Author Topic: Still Need Help With Unzipping A File  (Read 1474 times)

Offline zootycoonfan16

• Pooper Scooper
Still Need Help With Unzipping A File
« on: December 13, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »
:angry I want to download an animal but it's zippped. How do you UNZIP? :angry

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 08:50:07 PM »
Well, ignoring your use of profanity, :><  you need to have a program called WinZip, which you can download for free from many sites. That will solve the problem.

Offline zootycoonfan16

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 09:07:55 PM »
K so how do I unzip in WinZip. Please give me step by step instructions.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:21:18 PM »
Well, after you download and iinstall WinZip, it will ask you if you want to use Clasic or Wizard mode. Just tell it Wizard mode and that's it. Then click on / open your downloaded file (e.g. maned wolf) and the WinZip menu will offer an option called 'Extract'. Extract both files (the .dl file and the zoo tycoon 2 file) to your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2  folder.

That's it. Then when you start your game, the download (whether an animal or object) will be visible. Hope that helps you.

Offline zootycoonfan16

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »
Thank you so much. You don't even know how that helped. Also do I save the file to WinZip? (When it asks you to save or open file) Also is there a free unzipper because WinZip isn't free?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:33:37 PM »
Well, you can get an older version of it (for free) at http://www.tucows.com or at this site. I'm using a version from 2 years ago, and they all work just fine if all you're trying to do is UNZIP a file. It's kind of the 'industry standard'. And the only thing you have to worry about is the thing that says "Open".

It may give you 'nag' notices, but don't worry about them. It'll still work.

Offline zootycoonfan16

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »
Thanks but what is this "Open" thing. Sorry its just that I wana be sure that i'm doing everything right.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:57:25 PM »
It means "Open This File With WinZip". But, once you HAVE WinZip, all you need to do is either click or double click (depending on how your computer is set up) ON the file itself, and it will open by itself, using the installed WinZip.

I just realized you may be talking about the WinZip installation! If so, just click on that downloaded WinZip file (I think it's called something like Winzip x.x (the x's being numbers). Mine says Winzip 8.1. It will install itself.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
Sorry, zootycoonfan16, but I'm going to bed now. If you have any other questions, go ahead and post them, and if no one gets to them tonight, I'll check in the morning. Hope you get the files you need!  :happy

Offline zootycoonfan16

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 06:33:53 PM »
Well I still need help with unzipping a file (I know I must be so dumb). Well I'll list all the steps I have done in order and if I'm doing any step wrong then please tell me what I'm doing wrong (I really want these 2 animals badly  :sad )

I'll use the Saola file as an exaple. Also I'm using WinZip 8.1

1. I click on Download From Ogre's Net and then a screen pops up asking "Do you want to open or save this file?"
I click Save

2.Then it asls me where I want to save it in. So I save it in My Documents with File Name Saola as a WinZip File (In the Save As Type)

3.Then after saving and downloading it a Download Complete box opens then it asks if I want to open or open folder. I click open

4.Then the WinZip box pops with 3 choices : Quit , I Agree, Ordering Info. I click I agree.

5.Then it "Welcomes Me To The WinZip Wizard" so I click Next. Then It gives me 3 choices: Unzip or install from "Saola.zip", Update "Saola.zip", Create a new Zip file. I click Unzip or install from "Saola.zip".

6.Then it takes me to to Click "Unzip Now" to unzip the selected folder (My selected folder is c:\unzipped\Saola). So I click Unzip Now

7.Then it says the UnZip operation is complete

8.I click on My Documents and see a Saola file so I right click it with my mouse. I see the WinZip option so I scan my mouse over it. The WinZip option gives me 7 choices:
                           *Extract to ...
                           *Extract to here
                           *Extract to folder (This is the Saola folder)
                           *Extract To Folder
                           *E-mail Saola.zip
                           *Create Self Extractor (Exe.)
                           *Configure

9. I click Extract To Folder and then I select the Zoo Tycoon 2 folder

PLEASE HELP ME  :)

Offline Bielski

• The Guardian
  • Game Warden
  • Ooooooh Noooooo!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 10:22:48 PM »
Sorry but I really don't understand your question. The way I look at your post I am thinking: Yes, that sounds fine.
So what exactly is the problem?

Just one remark. you can skip step 3 to 7, by clicking close after downloading and go directly to step 8.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 10:32:47 PM »
zootycoonfan, I'm the one who answered you the other day, and, as bielski says, it sounds EXACTLY right. What happens after you do that? Does it not appear? I've found, that on MY computer (yours might be different) I have to make sure both 'saola' files (the zoo tycoon 2 file and the dl file) are in my MAIN folder, not a separate download one. I know some people's work that way, but others of us can't do it that way. If it's in your ZT2 folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2) under a separate folder, try doing a copy/paste to the main folder. If that works, then you know that's how you have to do it on your machine.

Hope that helps this time! :)

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 10:41:02 PM »
from what i can see you have extracted 1 step too far if you have already extracted it in step 6 then thats as far as it goes step 7 should be that you then MOVE the extracted file into your zootycoon2 downloads folder -  its like the ztd file fro zt1 you can unzipp that but its a step to far - after yu ahve extracted the file in part 6 does the file (or the file in the folder depending on what you ahve downloaded) now end in z2f? because that is what you want and dont need to extract anty further.