downloaded the unlock yesterday and I am having the exact same problems as Wolverine. I even went to the thread where a new download for the unlockkey was given for those who only have the Zoo Tycoon game, nada it still won't work. What am I doing wrong.
I download it to my updates folder, I do not have a dlupdates folder. I did create a dlupdates folder in the main folder but it did not help the problem so I moved all the ztd. files back to my updates folder.
Can anyone help with this problem?  

Posted by: zoomama Jul. 28 2004, 10:15 AM
So did you get the earliest version of the freeform unlock for just ZT --- and did you put the dll file in your main zt folder and the other file in the update folder?  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 01:40 PM
Page four of this thread has a post from Cours de Lions which talks about an older version of the hack to use with the plain ZT install (no expansions) and provides a link to said hack. This is what I have downloaded and placed into my 'updates' folder. It did not contain a .dll file, only the one unlock file. I suspected that the link provided by 'Cours' led me to the more recent hack instead of the older one as promised and, since this file does not work and in fact does not contain a .dll as you have described, it may well be that the one I downloaded using 'Cours' link is not the one I need. If you have a link to the proper hack version or know where I can get it please let me know and I wil try it out ASAP! Thanks for the help!  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 07:18 PM

I'm happy to report my problem has been fixed. The reason the unlock hack wouldn't work in my case is the game needed to be updated to the latest version of ZT. Thanks for all help given

stevo22222

Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 02:13:20 PM »
Hey sorry, i have had exactly the same problem as the two people above....i cannot find the earlier version of the hack with the dll file in it and so have tried to update my version to 10.9 in order to make it compatible with the newer version of the hack but it is saying insert the update cd into the drive.... which i dont have?! i dont get whats going on and would appreciate some help please
cheers

stevo22222

Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:29:08 PM »
whoops sorry bout that i got 10.9 to work by checking out the help on the microsoft page. Now the hack works fine...nice job...thanks anyway people

Offline casey

• Administrator
  • Marine Biologist
Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »
Posted by: pixigger Aug. 29 2003, 07:51 PM
Seems to have been some confusion over this lately so as the original creator I thought I'd try to make the whole thing much clearer:

What it does
========

When you start a new freeform game, rather than waiting in 3 month periods for new animals/items to become available, the Unlock makes everything available at the very start of the new game.

This includes things that need to be researched and even Easter Eggs (like the Gold Path).

What it does not do
============

It does not make researchable items available following a reload - if you place a Panda Cave when you first start a zoo, for example, when you reload the game the Panda Cave you placed will still be there but you will only be able to place another one if you have performed the required research.

As it only uses one file that has been edited it is highly unlikely that having the Unlock can cause previously unseen problems. It does not affect the behaviour of either the guests or animals so if you do have problems with the game you should not automatically think the Unlock is causing it  . However, if problems persist and you want to remove the Unlock then at least this is a very simple process - just delete or move the freeformunlock.ztd from your Updates folder.

It does not affect scenarios in any way unless the scenarios have been written to use it (to date none have!).

Conclusion
=======

I originally made the Unlock to redress what I saw as an imbalance in the freeform game - most other games call this mode Sandbox and with the exception of things that have to be researched, everything is available at the start - I couldn't really understand why the 3-monthly waiting periods had been put in.

It is (historically) the most downloaded and stable of all the Hacks and is useful enough to be one of the few allowed by ZA in competitions.

If you haven't used it but get fed up with the waiting then you really should download it.

Finally, it was the experimentation of a TycRes member named Slink into making the Yellow Brick Road available that led on to the Freeform Unlock but sadly she hasn't been in the ZT community for some time. It is her who deserves the credit  .  

Posted by: Loewenfrau Aug. 29 2003, 10:26 PM
Thank you, Pixigger for summarizing that for us

I'll move and pin that in the Downloads support forum.  

Posted by: Zoogrammy Sep. 22 2003, 11:38 AM
I have recently discovered that if you have ZTCC, that the freeform unlock does not work on the Nocturnal House and it still must be researched to be available. I went through re-install, system restore and deleting dls before I decided to just try and research without the unlock and see what happens. It was the last animal building to come up. I plan on putting the unlock back in the game now that I know what is going on. I hope this helps someone else as if I had known this, I would have saved myself a lot of time.  

Posted by: sheila77 Sep. 22 2003, 12:32 PM
Yes, I just noticed that last night, Zoogrammy. I was wondering why I didn't have it right away and then I realized it has to be researched. It was baffling at first, though, why it wasn't showing up.  

Posted by: casey Sep. 22 2003, 02:48 PM
If I remember correctly, the freeform unlock has not yet been updated for ZTCC. Therefore, it does not work for the ZTCC objects and buildings (yet)  

Posted by: pixigger Sep. 22 2003, 06:36 PM
 - just answered this one at ZK Lounge!

The Nocturnal House is the only thing in CC that is not available on startup so when Loewenfrau and I discussed this we'd decided that to update the unlock for a single item was overdoing things  

However, having seen how good the NH is I will be updating the freeform unlock shortly to include it  .  

Posted by: Eagle One Sep. 22 2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks for doing this pixigger  

Posted by: Cheeky Tutti Sep. 25 2003, 10:25 AM
Pixigger, I never knew you invented that! I've got it and its brilliant! Well done to you!      

Posted by: pixigger Sep. 25 2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks, Cheeky Tutti, but like I said in the original post it was Slink who hit on the correct process with the Gold Path - all I did was add everything else  .

I have amended it to include the Nocturnal House but I sent it with my Competition entry so I think it may have been overlooked. The 'problem' is that because I created the original and Loewenfrau updated it for MM we are both correctly listed as co-authors and as such I cannot submit it by myself  .

I'm sure it will turn up...  

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 2 2003, 02:32 PM

add " type=0 "

[EVERYTHING]
rulea=7
ruleb=2
value=0
text=17700
trulea=7
truleb=0
targa=1000
hidden=0
sticky=0
type=0

Posted by: pixigger Oct. 2 2003, 06:24 PM

add " type=0 "

[EVERYTHING]
rulea=7
ruleb=2
value=0
text=17700
trulea=7
truleb=0
targa=1000
hidden=0
sticky=0
type=0

No matter because I will and if you're right (logically it works for me  ) then we may have to list sonofbron as co-co-author  .  

Posted by: sonofbron Oct. 9 2003, 07:21 AM

I tested it on my system and it worked fine for me. I have ZT:CC.

Edit: Actually it does not completely work, Easter Eggs stay researched Items do not.  

Posted by: pixigger Oct. 9 2003, 07:19 PM
So unfortunately no difference to the normal freeform unlock  .

Still, a good attempt  .

Plus the CC version is also now available from Downloads > Utilities/Hacks  

I have modified my version of the Freeform unlock, and now I have it so that everything stays even when reloading a saved game.

How did you do that?  

Posted by: Babysealz010 Oct. 13 2003, 04:57 PM
This is a great hack! normaly, I don't use hacks but this one is so handy that I'm keeping it!!    

The researched items needed to be unlocked in order to stay, I simply unlocked them using the trigger rules.

The only catch is that once they are unlocked they are unlocked for every game, including scenarios. They can be relocked by removing the FreeformUnlock.ztd and then modifying the Zoo.ini.

I don't mind this because I have finished all of the scenarios, except for the new ones that I create for myself.

Posted by: wbfd817 Jan. 12 2004, 11:05 AM
Ok, just a couple of questions/points here. I just reDLed the Freeform unlock for ZTCC. First, in the readme file, it still says that it should go in the Updates folder, not the DLUpdates folder. Is this correct? Secondly, I wish someone had had the forsight to rename the file from MMfreeform to ZTCCfreeform, as many of my saved DLs are by version. Any chance of doing this? Or is it safe to simply rename the ZIP myself?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jan. 12 2004, 07:49 PM
I think it's safe to rename it to ZTCCfreeform yourself.

The downloads can go in Updates OR dlUpdates, but it's prefered the dlUpdates because it keeps things more organized and the CP doesn't get confused from too many files in one folder.  

Posted by: wbfd817 Jan. 14 2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the reply, which was a confirmation of what I thought I knew  but since I'm far from being anything resembling a programmer, I thought I'd better ask  Now that we've established that, why doesn't someone who knows what they're doing make the two amendments to the posted DL, so no one else has to ask?  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jan. 14 2004, 02:42 AM
I will bring this thread to Loewenfrau's attention  

Posted by: Loewenfrau Jan. 14 2004, 06:46 AM
yright, you can renmae the ZTD to anything you want.

I'll change the name in the DL ASAP.  

Posted by: Kless Feb. 2 2004, 09:51 PM
I had the hack on my old game and now after I redownloaded it doesn't work. I don't have cc, is that why? And what is a nocturnal horse?  

Posted by: komodo007 May. 20 2004, 01:10 PM
I downloaded the MM unlock which it said to be cc compatible also in the download description on ZA however When I started on basic grass map large, I noticed that a few things were missing. firstly the javan rhino and secondly the orangutan and it's toys. Can you please help  

Posted by: Aussie Koala May. 20 2004, 10:53 PM
Please tell us what folder you put the unlock in  I have cc and do not have this problem.

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 21 2004, 08:45 AM
Does Freeform Unlock affect the value of cash awards? Something has been doubling the cash in my awards lately.

I'm not complaining, mind you. And I can imagine Freeform Unlock enabling some Easter egg with that effect. I'm just wondering what's going on. And I don't want to get in trouble with the May contest if my cash is doing things it isn't suppose to.  

Posted by: Penguino May. 22 2004, 06:58 AM
It shouldn't. I have the freeform unlock and my awards stay the same. Are you using any other user-created downloads?  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 22 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't have any other downloads installed right now.

Well, this is definitely odd.  

Posted by: Eagle One May. 22 2004, 07:16 PM
are you sure you dont have any other hacks downloaded or are you using one of the rare trainers for zoo tycoon out on the net  

Posted by: Aussie Koala May. 22 2004, 11:11 PM
There has been a reported glitch with the Best zoo award doing this- but i have not heard it for the other awards.

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 23 2004, 01:42 PM
I don't have anything else downloaded, just Blue Fang animals off the MS website, and the MM Freeform unlock. I just reinstalled ZT this week (ZT disk and then MM disk), and was being really careful which downloads I put in until after I got my contest zoo done.

Too bad I wasn't making a list of which awards it affected. My mind was on other things at the time, and I thought it was probably a well- known- to- everyone- else effect. Most of my cash awards were doubled. Some of them weren't. When I got the "pair" of Emperor Penguins donated (for exhibiting other arctic animals), I actually ended up with 4 donated penguins!

Next time I'll take better notes.

Well, if my zoo does well in the contest, AK will have to decide whether it is a disqualification or not. [Sigh.]  

Posted by: Penguino May. 25 2004, 08:11 AM
I think something is causing the award bonuses to be executed twice, thus doubling all the bonuses. What we've to figure out is, what is that something?  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 25 2004, 08:57 AM
Right. How do we figure that out?

Posted by: Penguino May. 26 2004, 07:21 AM
If you have another computer, or have a friend that will let you use theirs for a while, try installing your ZT there and see whether you still have the problem. That's all I could think of right now...  

Posted by: Nepenthe May. 27 2004, 01:20 PM
OK, did that. Short version -- the problem is repeatable.

I installed ZT on my husband's office computer, (His is running Windows NT; the computer I usually use runs WIndows ME). This is with MM, all the Blue Fang animals I am aware of, and the MM Freeform Unlock. I reproduced, as near as I could, the zoo I was working on. And this time I recorded all the awards that give bonuses.

January:..Superior Whale Care....nominal $20,000..actual $40,000
................Shark Conservation...............$10,000............$20,000
February:Zoo of the Year.....................$150,000...........$300,000
...............Diverse Species Gold...............$30,000.............$30,000
...............Quality Dino Care....................$50,000.............$50,000
April.......Highest Quality Exhibits Gold....$40,000..............$40,000
..............Highest Customer Satisfaction..$25,000.............$25,000
June:.....Arctic Aquatic Care.............1 pair penguins.....2 pair penguins

The second pair of penguins, in their crates, did not show up until I had moved the first pair into their pen. This supports the idea that the award is being given twice.

July.......Birth of an endangered animal..$10,000........$10,000
October.Birth of an endangered animal..$10,000........$10,000

March 02..These three happened in rapid sucession. I'm pretty sure each one triggered the next.
.................Most Popular Zoo (1000 guests)......$25,000...........$25,000
................Best Zoo in the World (15 awards).$100,000.........$200,000
...............................................................+ 1 baby panda...+2 baby pandas
................Birth of a baby panda.................nominally brings donations for the month up to $50,000
................................................................actually, donated $50,000 even though March donations were way above that already
The baby panda was not "born", it was the second donated panda. You can tell it was donated because it was in a crate!

...............Birth of an endangered animal........$10,000...............$10,000

I still don't know what it all means.  

Posted by: Penguino May. 28 2004, 07:26 AM
Well then, I'm completely stumped. Maybe someone else can help you.  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 4 2004, 10:40 PM
Hi. Pixigger, i need help getting the freeform unlock to work because for some reason it is not working for me. i downloaded it into my pictures, unzipped it and put the .ztd file into my updates folder and it isn't working. any ideas. thanks.  

Posted by: komodo007 Jun. 5 2004, 11:32 AM
wolverine---->>I am not a download expert but have you tryed putting the .ztd into the duupdate folder( It is in the ZT directory same as the updates) instead of the updates folder.  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 5 2004, 09:47 PM
I will tell you all what i did. I downloaded the freeform unlock for all game versions. the file name i think was mmfreeformunlcok.zip. i saved it in my pictures. then i double clicked on it and it unzipped it. then i placed the mmfreeformunclock.ztd file into my zoo tycoon updates file. what is wrong??? Help!!!!!!! Thanks  

Posted by: pixel Jun. 5 2004, 10:28 PM
The .ztd file should be put into your dlupdates folder  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 5 2004, 10:31 PM
dlupdates folder? Isn't this the write location? C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\Updates because that is where it is at right now. tell me if i am wrong!! thanks  

Posted by: bielski Jun. 6 2004, 01:22 AM
No, Wolverine, like Pixel and Komodo007 already pointed out it should go in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon\dlupdate  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 11:26 AM
I can't find that location  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 06:54 PM
sorry about double posting but i can't find that location. isn't updates the same as dlupdates?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 07:29 PM
Updates sometimes works for some people, but since it doesn't for you, you'd put it in dlupdates. Most people prefer dlupdates. dlupdates should be in the same folder as Updates, not IN Updates.

Try clicking Start on lower left corner, Run, then type in the location and press enter.

What game version do you have?  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 07:39 PM
I have the version Zoo Tycoon. the run thing didn't work. i will tell you what things i have in the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon i have updates, ztats, saved games, screenshots, maps, loc, ect. but no dlupdates.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 6 2004, 07:48 PM
If you do not have complete collection your will not have a dlupdates folder Putting it in your updates folder should work. It will not work on saved games or scenarios- only on new games started in freeform mode.

If you are only talking about when you start a freeform game, please tell us your ZT version and whcih items are not unlocked for you?

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 07:56 PM
I have the version Zoo Tycoon. I just get the items that you are supposed to have before the 3 month period. What is wrong with the unlock?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 07:57 PM
ARe you sure it's in Freeform mode?

I think AK meant the number on the lower right of the main menu in the game.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 6 2004, 07:59 PM
Not everything becomes unlocked in 3 months and can you please answer my questions in order for us to help you. There is nothing wrong with the unlock, every body else uses it successfully.

Please list all the items that you are not getting with the unlock installed in your updates folder

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 08:00 PM
o sorry, the version number is 10.10.00.0006
i am gonna edit this post again in a couple of min. so check back in 10 minutes or so.

all items not getting.

Asian Black Bear
Asian Elephant
Black Buck
Bongo
Fancy Buildings
Magnet-polar bear
Mountain Lion
Reindeer
scn17
scn18
US Flag
Wild Dog

Are themes free? like na theme?  

Posted by: flamethrower Jun. 6 2004, 09:34 PM
You have to downloads those items from http://www.zootycoon.com  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 6 2004, 10:14 PM
Those are the items i am not getting with the unlock. there might be more but those are the ones that were in my updates folder, ak. Do you know why it isn't working?  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 7 2004, 12:41 AM
Right- now you gave us the information we can help you  As flamethower said- you have to download them and put them in your game first. Download and install the from this site or the officiial site and you wont have any more problems.

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 09:11 AM
so let me get this straight. download the items i listed from this site or the zoo tycoon site? then what? i already have the items i listed in the updates folder before i installed them again. they just wouldn't work.
1more question. are themes free?like na theme. thanks  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Jun. 7 2004, 04:05 PM
See the installing downloads thread pinned above. Some have two files- a dll file that needs to go in your main folder. The scenarios also have zoo files that need to go in your maps folder.

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 04:15 PM
still don't know what is wrong because there is no dll file. i downloaded the unlock, unzipped it to my updates file. have any other ideas or tell me step by step how to do it from the beginning. thanks for everyones help  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry for double posting but ak do u have any ideas? i downloaded yr's object pack2 and i went into a freeform game and those items showed up. the other ones i have been trying to get don't. any ideas? thanks.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Jun. 7 2004, 04:43 PM
just a quick note which freeform unlock did you download there are 2 available here you need to get the earlier version if you just have ZT you need to get the one located http://zoo.ogresnet.com/downloads/db/?mod=364  

Posted by: Wolverine Jun. 7 2004, 05:42 PM
K, everyone it works now. thanks for everybody's help and patience. gotta go bye. be back later.  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 09:03 AM

I downloaded the unlock yesterday and I am having the exact same problems as Wolverine. I even went to the thread where a new download for the unlockkey was given for those who only have the Zoo Tycoon game, nada it still won't work. What am I doing wrong.
I download it to my updates folder, I do not have a dlupdates folder. I did create a dlupdates folder in the main folder but it did not help the problem so I moved all the ztd. files back to my updates folder.
Can anyone help with this problem?  

Posted by: zoomama Jul. 28 2004, 10:15 AM
So did you get the earliest version of the freeform unlock for just ZT --- and did you put the dll file in your main zt folder and the other file in the update folder?  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 01:40 PM
Page four of this thread has a post from Cours de Lions which talks about an older version of the hack to use with the plain ZT install (no expansions) and provides a link to said hack. This is what I have downloaded and placed into my 'updates' folder. It did not contain a .dll file, only the one unlock file. I suspected that the link provided by 'Cours' led me to the more recent hack instead of the older one as promised and, since this file does not work and in fact does not contain a .dll as you have described, it may well be that the one I downloaded using 'Cours' link is not the one I need. If you have a link to the proper hack version or know where I can get it please let me know and I wil try it out ASAP! Thanks for the help!  

Posted by: PepsiDawne Jul. 28 2004, 07:18 PM

I'm happy to report my problem has been fixed. The reason the unlock hack wouldn't work in my case is the game needed to be updated to the latest version of ZT. Thanks for all help given

stevo22222

Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 02:13:20 PM »
Hey sorry, i have had exactly the same problem as the two people above....i cannot find the earlier version of the hack with the dll file in it and so have tried to update my version to 10.9 in order to make it compatible with the newer version of the hack but it is saying insert the update cd into the drive.... which i dont have?! i dont get whats going on and would appreciate some help please
cheers

stevo22222

Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 02:29:08 PM »
whoops sorry bout that i got 10.9 to work by checking out the help on the microsoft page. Now the hack works fine...nice job...thanks anyway people

Offline TRIFORCE89

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://s4.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_GameNews/index.php?act=idx
Free-form unlock hack
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »

How did you do that?

Can anyone explain that to me? What's unlocking by the trigger rules/how do you do that? Thanks.