Author Topic: Large grey square; invisible animals. HELP Dx; [unresolved, plz help :|]  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
[[SOLVED]]

So I have Zoo Tycoon 2 without any expansions; all the display options are on "high." And I downloaded a bunch of animals. About 80% of them have this massive grey square around them, like, on the ground. And another 10% of them are just invisible when I place them.

Help plz ;D

SCREENSHOT OF PROBLEMZ
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/glitteringcrystal/Graphics/largegreysquare.png
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:06:42 AM by Apricot »

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Large grey square; invisible animals. HELP Dx;
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:41:33 AM »
You need to look at the compatibility when you download them. Some animals will not work if you have no expansion packs, because they reference files that you get only by purchasing the expansion packs they are based from. So if the animal isn't based off of a model in the original game, then you won't be able to use them in your zoos. Sorry! :crying:

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »
Oh dear Dx I do look at the compatability when I download them, but some people don't put the expansion packs needed when they put up their downloads. DDDD=

But is this just for the invisible animals, or is it for the animals with a grey square around them too? Because the square really doesn't do anything bad Edited for content

[modnotice=mikaboshi]Please remember that this is a family forum and foul language is not tolerated. Thank you.[/modnotice]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 02:32:08 PM by mikaboshi »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:46 PM »
A few questions to help us help you:

Is the grey around the whole animal or just the icon?
Does the animal still move/eat/reproduce the way it should?
Can you give some examples of animals that are giving you this problem?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:54:19 PM »
A lot of animals have a gray-like icon around them if they are designer made. If that's what you see, then there's nothing wrong with them. :original:

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »
Is the grey around the whole animal or just the icon? It's around the whole animal.
Does the animal still move/eat/reproduce the way it should? I'm not sure. It's kind of hard to get anything done with that massive square around it. D;
Can you give some examples of animals that are giving you this problem? All the animals with the grey square are Russian Brown Bear, Spirit Bear, Bobcat, all the frogs available for download, Yacare Caiman, Black-tailed Deer, White-tailed Deer, Dik-dik, Fisher, Clouded Leopard, Nightmare, Phoenix, Miniature Pony, Phorusrhacos, Racoon,
European Wild Cat, Caracal, Himalayan Monal, Fallow Deer,
European Unicorn.
All the animals that are invisible [some don't contain the grey square, most do] are fantasy wolf, dingo, arctic fox, red dragon, serval, eastern bluetongued skink, redfooted tortoise, ornate box turtle, eastern timber wolf, southern hairy-nosed wombat.

@cleesburg: No, it's around the actual animal. Hold on, I'll get a screenshot.

SCREENSHOT OF PROBLEM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/glitteringcrystal/Graphics/largegreysquare.png

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
Then yes, you can't use the majority of them. For instance, the Phorusrhacos is based off an animal in African Adventures. And most of these animals were made with Endangered Species files - I'm afraid that without the expansion packs, you won't be able to use these downloads. Sorry! :crying:

Offline Iwuvmyparakeetz

• Zookeeper
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:20:04 PM »
The little green square was a problem with me too. Have you actually tried *placing* the animal? Because with mine, The animal won't actually appear until you place it. Hop that helps!

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 06:34:54 PM »
Quote from: mikaboshi;156985
Then yes, you can't use the majority of them. For instance, the Phorusrhacos is based off an animal in African Adventures. And most of these animals were made with Endangered Species files - I'm afraid that without the expansion packs, you won't be able to use these downloads. Sorry!

I agree with Mikaboshi. Without the expansions, those are not available. For example, the Fantasy Wolf is based off of the ES wolf, which you don't have. Sorry. : :( : :crying:

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 07:43:45 PM »
Okay, so all the invisible animals won't work? But what about the greysquare animals? I have come to the conclusion that the grey square only appears at certain levels of zoom [lol that sounds way hardcore. xD], but it really gets on my nerves. Like when you're trying to place things at a certain level of zoom and you can't see where you're placing it cause there's a massive grey chunk there.

Do you guys have any idea how else to get rid of the greysquare? [btw, the phorusharcagewgroijh didn't function normally - it showed up, but just kinda stood there with its wings spread wide. It was really scary actually. D= All the other greysquare animals functioned normally from what I could see though.]

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »
Like it has been said, if the downloaded animals are based off an animal from an expansion, that is the reason why they will not work. You can't download animals based off of expansions when you only have ZT2 installed.
Some of the animals you listed did in fact come from the original game, but the designers could have used the updated files for the animals that came with the expansions.

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 11:59:07 PM »
All the animals with the grey square are Russian Brown Bear, not availalbe here therfore we cannot answer this one unless you mean the syrian brown bear in which case make sure you have the one that is not marked for ES.
 Spirit Bear,  needs ES/AA to work
 Bobcat, all the frogs available for download,
 Yacare Caiman, Black-tailed Deer, White-tailed Deer, Dik-dik, Fisher, Clouded Leopard, Nightmare, Phoenix, Miniature Pony, Phorusrhacos, Racoon,
European Wild Cat, Caracal, Himalayan Monal, Fallow Deer,
European Unicorn.  again these where all made after ES/AA came out and will not work
All the animals that are invisible [some don't contain the grey square, most do] are fantasy wolf, dingo, arctic fox, red dragon, serval, eastern bluetongued skink, redfooted tortoise, ornate box turtle, eastern timber wolf, southern hairy-nosed wombat.  
again all need expansion packs to work

Most of the new downlaods on the database need expansion packs to work.  Many creators now have the expansin packs and therfore use the files from the expansion packs to make thier animals etc so even if that animal was based on an animal in the original zt2 its files are more than likely to be taken from an EP and therefore will not work.  Tomcat is one of the creators who has animals that you can use for zt2 (look for his files that NOT NOT have either ES or AA after them) and a few of penguinmans files his earlier ones are zt2 stand alones.

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »
Okay, thanks. So I should delete all the animals with the grey square? :O

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »
Correct :happy:

Offline Apricot

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
Kay n_n; Thanks everyone for being patient with me and helping me even though I was not grasping concepts xDDD Thanks.

Offline Somedude

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2006, 12:34:44 PM »
Just a quick Q. kind of related to this. Some of my downloaded animals are ALWAYS mad for no reason. Is this because I dont have expansions or do they have anger controll problems? :)