Author Topic: ZT 2 keeps crashing  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Acapella

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« on: June 10, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
Hi everyone!

After being off for quiet a long time, I'm back with a big problem.

My ZT2 used to run pretty smooth without any problems occuring for 2 years.
But since a few weeks, the game crashes after 10 - 15 minutes of playing, leading me back to Windows or completely crashing my machine.
By now, I tried every bit of advice on the Microsoft Support-Pages (like deactivating AGP-acceleration), updated every single driver for graphics, audio, mainboard and so on, used chkdsk, updated DirectX, tried every graphics-level in the game from lowest to highest, I defrag'ed my volumes, scanned everything for viruses and spyware - not to mention I un- and reinstalled the game for about 20 times without effect - my game keeps crashing.
I'm really out of ideas now and so I decided to ask here, if anybody has an idea on what to try.

Here are my Sys-specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2,2 GHz
384 MB Ram
Windows XP Home Edition

Graphics:
NVIDIA Geforce4 MX with integrated GPU

Audio:
Realtek AC97

Thanks in adcance,
Acapella

Offline Diablo0825

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 03:50:03 PM »
I am having the same problem, sometimes the game just closes or sometimes I have to turn off my computer!

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »
I have found when running ZT 2 you have to close off all programs running in the background. Any spyware programs, system monitoring programs etc and Lock off the net through your firewall to deny net access and close off your Anti- Virus software as well. ZT 2 is a ram hungry monster that does not like to compete with other programs.

use ctrl + alt + del to open the windows task manager. Click on the Processes tab.

You will see a list of items running on your system.

There are some that you can not touch and these are

Local Service
Network Service
System

You will also see a list with your name or the name of the computer's owner beside them. There are 3 that you have to leave running at all times.

taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE

All others with your name beside you can end the process on. To do this click on the process make sure your name is beside it then click end process. Continue to do this 1 by 1 until only the 3 processes with your name beside them, All System Processes, All Local Service processes and all Network Service Processes are the only things left in the list.

Close of the taskmanager and start ZT 2. This should help. If it doesn't there isn't anything else I can think of to try.

Offline Diablo0825

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
I wonder if this is related to the galapagos turtle?

Offline mosca_36

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:29:55 PM »
Quote from: Diablo0825
I am having the same problem, sometimes the game just closes or sometimes I have to turn off my computer!

Just like me!!!!

Offline Diablo0825

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
Ever since I removed the galapagos turtle  from my zoo I haven't had a problem!!

Offline mosca_36

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:28:25 AM »
Ever since I removed the galapagos turtle  from my zoo I haven't had a problem!!

how did u removed it?

Offline Diablo0825

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 06:35:18 AM »
Put it up for adoption.  I just click it real quick before it crached.

Offline mosca_36

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
Quote from: Yellowrose
I have found when running ZT 2 you have to close off all programs running in the background. Any spyware programs, system monitoring programs etc and Lock off the net through your firewall to deny net access and close off your Anti- Virus software as well. ZT 2 is a ram hungry monster that does not like to compete with other programs.

use ctrl + alt + del to open the windows task manager. Click on the Processes tab.

You will see a list of items running on your system.

There are some that you can not touch and these are

Local Service
Network Service
System

You will also see a list with your name or the name of the computer's owner beside them. There are 3 that you have to leave running at all times.

taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE

All others with your name beside you can end the process on. To do this click on the process make sure your name is beside it then click end process. Continue to do this 1 by 1 until only the 3 processes with your name beside them, All System Processes, All Local Service processes and all Network Service Processes are the only things left in the list.

Close of the taskmanager and start ZT 2. This should help. If it doesn't there isn't anything else I can think of to try.

i've already tried that but it keeps crashing

Offline mosca_36

• Pooper Scooper
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 09:27:19 AM »
Put it up for adoption.  I just click it real quick before it crached.

but if I don´t heve the galapagos turtle in my zzo why does it keep crashing???

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
ZT 2 keeps crashing
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »
mosca have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?  Sometimes that can help.

You could also try lowering some of your graphics settings and see if that helps.  It does seem to me that unless you're running the ultimate gaming computer, it's inevitable that ZT2 will crash once in a while, especially as your zoos get bigger.  However if it happens every time you play than something's definitely wrong.

Also make sure your graphics card is supported and that you have enough RAM.

Sorry if you tried all these things already -- if you give more details about your crashing and your computer hardware we might be able to give you a little more specific help.  :happy: