Author Topic: The Sim's 2 and expansions  (Read 32796 times)

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
The Sim's 2 and expansions
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:18:27 AM »
Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 16 2004, 07:52 AM
I cancelled my online pre-order (since january this year) and got down to the shop today after work- and they had Sims 2- but only the dvd edition

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 16 2004, 07:57 AM
DVD edition has extra stuff on it that normal one doesn't, my preorder has been sent but not rec'd it yet  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 16 2004, 08:59 AM
ok but i have heard many reports from those that have the DVD version find it runs slower on your pc so I did not want to get that - plus having to move my dvd player from old pc to this one. My CD version was shipped but I cancelled thinking i get it here locally after advertisements. Maybe next week then!!  

Posted by: admiralphilip Sep. 16 2004, 10:11 AM
I pre-ordered on ebgames and told them to ship it to my local ebgames shop. So I'm just waiting for them to call and say its in.  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 16 2004, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Aussie Koala @ Sep 16 2004, 01:59 PM)
ok but i have heard many reports from those that have the DVD version find it runs slower on your pc so I did not want to get that - plus having to move my dvd player from old pc to this one. My CD version was shipped but I cancelled thinking i get it here locally after advertisements. Maybe next week then!!  

The DVD version wont run slower than the cd version. Even the slowest DVD drives are just as fast as the fastest CD drives. With a fast processor and graphics card (like your new one) and lots of ram the difference would be minute if at all.  

Posted by: Necrotizing Spectre Sep. 16 2004, 01:16 PM
My sister got the DVD version. She's hooked.  I got pokemon fire red, but the sims 2 looks real spiffy too!  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 16 2004, 01:32 PM
I'm actually disapointed that dvd version has extra stuff, i've had sims 2 on preorder since 19th september last year then found out about the extra bits but we don't get the dvd version yet so i wasn't gonna change order and wait even longer but i hope maxis release the extra parts  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 16 2004, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Necrotizing Spectre @ Sep 16 2004, 12:16 PM)
My sister got the DVD version. She's hooked.  I got pokemon fire red, but the sims 2 looks real spiffy too!  

I got Pokemon Fire Red too! It's awsome! Im not much of a sim fan through!  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 16 2004, 11:00 PM
just got it today  i have not played it yet though i can telly ou if its cool

be back later  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Sep. 16 2004, 11:06 PM
I don't have it, and I've only seen a quick thirty second preview earlier this year. So what are the big differences between the old Sims and SIms 2?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 17 2004, 02:41 AM
(Coeur de lion @ Sep 16 2004, 06:32 PM)
I'm actually disapointed that dvd version has extra stuff, i've had sims 2 on preorder since 19th september last year then found out about the extra bits but we don't get the dvd version yet so i wasn't gonna change order and wait even longer but i hope maxis release the extra parts  

I don't think they will. It's a bit like special features on a DVD that you don't get with a tape.  

Posted by: admiralphilip Sep. 17 2004, 02:43 AM
I got it and its sweet.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 17 2004, 03:45 AM
Yay I have it now  Just in time for weekend and I brought this big thick prima guide too - after a quick forum read Im off to install  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:47 AM
yep i on way to shops now to get it i also read in the sims 2 forumon official site that there already cheats for it  i get the dvd version later on cant wait any longer  

Posted by: dinwrest Sep. 17 2004, 07:07 AM
I might get this if I have enough money becuase I'm also saving up for Godzilla save the earth and ZT2 I might have enough though.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 17 2004, 11:36 AM
Arrived this morning only played it for a short time but first impressions are WOW!!, its cool so many options it gives and the change from 2d to 3d has been done so perfectly i only hope zt2 changes over as well as this has  

Posted by: sheila77 Sep. 17 2004, 03:04 PM
I was going to hold off on getting it but now I think I might go ahead and get it now. I wanted to hear what other people had to say. One of the things that I didn't like about the original was having to tell them to do every little thing!!! Apparently some of that has been corrected in Sims 2. An article I found that gave it a good review can be found http://tech.msn.com/games/. It helped me form my opinion anyway.  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 17 2004, 03:09 PM
does anybody know how to make two charcaters you made meet each other?, it was easy in the sims but i cant get them to meet no matter where i go with one of my characters the other one is never there  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:13 PM
cant help you there im afraid  i only just got home and its taking ages to install the game so cant play it yet maybe i have it installed before midnight  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 17 2004, 03:16 PM
well maybe somebody will learn and they can tell me, have fun once you start playing its really cool but i think my character is going to die  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:31 PM
well maybe you can look through http://forums.thesimsresource.com/forumdis...?s=&forumid=489 and see if anything helps you  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 17 2004, 04:06 PM
I would think the logical way of getting 2 created sims to meet is get the sims to meetan in game character, when they have both met the same one play as that character to introduce our user made ones or try throwing a party  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 18 2004, 08:22 AM
Right- and Kuma, you go visit community lots - they sometimes there.

I have found some bugs/flaws but nothing too major. I have been turning on/off the ageing process as I think that happens too quickly for the toddlers especially. I bought all these groceries at the shop and then my fridge was still empty and i had to order groceries home delivered- if anyone knows if there is something I doing wrong there I would be interested.

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 18 2004, 11:41 AM
It sounds everyone is having a great time with this game  Hopefully I'll pick up my copy soon  Then I can tell you all the wierd and wacky storys that come out of my computer  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 18 2004, 12:34 PM
haven't tried going to store for groceries i did mine over the phone.
I did get some clothes shopping and found you can buy different styles of same type i got 3 different lots of swimwear  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 18 2004, 12:59 PM
the party thing does not work either as you can only invite max 4 sims - well thats all it lets me invite- and you have to know them. I also could not invite people I met in community lot so I see your problem Kuma. - im sure we work it out soon as we all new at this  - and lots to learn.

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 18 2004, 02:20 PM
Woohoo. I just got my copy  Installing disc 3 atm  I am so excited, can't wait to play it.  

Posted by: Sea Unicorn Sep. 18 2004, 02:36 PM
Lucky people, I am probably getting mine on my bday  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 18 2004, 04:42 PM
i found the only way to get two sims to meet that you made so to make them live right next to each other, then when they come to greet you that sim will just show up with whoever else comes. yes they do grow up to fast but i didn't know you could turn off the ageing thing, i dont want my sims becoming elders to fast  

also a bug that i found is when your on the second level of a house everything on the buttom level doesn't show like if you can see below through the stairs, they walk over adn started washing dishes the water just comes out of nowhere if your looking from up stairs  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 19 2004, 05:15 AM
ok yes i have been successful with meeting my other created sims by greeting them as they walk past my house.

I will look out for the upstairs thing- I only have built on ground floor so far.  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 06:06 AM
for those of you who have sims 2 ... what computer do you have, because I want to know if I can run it with some details on mine. I only have geforce 4 mx440 graphics card and I think that won't be enough to run it normal!

edit: btw, is there a demo?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 06:53 AM
There is no demo.

I have 1.8ghz p4, 384mb ram and a radeon 9800pro and it's ok but does chug when there are loads of people in the house.

minimum spec

800mhz, 32mb transform and lighting capable video card. 256mb ram.

So if you pc meets that it should be ok.  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 07:02 AM
(James 24 @ Sep 19 2004, 01:53 PM)
There is no demo.

I have 1.8ghz p4, 384mb ram and a radeon 9800pro and it's ok but does chug when there are loads of people in the house.

minimum spec

can yo adjust details and on wich setting do you play the game  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 07:06 AM
yep, you can turn everything to low and put it on 800x600  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 07:56 AM
(James 24 @ Sep 19 2004, 02:06 PM)

on wich setting do you play it with your computer

and if it's on low details, does it still look decent?  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 19 2004, 08:24 AM
i have a GEforce MX400 but my processor is only 688 instead of the minimum 800 but it still plays apart from it running bit slow and the intro movie stutters and is blocky but i can live with that just to play the game  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 19 2004, 12:42 PM
I seen the box at Wal-Mart. It looked pretty good! I think i'll get it, but I have to wait to get my alowence. If it is'nt good i'll trade it in at EB to preorder Zoo Tyccon 2!  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 02:19 PM
(wisco @ Sep 19 2004, 12:56 PM)

Here is what the game looks like with everything turned down. Still quite good  

Posted by: Megaraptor Sep. 19 2004, 03:08 PM
Are there any pets?  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 19 2004, 03:31 PM
i dont think so but i guess they will add them in an exp like in the first sims

by the way i cant find where to turn the ageing thing off how do you do it?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 03:34 PM
The only pets I have seen so far are fish.

To turn ageing off:
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-C at the same time, a text box will apear
2. Type 'Aging off'
The press enter

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 19 2004, 03:41 PM
thanks, and by the way the house you showed looks like a real house mine always look kinda unnormal  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 03:48 PM
(Kuma @ Sep 19 2004, 08:41 PM)
thanks, and by the way the house you showed looks like a real house mine always look kinda unnormal  

, that's because I took it of one of the pre built ones. My ones look terrible so far .  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 19 2004, 04:25 PM
I woulde'nt mind if one of my sims died! Because I want to see the Reaper! He's awsome!  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 01:33 AM
hey can anyone help my sim wants to see a ghost and have a near escape from death (silly woman) how to i do that when she lives by herself so i got no other sim to kill off to grant her wish  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 20 2004, 02:23 AM
I honestly have no idea  I guess it's when the reaper comes down and someone stops you there but I've never done that.

The reaper went and killed the mother of this family and now the child has been taken away somewhere and the husband is scard for life  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 09:05 AM
@RND I have not tried killing any yet- Im doing well to keep them alive at the moment  However, from the Sybex guide in order to see a ghost you need a tombstone or urn on the lot of a Sim that has passed away. With the grim reaper you need another surviving sim on the lot to plead for their life - so not sure how you going to achieve those things  

Sims 2 is extremeley interesting and the characters have lots more personality and stories to them

@ James Yikes poor man! I had one poor kid that witnessed a robbery in their home - she had awful nightmares and did terrible at school, threw tanturms all the time and was basically a real brat. Now she is a teenager and her parents got her into private school. She is now is doing well at school and even won the local spelling bee- she still has trouble making friends though.

I have not got as far as having a sim become an elder yet- I have one going to become an elder in 8 days - which means about 3 days game play for me. Her husband does not turn old for 18 days. She is pregnant and also has a child and above reformed teenager. It will be interesting to see what happens then.  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 09:12 AM
ah well looks like i will have to get someone to move in with my sim and then kill them off either that or invite a neighbour over to use the pool and then just take away the ladder till they drown i dont know why my sim wants to see a ghost or almost die she must be seriously strange   (seeing she based on me in looks and star sign and asperations that a bit worrying  )  

Posted by: Zookeeper Missie Sep. 20 2004, 09:54 AM
Wow this game sounds so much better than the first sims. My mother bought me The SIMS2 but I wont get it till my birthday, which is October 6th, so maybe I can "research" it more in depth. I'm trying to talk her into playing it. Them maybe she'll leave her computer on and I can sneak on.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 11:12 AM
@RND-  yes wonder why they want to do that- do you want to see a ghost and have near life expericenes  ? I wonder if any of the community lots have graveyards they can go to see ghosts?

My family is now in bigger problems- they have twins now and the whole family has turned totally dysfunctional, everything is breaking down, the reformed teenager is back to her tantrums - and I have no idea how to get it under control
Oh plus an old flame of the wife turned up at the twins birhday party and now they not talking to each other and he wont sleep in same bed with her. They have -20 relationship now. sigh

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 11:29 AM
i bought the expensive telescope for one of my sims to stargaze he looked at it and he got abducted by aliens and now just had a baby  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 20 2004, 11:58 AM
red did you choose the knowledge aspiration for your sim as wanting to be abducted and see ghosts is a classic set of wants for them

Oh and AK good luck getting your family back under control  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 12:02 PM
(Coeur de lion @ Sep 20 2004, 04:58 PM)
red did you choose the knowledge aspiration for your sim as wanting to be abducted and see ghosts is a classic set of wants for them

yes i did and now someone tells me  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 20 2004, 03:45 PM
i have 7 poeple all living in one house  its crazy

and by the way the money cheat is motherlode  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Sep. 20 2004, 05:48 PM
I must say. The sims 1 got me hooked for only a short period. I didn't like to give all the orders like go to the bathroom, eat, etc.. It got a little boring. But Sims 2 sounds interesting. Do you still have to look a lot to them doing bathing and eating, etc..?  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 20 2004, 07:11 PM
they still have those needs but they seem to be filled a lot easier plus the AI for the sims is much improved so they will take care of these things much better  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 07:34 PM
The adults seem to take care of their needs much better- and I have found it manageable in small family. When you have a large family it seems more complicated as everyone is trying to do everything at once - so a lot of time wasting - for example: 2 adults and a nanny might go to feed a toddler- then spend a few minutes picking up and putting it down- until someone actually does it.
The kids themselves are a bit of work. Every toddler I have just wants to play in the toilet and splash in puddles- which according to the guide is a sign of their immaturity and may continue this behaviour into other life stages  You are supposed to stop them doing this by having their aspirations high- but even when they on platinum they still do this in my game.

When they are kids and teenagers I have no idea how to get them to do their homework by themselves- this also is hard work to manage.

Also there is no easy way to tell you out of groceries without clicking on the fridge- so the babies and toddlers yell until the delivery man gets there

Anyway, if you dont want to do a lot of clicking and controlling them , just have a small family !!!!

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 20 2004, 07:40 PM
i really dont like the old poeple in my sims family  most of my sims have jobs so i dont have to control them all the time, but i just dont like having the old sims around then i wouldn't have as many sims to control anyway  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 21 2004, 02:13 AM
dont you just hate the teenagers they worse than real teanagers all they do is moan and slump around the house and trying to get them to school is murder  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 21 2004, 02:30 AM
i think the teenagers are cool and they always go to school and do there homework easy for me  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 21 2004, 12:32 PM
New flash: The husband of the wife who died and the child got taken a way has died himself  

I try to replace the fridge when it get's down to around 50, usually using the computer or phone I never go shopping .

I've got my young Sims to do homework but sometimes I find it best to have an adult help them with it  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 22 2004, 01:38 AM
Does anyones kids do their homework on own ie:without clicking on it for do homework? Mine come in from school dump it on the floor and go off to play and would glady forget about it altogether without my intervention. Sometimes I have to hunt to find where they dumped it so I can click on it for them to do it.

I found out if someone helps them through one full homework assignment, in future they do it quicker- but I have never seen a kid go to the homework by themselves and do it.

Also something interesting for those that do not know - most of the premade families already living in the neighbourhood are there as "tutorials" to show you different features of the game and the different cinematics you can view.
For example: In Strangeville - You can play the Specter family to view the ghost animations and to see what happens when someone dies of old age, Play the Beaker family to view a nervous breakdown and the Siims pychiatrist visit, the Curios family- see a Sim aducted by aliens and also give birth to an alien and the Grunt family to see how you can use the obstacle course to quickly gain body points and also see the military helicopter pick a sim up to go to work.
They are designed so if you play them correcly you see these features within 2 sim days!!

All the neighbourhoods have different families to show different features and its quite cool  If anyone wants to know what other families are supposed to do just let me know and i tell you - its all in the Sybex guide here  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 01:47 AM
ive heard that bella goth is hiding in strangetown somewhere and i wonder if we are meant to find her and try to get her back home sort of a mini quest within the game ive also just learnt how to build a 5 story house including basement now i just trying to figure out how to make the basement so you are able to put stuff on the walls  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 22 2004, 02:44 PM
how many sims can you control in the game. its a question for a contest. then I can win the sims 2  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 03:08 PM
one at a time and as many as you have in a family (by switching between them same as sims 1)  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 22 2004, 03:12 PM
(rednotdead @ Sep 22 2004, 10:08 PM)
one at a time and as many as you have in a family (by switching between them same as sims 1)  

it's a multiple choice question. the answer is 6, 8 or 10  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 22 2004, 03:14 PM
same as the first one 8  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 03:21 PM
(wisco @ Sep 22 2004, 08:12 PM)
one at a time  and as many as you have in a family (by switching between them same as sims 1)  

you didnt say that part  otherwisse i would of said the same as CDL (max no of people in a family)  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 22 2004, 04:19 PM
Im getting Sims 2 on the weekend! Can't wait!  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 22 2004, 04:33 PM
Sounds great Doshi! You are going to have lots of fun.

Experiment no.1 8people in 1 house, few jobs and only 15000. Can they live the rest of theirs live on it . Well so good so far . The finance is stable and so it their stats .  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 23 2004, 05:49 AM
(James 24 @ Sep 22 2004, 03:33 PM)

Experiment no.1 8people in 1 house, few jobs and only 15000. Can they live the rest of theirs live on it . Well so good so far . The finance is stable and so it their stats .  

I just hope I can amke a good house and the sims can afford it... Because I played the sims on Gamecube once but when I tryed to make a house for them they just couldent afford it! And im glad the sims have more intellingence now... I don't want to tell them to go use the toilet...  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 24 2004, 04:53 PM
Usually it is best to make the family then make a empty lot, move them into that and then build the house:)  

Posted by: dinwrest Sep. 24 2004, 07:18 PM
I am the cheat master , cheats on the first day  I have a 2 HUGE families one has a toddler boy , a child boy, a teenage girl , a mom and dad, and grandpa the other has 2 tenage boys , a child girl and boy , a toddler girl , a mom a dad, and their room mate (father of the toddler).  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 25 2004, 04:15 PM
I need help... I was turing off the background tasks but they kept coming back and then eventually my computer restarted itself! Please help...

EDIT: I figured out the problem I shuted off the ones with not my user name on them I did'nt but then I read the insurtion book and figured it out  

Posted by: lthill Sep. 26 2004, 01:25 PM
   I got it. I love it. Had to wait for it to come in the mail but I got it for 39.99 and no shipping costs. That was great. Spending all my time playing now.  

Posted by: jediliz Sep. 27 2004, 11:28 AM
I've had the game for about 2 weeks. I find that it can be very dizzying. So far, I had to not save a family cause a child got an F (didn't do all her homework) and got taken away. But I eventually got her back up to a decent grade (She's now at an A). That took a lot of forcing her to do her homework, having mom help with homework, reading a book, playing darts, swinging.............but I finally got her the A. Unforunately, she was rejected from private school for a 2nd time due to the fact that I guess the house wasn't impressive enough for the headmaster. :rollseyes:  

Posted by: kittyboy1# Sep. 27 2004, 08:28 PM
(jediliz @ Sep 27 2004, 10:28 AM)
I've had the game for about 2 weeks. I find that it can be very dizzying. So far, I had to not save a family cause a child got an F (didn't do all her homework) and got taken away. But I eventually got her back up to a decent grade (She's now at an A). That took a lot of forcing her to do her homework, having mom help with homework, reading a book, playing darts, swinging.............but I finally got her the A. Unforunately, she was rejected from private school for a 2nd time due to the fact that I guess the house wasn't impressive enough for the headmaster. :rollseyes:  

i do and i LOVE it  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 27 2004, 09:10 PM
Don't worry jediliz, you eventually get there- I had all those issues too but now mastering - well maybe not mastering- but overcoming them  - just trying different things and tactics you soon sort it out- keep going and you will have that kid in private school before long.

I had a problem once when the headmaster would not even get out of the car to come to my house- so I put it down to either having the buffet table or some trash in yard. Not quite sure there but once both those things cleared up he came in and all was well. Do not invite him until you have a sim with a high cooking skill also - and a bar there help for the schmoozing- well thats helped me anyway  

Posted by: caribou_caro Sep. 29 2004, 12:57 PM
I got it last week and I'm really enjoying it. I bought the DVD version to begin with, but we just couldn't get it to run, so I took it back to Wal-mart and exchanged it for the CD which works fine. I find what I like best is having so many interaction options, especially in bed - you can relax, read, daydream by yourself, or you can cuddle, kiss, make out, or woohoo with someone else. The Aspiration Reward things seem ok but I haven't got alot of benefit from them yet, except maybe the love tub. AK, did you try having some toys around for your toddler to play with instead of splashing in the toilet? They can earn creativity points from the xylophone, or logic points from the blocks. One other great thing about Sims2 is that personal needs take a more reasonable amount of time, and your Sim can actually fulfill needs at work - my DJ gets a full social bar just from working.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 29 2004, 01:30 PM
I like the fact your needs can increase at work, mine gets social and fun in the athletics career plus he always has a meal  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 29 2004, 05:51 PM
I just wish they had a coffee machine at work, one day my sim was really tired and went to work and when he got home he collapsed on the floor. Darn toddler.  

Posted by: gysca Sep. 30 2004, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting the game, it looks very good.... could you guys (who already own the game) tell me the difference between the DVD and CD version? I don't find anything in thesims.com BBS, beside the DVD version sometimes make conflict and won't install. I'm also afraid that if I get the game, it won't run OK because my PC's kind of old (about 3 years old). the spec of my PC is P4 2 GHz, 1.5 GHz RAM, 80 GB hd (62 GB free space), 64 MB video card (NVidia GeForce 2 MX 200). I think the sound card is built in. thanks in advance  

Posted by: sheila77 Oct. 1 2004, 11:20 AM
I just got the DVD version, and it runs fine on my computer. I have A LOT less ram than you do (only 256 MB). My processor is a just a little faster than yours but I think you should be fine with what you have. I would try getting the DVD version if you want it, and then if it doesn't work you can try taking it back, like what caribou_caro did. Some places won't allow that though, so I guess see what the return policy is for the store where you plan on getting it first. They say there are some extras with the DVD version, but what it all entails I'm not sure of. I haven't had much time to play it since I bought it, unfortunately.  

Posted by: James 24 Oct. 1 2004, 03:34 PM
gysca, 1.5GB of ram? That seems alot for 3 years ago, mine only has 384mb and was 3 years old. Are you sure you didn't get it confused with something else?

Apart from that everything looks ok, geforce 2 getting a bit dated though now and most probably will force you to play on low 800x600. New graphics card are pretty a cheep. A geforce fx5200 or a radeon9200 are pretty cheap and would do the job

Concerning DVD or CD. CD comes on 4cds and dvd comes on 1dvd with bonuses. Depends if your pc has a dvd drive  

Posted by: gysca Oct. 2 2004, 10:15 AM
uh.. yeah.. 1.5 GB (not GHz! heheh) of RAM... I'm not confusing it with any other part of the computer.. actually when we (hubby n me) wrote the requested spec (for the store to build it), the tech support people asked us why we need that much RAM.. my hubby calmly said he want to have a computer with as much power possible to last at least 5 years or so, plus at that time he plans to have a server, plus I have a bad habit of opening lots of windows.. the store people kinda forced us to stay "low" with 1 GB RAM at that time, but a few month after that my hubby found a cheap 512 MB stick, so he bought it &  voila! 1.5 GB of RAM  ...we're thinking of getting a new video card, but my hubby said it's time to get a new comp? hehe... still deciding ^_^

but anyway, enough story.... so I have to decide between 4 CDs and 1 DVD huh? there's no other known differences (pros & contras?) than that? I'll probably take the DVD... thanks James24 & sheila77 for replying.  

Posted by: James 24 Oct. 2 2004, 10:27 AM
The DVD version also comes with some extras not avaliable on the cd version  

Posted by: Pangeia King Oct. 2 2004, 01:12 PM
i recently got this game and there is one word to desbribe it: EXCELLENT!!!!!  

Posted by: lthill Oct. 13 2004, 10:35 PM
I got it and I love it. The Sims2 takes the game to a whole new level. I is better than life because if you don't save you can do it all over again. I made Sims of the Simpsons and The King of the Hill families. Its great      

Posted by: rednotdead Oct. 14 2004, 01:15 AM
i,ve just been notified that i won a sims 2 dvd from entering a competition at the sims2 uk official site yeah im really excited cos i love playing the game and now im getting the dvd version which isint on sale in the UK yet  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 14 2004, 03:51 PM
Congratulations, Red!
I've had the game for two or so weeks. It runs slow on my PC but its otherwise an excellent game.  

Posted by: ANIME-NIAC Oct. 17 2004, 07:22 PM
I dont have it but when i do get it I want the dvd because from what I read on the box it has tips on making movies.
And I really want Mad House to be a good sitcom.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 17 2004, 10:16 PM
I know that it has been asked several times before, but what extras does the DVD version come with? I got the game for my birthday, but the givers didn't know if I had a DVD drive or not, so I have the CD version. What am I missing out on?  

Posted by: jediliz Oct. 17 2004, 10:19 PM
asthmatic,

there's a bonus disk that came with the game. I didn't really explore it much. But one advantage of the DVD rom version is that the whole installation of the game was one disk and not 4 (is that how many came with the CD edition?). They were priced the same, so I thought I'd get the DVD version cause I had a DVD Rom. But I got more memory a few weeks ago cause the game was sluggish for me.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 17 2004, 10:25 PM
Yes, there were 4 CDs but that didn't bother me much. Since you say that the gameplay is more sluggish, I'm glad that I have the CD version. But what I really want to know is what is on that enigmatic bonus disk...  

Posted by: rednotdead Oct. 18 2004, 01:13 AM
included on the bonus dvd disc are

interviews with the sims2 experts - get essential hints and game-play strategies from the makeres of the game
the sims 2 film school 101 - learn movie making tips, tricks and special effects
the sims 2 movies and outtakes, watch films made in game, hilarious bloopers and rare vintage ads from the sims.
exclusive digital goodies, decorate yur desktop, IM or website with brand new The sims 2 assets.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 18 2004, 03:20 AM
Well, then the only thing of that that I would really like would be the movie making stuff, so its OK that I got the CD version.  

Posted by: Captain Nemo Nov. 17 2004, 04:54 PM
I have the sims 2 it's really cool!  

Posted by: TigerTail Nov. 17 2004, 10:04 PM
I own Sims2, really its my brothers, but he's nice and lets me play!  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Nov. 17 2004, 11:23 PM
One thing about the game that I don't like is the lack of objective. You spend a while raising stats to max, and then what? He/she dies and you start from scratch? I turned off aging to prevent that, but I would like to see Maxis include some sort of objective, or scenario, with defined goals. I enjoy games more when there is a feeling of achievement from completing the challenge.  

Posted by: Sea Unicorn Nov. 20 2004, 12:26 AM
I have it and you could use those hacked objects to max their motives and aspiration. In the hacks and objects section of downloads at http://www.modthesims2.com  

Posted by: TigerTail Nov. 25 2004, 08:40 AM
AH, pre-made neighbor hoods sort of have a senario, try one!  

Posted by: Captain Winkie Winkie Nov. 26 2004, 07:48 PM
I begged my mom to get it but she told me I had to wait until Christmas... Or maybe even after that because it might be a while until we can get back to America for the holidays... But I got a sneak preview disk and I've played it through and through...

Offline Calico Kitten

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
Dude! I'm lucky! I Got the DVD issue!

Offline dinwrest

• Zookeeper
  • Personal text!Sweet!But it's public...I'M CONFUSED
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »
What's so special about the DVD edition ? It's 10$ more so I'm guessing worth 10 $.

I have the normal one . I created a family with my frinends from school , maybe next time I might make a whole bunch of family/friends together (this time all as adults instead of teens)

Offline Thief of Souls

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:09:07 PM »
1.Its the same price
2. It is one disc
3. It has extra feature

Kaze_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 09:54:11 PM »
I want it so bad, I've played it. That makes the want even worse. It doesn't come out for a while for my computer, I have a mac...

troublemaker232

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »
I love the sims ands the sims 2 . I,play the sims 2 everyday. The sad part is I just cant play the sims 1 anymore. The sims 2 is just too cool. But I dont have the heart to uninstall sims 1. But the dvd edition is really no differnt than the regular. :rolleyes:

Offline Calico Kitten

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
I terrified myself on the sims 2. My family set the grill on fire and i turned it off scaredthat the family woud become a death area

Offline dinwrest

• Zookeeper
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 11:43:18 AM »
On about Saturday I got the expansion , there was a bug but my mother (who has godly computer powers) fixed it. Now I jsut bought more ram and I'm about to play

Offline kestera

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »
i love sims 2 and the expansion pack. i have been playing for a quite  while . you will love it too.

Offline caribou_caro

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
I've got Sims 2 but was wondering if anyone has the expansion yet?

Offline Texgnome1

• Old Gnome!
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 12:18:27 AM »
Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 16 2004, 07:52 AM
I cancelled my online pre-order (since january this year) and got down to the shop today after work- and they had Sims 2- but only the dvd edition

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 16 2004, 07:57 AM
DVD edition has extra stuff on it that normal one doesn't, my preorder has been sent but not rec'd it yet  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 16 2004, 08:59 AM

Posted by: admiralphilip Sep. 16 2004, 10:11 AM
I pre-ordered on ebgames and told them to ship it to my local ebgames shop. So I'm just waiting for them to call and say its in.  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 16 2004, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Aussie Koala @ Sep 16 2004, 01:59 PM)

The DVD version wont run slower than the cd version. Even the slowest DVD drives are just as fast as the fastest CD drives. With a fast processor and graphics card (like your new one) and lots of ram the difference would be minute if at all.  

Posted by: Necrotizing Spectre Sep. 16 2004, 01:16 PM

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 16 2004, 01:32 PM

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 16 2004, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Necrotizing Spectre @ Sep 16 2004, 12:16 PM)

I got Pokemon Fire Red too! It's awsome! Im not much of a sim fan through!  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 16 2004, 11:00 PM
just got it today  i have not played it yet though i can telly ou if its cool

be back later  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Sep. 16 2004, 11:06 PM
I don't have it, and I've only seen a quick thirty second preview earlier this year. So what are the big differences between the old Sims and SIms 2?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 17 2004, 02:41 AM
(Coeur de lion @ Sep 16 2004, 06:32 PM)

I don't think they will. It's a bit like special features on a DVD that you don't get with a tape.  

Posted by: admiralphilip Sep. 17 2004, 02:43 AM
I got it and its sweet.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 17 2004, 03:45 AM
Yay I have it now  Just in time for weekend and I brought this big thick prima guide too - after a quick forum read Im off to install  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:47 AM
yep i on way to shops now to get it i also read in the sims 2 forumon official site that there already cheats for it  i get the dvd version later on cant wait any longer  

Posted by: dinwrest Sep. 17 2004, 07:07 AM
I might get this if I have enough money becuase I'm also saving up for Godzilla save the earth and ZT2 I might have enough though.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 17 2004, 11:36 AM
Arrived this morning only played it for a short time but first impressions are WOW!!, its cool so many options it gives and the change from 2d to 3d has been done so perfectly i only hope zt2 changes over as well as this has  

Posted by: sheila77 Sep. 17 2004, 03:04 PM
I was going to hold off on getting it but now I think I might go ahead and get it now. I wanted to hear what other people had to say. One of the things that I didn't like about the original was having to tell them to do every little thing!!! Apparently some of that has been corrected in Sims 2. An article I found that gave it a good review can be found http://tech.msn.com/games/. It helped me form my opinion anyway.  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 17 2004, 03:09 PM
does anybody know how to make two charcaters you made meet each other?, it was easy in the sims but i cant get them to meet no matter where i go with one of my characters the other one is never there  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:13 PM
cant help you there im afraid  i only just got home and its taking ages to install the game so cant play it yet maybe i have it installed before midnight  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 17 2004, 03:16 PM
well maybe somebody will learn and they can tell me, have fun once you start playing its really cool but i think my character is going to die  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 17 2004, 03:31 PM
well maybe you can look through http://forums.thesimsresource.com/forumdis...?s=&forumid=489 and see if anything helps you  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 17 2004, 04:06 PM
I would think the logical way of getting 2 created sims to meet is get the sims to meetan in game character, when they have both met the same one play as that character to introduce our user made ones or try throwing a party  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 18 2004, 08:22 AM
Right- and Kuma, you go visit community lots - they sometimes there.

I have found some bugs/flaws but nothing too major. I have been turning on/off the ageing process as I think that happens too quickly for the toddlers especially. I bought all these groceries at the shop and then my fridge was still empty and i had to order groceries home delivered- if anyone knows if there is something I doing wrong there I would be interested.

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 18 2004, 11:41 AM
It sounds everyone is having a great time with this game  Hopefully I'll pick up my copy soon  Then I can tell you all the wierd and wacky storys that come out of my computer  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 18 2004, 12:34 PM
haven't tried going to store for groceries i did mine over the phone.
I did get some clothes shopping and found you can buy different styles of same type i got 3 different lots of swimwear  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 18 2004, 12:59 PM
the party thing does not work either as you can only invite max 4 sims - well thats all it lets me invite- and you have to know them. I also could not invite people I met in community lot so I see your problem Kuma. - im sure we work it out soon as we all new at this  - and lots to learn.

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 18 2004, 02:20 PM
Woohoo. I just got my copy  Installing disc 3 atm  I am so excited, can't wait to play it.  

Posted by: Sea Unicorn Sep. 18 2004, 02:36 PM
Lucky people, I am probably getting mine on my bday  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 18 2004, 04:42 PM
i found the only way to get two sims to meet that you made so to make them live right next to each other, then when they come to greet you that sim will just show up with whoever else comes. yes they do grow up to fast but i didn't know you could turn off the ageing thing, i dont want my sims becoming elders to fast  

also a bug that i found is when your on the second level of a house everything on the buttom level doesn't show like if you can see below through the stairs, they walk over adn started washing dishes the water just comes out of nowhere if your looking from up stairs  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 19 2004, 05:15 AM
ok yes i have been successful with meeting my other created sims by greeting them as they walk past my house.

I will look out for the upstairs thing- I only have built on ground floor so far.  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 06:06 AM
for those of you who have sims 2 ... what computer do you have, because I want to know if I can run it with some details on mine. I only have geforce 4 mx440 graphics card and I think that won't be enough to run it normal!

edit: btw, is there a demo?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 06:53 AM
There is no demo.

minimum spec

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 07:02 AM
(James 24 @ Sep 19 2004, 01:53 PM)
There is no demo.

minimum spec

can yo adjust details and on wich setting do you play the game  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 07:06 AM

Posted by: wisco Sep. 19 2004, 07:56 AM

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 19 2004, 08:24 AM
i have a GEforce MX400 but my processor is only 688 instead of the minimum 800 but it still plays apart from it running bit slow and the intro movie stutters and is blocky but i can live with that just to play the game  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 19 2004, 12:42 PM
I seen the box at Wal-Mart. It looked pretty good! I think i'll get it, but I have to wait to get my alowence. If it is'nt good i'll trade it in at EB to preorder Zoo Tyccon 2!  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 02:19 PM
(wisco @ Sep 19 2004, 12:56 PM)

Here is what the game looks like with everything turned down. Still quite good  

Posted by: Megaraptor Sep. 19 2004, 03:08 PM
Are there any pets?  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 19 2004, 03:31 PM
i dont think so but i guess they will add them in an exp like in the first sims

by the way i cant find where to turn the ageing thing off how do you do it?  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 03:34 PM
The only pets I have seen so far are fish.

To turn ageing off:
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-C at the same time, a text box will apear
2. Type 'Aging off'
The press enter

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 19 2004, 03:41 PM

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 19 2004, 03:48 PM
(Kuma @ Sep 19 2004, 08:41 PM)

, that's because I took it of one of the pre built ones. My ones look terrible so far .  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 19 2004, 04:25 PM
I woulde'nt mind if one of my sims died! Because I want to see the Reaper! He's awsome!  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 01:33 AM
hey can anyone help my sim wants to see a ghost and have a near escape from death (silly woman) how to i do that when she lives by herself so i got no other sim to kill off to grant her wish  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 20 2004, 02:23 AM
I honestly have no idea  I guess it's when the reaper comes down and someone stops you there but I've never done that.

The reaper went and killed the mother of this family and now the child has been taken away somewhere and the husband is scard for life  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 09:05 AM
@RND I have not tried killing any yet- Im doing well to keep them alive at the moment  However, from the Sybex guide in order to see a ghost you need a tombstone or urn on the lot of a Sim that has passed away. With the grim reaper you need another surviving sim on the lot to plead for their life - so not sure how you going to achieve those things  

Sims 2 is extremeley interesting and the characters have lots more personality and stories to them

@ James Yikes poor man! I had one poor kid that witnessed a robbery in their home - she had awful nightmares and did terrible at school, threw tanturms all the time and was basically a real brat. Now she is a teenager and her parents got her into private school. She is now is doing well at school and even won the local spelling bee- she still has trouble making friends though.

I have not got as far as having a sim become an elder yet- I have one going to become an elder in 8 days - which means about 3 days game play for me. Her husband does not turn old for 18 days. She is pregnant and also has a child and above reformed teenager. It will be interesting to see what happens then.  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 09:12 AM
ah well looks like i will have to get someone to move in with my sim and then kill them off either that or invite a neighbour over to use the pool and then just take away the ladder till they drown i dont know why my sim wants to see a ghost or almost die she must be seriously strange   (seeing she based on me in looks and star sign and asperations that a bit worrying  )  

Posted by: Zookeeper Missie Sep. 20 2004, 09:54 AM
Wow this game sounds so much better than the first sims. My mother bought me The SIMS2 but I wont get it till my birthday, which is October 6th, so maybe I can "research" it more in depth. I'm trying to talk her into playing it. Them maybe she'll leave her computer on and I can sneak on.  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 11:12 AM
@RND-  yes wonder why they want to do that- do you want to see a ghost and have near life expericenes  ? I wonder if any of the community lots have graveyards they can go to see ghosts?

My family is now in bigger problems- they have twins now and the whole family has turned totally dysfunctional, everything is breaking down, the reformed teenager is back to her tantrums - and I have no idea how to get it under control
Oh plus an old flame of the wife turned up at the twins birhday party and now they not talking to each other and he wont sleep in same bed with her. They have -20 relationship now. sigh

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 11:29 AM
i bought the expensive telescope for one of my sims to stargaze he looked at it and he got abducted by aliens and now just had a baby  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 20 2004, 11:58 AM

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 20 2004, 12:02 PM
(Coeur de lion @ Sep 20 2004, 04:58 PM)

yes i did and now someone tells me  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 20 2004, 03:45 PM
i have 7 poeple all living in one house  its crazy

and by the way the money cheat is motherlode  

Posted by: Tasmanian_tiger Sep. 20 2004, 05:48 PM
I must say. The sims 1 got me hooked for only a short period. I didn't like to give all the orders like go to the bathroom, eat, etc.. It got a little boring. But Sims 2 sounds interesting. Do you still have to look a lot to them doing bathing and eating, etc..?  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 20 2004, 07:11 PM
they still have those needs but they seem to be filled a lot easier plus the AI for the sims is much improved so they will take care of these things much better  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 20 2004, 07:34 PM
The adults seem to take care of their needs much better- and I have found it manageable in small family. When you have a large family it seems more complicated as everyone is trying to do everything at once - so a lot of time wasting - for example: 2 adults and a nanny might go to feed a toddler- then spend a few minutes picking up and putting it down- until someone actually does it.
The kids themselves are a bit of work. Every toddler I have just wants to play in the toilet and splash in puddles- which according to the guide is a sign of their immaturity and may continue this behaviour into other life stages  You are supposed to stop them doing this by having their aspirations high- but even when they on platinum they still do this in my game.

When they are kids and teenagers I have no idea how to get them to do their homework by themselves- this also is hard work to manage.

Also there is no easy way to tell you out of groceries without clicking on the fridge- so the babies and toddlers yell until the delivery man gets there

Anyway, if you dont want to do a lot of clicking and controlling them , just have a small family !!!!

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 20 2004, 07:40 PM
i really dont like the old poeple in my sims family  most of my sims have jobs so i dont have to control them all the time, but i just dont like having the old sims around then i wouldn't have as many sims to control anyway  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 21 2004, 02:13 AM
dont you just hate the teenagers they worse than real teanagers all they do is moan and slump around the house and trying to get them to school is murder  

Posted by: Kuma Sep. 21 2004, 02:30 AM
i think the teenagers are cool and they always go to school and do there homework easy for me  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 21 2004, 12:32 PM
New flash: The husband of the wife who died and the child got taken a way has died himself  

I try to replace the fridge when it get's down to around 50, usually using the computer or phone I never go shopping .

I've got my young Sims to do homework but sometimes I find it best to have an adult help them with it  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 22 2004, 01:38 AM
Does anyones kids do their homework on own ie:without clicking on it for do homework? Mine come in from school dump it on the floor and go off to play and would glady forget about it altogether without my intervention. Sometimes I have to hunt to find where they dumped it so I can click on it for them to do it.

I found out if someone helps them through one full homework assignment, in future they do it quicker- but I have never seen a kid go to the homework by themselves and do it.

Also something interesting for those that do not know - most of the premade families already living in the neighbourhood are there as "tutorials" to show you different features of the game and the different cinematics you can view.
For example: In Strangeville - You can play the Specter family to view the ghost animations and to see what happens when someone dies of old age, Play the Beaker family to view a nervous breakdown and the Siims pychiatrist visit, the Curios family- see a Sim aducted by aliens and also give birth to an alien and the Grunt family to see how you can use the obstacle course to quickly gain body points and also see the military helicopter pick a sim up to go to work.
They are designed so if you play them correcly you see these features within 2 sim days!!

All the neighbourhoods have different families to show different features and its quite cool  If anyone wants to know what other families are supposed to do just let me know and i tell you - its all in the Sybex guide here  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 01:47 AM
ive heard that bella goth is hiding in strangetown somewhere and i wonder if we are meant to find her and try to get her back home sort of a mini quest within the game ive also just learnt how to build a 5 story house including basement now i just trying to figure out how to make the basement so you are able to put stuff on the walls  

Posted by: wisco Sep. 22 2004, 02:44 PM
how many sims can you control in the game. its a question for a contest. then I can win the sims 2  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 03:08 PM

Posted by: wisco Sep. 22 2004, 03:12 PM

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 22 2004, 03:14 PM
same as the first one 8  

Posted by: rednotdead Sep. 22 2004, 03:21 PM
(wisco @ Sep 22 2004, 08:12 PM)
one at a time  and as many as you have in a family (by switching between them same as sims 1)  

you didnt say that part  otherwisse i would of said the same as CDL (max no of people in a family)  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 22 2004, 04:19 PM
Im getting Sims 2 on the weekend! Can't wait!  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 22 2004, 04:33 PM

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 23 2004, 05:49 AM
(James 24 @ Sep 22 2004, 03:33 PM)

I just hope I can amke a good house and the sims can afford it... Because I played the sims on Gamecube once but when I tryed to make a house for them they just couldent afford it! And im glad the sims have more intellingence now... I don't want to tell them to go use the toilet...  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 24 2004, 04:53 PM
Usually it is best to make the family then make a empty lot, move them into that and then build the house:)  

Posted by: dinwrest Sep. 24 2004, 07:18 PM
I am the cheat master , cheats on the first day  I have a 2 HUGE families one has a toddler boy , a child boy, a teenage girl , a mom and dad, and grandpa the other has 2 tenage boys , a child girl and boy , a toddler girl , a mom a dad, and their room mate (father of the toddler).  

Posted by: Doshi The Yoshi Sep. 25 2004, 04:15 PM
I need help... I was turing off the background tasks but they kept coming back and then eventually my computer restarted itself! Please help...

EDIT: I figured out the problem I shuted off the ones with not my user name on them I did'nt but then I read the insurtion book and figured it out  

Posted by: lthill Sep. 26 2004, 01:25 PM
   I got it. I love it. Had to wait for it to come in the mail but I got it for 39.99 and no shipping costs. That was great. Spending all my time playing now.  

Posted by: jediliz Sep. 27 2004, 11:28 AM

Posted by: kittyboy1# Sep. 27 2004, 08:28 PM
(jediliz @ Sep 27 2004, 10:28 AM)

i do and i LOVE it  

Posted by: Aussie Koala Sep. 27 2004, 09:10 PM
Don't worry jediliz, you eventually get there- I had all those issues too but now mastering - well maybe not mastering- but overcoming them  - just trying different things and tactics you soon sort it out- keep going and you will have that kid in private school before long.

I had a problem once when the headmaster would not even get out of the car to come to my house- so I put it down to either having the buffet table or some trash in yard. Not quite sure there but once both those things cleared up he came in and all was well. Do not invite him until you have a sim with a high cooking skill also - and a bar there help for the schmoozing- well thats helped me anyway  

Posted by: caribou_caro Sep. 29 2004, 12:57 PM
I got it last week and I'm really enjoying it. I bought the DVD version to begin with, but we just couldn't get it to run, so I took it back to Wal-mart and exchanged it for the CD which works fine. I find what I like best is having so many interaction options, especially in bed - you can relax, read, daydream by yourself, or you can cuddle, kiss, make out, or woohoo with someone else. The Aspiration Reward things seem ok but I haven't got alot of benefit from them yet, except maybe the love tub. AK, did you try having some toys around for your toddler to play with instead of splashing in the toilet? They can earn creativity points from the xylophone, or logic points from the blocks. One other great thing about Sims2 is that personal needs take a more reasonable amount of time, and your Sim can actually fulfill needs at work - my DJ gets a full social bar just from working.  

Posted by: Coeur de lion Sep. 29 2004, 01:30 PM
I like the fact your needs can increase at work, mine gets social and fun in the athletics career plus he always has a meal  

Posted by: James 24 Sep. 29 2004, 05:51 PM
I just wish they had a coffee machine at work, one day my sim was really tired and went to work and when he got home he collapsed on the floor. Darn toddler.  

Posted by: gysca Sep. 30 2004, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting the game, it looks very good.... could you guys (who already own the game) tell me the difference between the DVD and CD version? I don't find anything in thesims.com BBS, beside the DVD version sometimes make conflict and won't install. I'm also afraid that if I get the game, it won't run OK because my PC's kind of old (about 3 years old). the spec of my PC is P4 2 GHz, 1.5 GHz RAM, 80 GB hd (62 GB free space), 64 MB video card (NVidia GeForce 2 MX 200). I think the sound card is built in. thanks in advance  

Posted by: sheila77 Oct. 1 2004, 11:20 AM
I just got the DVD version, and it runs fine on my computer. I have A LOT less ram than you do (only 256 MB). My processor is a just a little faster than yours but I think you should be fine with what you have. I would try getting the DVD version if you want it, and then if it doesn't work you can try taking it back, like what caribou_caro did. Some places won't allow that though, so I guess see what the return policy is for the store where you plan on getting it first. They say there are some extras with the DVD version, but what it all entails I'm not sure of. I haven't had much time to play it since I bought it, unfortunately.  

Posted by: James 24 Oct. 1 2004, 03:34 PM
gysca, 1.5GB of ram? That seems alot for 3 years ago, mine only has 384mb and was 3 years old. Are you sure you didn't get it confused with something else?

Apart from that everything looks ok, geforce 2 getting a bit dated though now and most probably will force you to play on low 800x600. New graphics card are pretty a cheep. A geforce fx5200 or a radeon9200 are pretty cheap and would do the job

Concerning DVD or CD. CD comes on 4cds and dvd comes on 1dvd with bonuses. Depends if your pc has a dvd drive  

Posted by: gysca Oct. 2 2004, 10:15 AM
uh.. yeah.. 1.5 GB (not GHz! heheh) of RAM... I'm not confusing it with any other part of the computer.. actually when we (hubby n me) wrote the requested spec (for the store to build it), the tech support people asked us why we need that much RAM.. my hubby calmly said he want to have a computer with as much power possible to last at least 5 years or so, plus at that time he plans to have a server, plus I have a bad habit of opening lots of windows.. the store people kinda forced us to stay "low" with 1 GB RAM at that time, but a few month after that my hubby found a cheap 512 MB stick, so he bought it &  voila! 1.5 GB of RAM  ...we're thinking of getting a new video card, but my hubby said it's time to get a new comp? hehe... still deciding ^_^

but anyway, enough story.... so I have to decide between 4 CDs and 1 DVD huh? there's no other known differences (pros & contras?) than that? I'll probably take the DVD... thanks James24 & sheila77 for replying.  

Posted by: James 24 Oct. 2 2004, 10:27 AM
The DVD version also comes with some extras not avaliable on the cd version  

Posted by: Pangeia King Oct. 2 2004, 01:12 PM
i recently got this game and there is one word to desbribe it: EXCELLENT!!!!!  

Posted by: lthill Oct. 13 2004, 10:35 PM
I got it and I love it. The Sims2 takes the game to a whole new level. I is better than life because if you don't save you can do it all over again. I made Sims of the Simpsons and The King of the Hill families. Its great      

Posted by: rednotdead Oct. 14 2004, 01:15 AM
i,ve just been notified that i won a sims 2 dvd from entering a competition at the sims2 uk official site yeah im really excited cos i love playing the game and now im getting the dvd version which isint on sale in the UK yet  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 14 2004, 03:51 PM
Congratulations, Red!
I've had the game for two or so weeks. It runs slow on my PC but its otherwise an excellent game.  

Posted by: ANIME-NIAC Oct. 17 2004, 07:22 PM
I dont have it but when i do get it I want the dvd because from what I read on the box it has tips on making movies.
And I really want Mad House to be a good sitcom.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 17 2004, 10:16 PM
I know that it has been asked several times before, but what extras does the DVD version come with? I got the game for my birthday, but the givers didn't know if I had a DVD drive or not, so I have the CD version. What am I missing out on?  

Posted by: jediliz Oct. 17 2004, 10:19 PM
asthmatic,

there's a bonus disk that came with the game. I didn't really explore it much. But one advantage of the DVD rom version is that the whole installation of the game was one disk and not 4 (is that how many came with the CD edition?). They were priced the same, so I thought I'd get the DVD version cause I had a DVD Rom. But I got more memory a few weeks ago cause the game was sluggish for me.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 17 2004, 10:25 PM
Yes, there were 4 CDs but that didn't bother me much. Since you say that the gameplay is more sluggish, I'm glad that I have the CD version. But what I really want to know is what is on that enigmatic bonus disk...  

Posted by: rednotdead Oct. 18 2004, 01:13 AM
included on the bonus dvd disc are

interviews with the sims2 experts - get essential hints and game-play strategies from the makeres of the game
the sims 2 film school 101 - learn movie making tips, tricks and special effects
the sims 2 movies and outtakes, watch films made in game, hilarious bloopers and rare vintage ads from the sims.
exclusive digital goodies, decorate yur desktop, IM or website with brand new The sims 2 assets.  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Oct. 18 2004, 03:20 AM
Well, then the only thing of that that I would really like would be the movie making stuff, so its OK that I got the CD version.  

Posted by: Captain Nemo Nov. 17 2004, 04:54 PM
I have the sims 2 it's really cool!  

Posted by: TigerTail Nov. 17 2004, 10:04 PM
I own Sims2, really its my brothers, but he's nice and lets me play!  

Posted by: asthmatic_hyena Nov. 17 2004, 11:23 PM
One thing about the game that I don't like is the lack of objective. You spend a while raising stats to max, and then what? He/she dies and you start from scratch? I turned off aging to prevent that, but I would like to see Maxis include some sort of objective, or scenario, with defined goals. I enjoy games more when there is a feeling of achievement from completing the challenge.  

Posted by: Sea Unicorn Nov. 20 2004, 12:26 AM
I have it and you could use those hacked objects to max their motives and aspiration. In the hacks and objects section of downloads at http://www.modthesims2.com  

Posted by: TigerTail Nov. 25 2004, 08:40 AM
AH, pre-made neighbor hoods sort of have a senario, try one!  

Posted by: Captain Winkie Winkie Nov. 26 2004, 07:48 PM
I begged my mom to get it but she told me I had to wait until Christmas... Or maybe even after that because it might be a while until we can get back to America for the holidays... But I got a sneak preview disk and I've played it through and through...

Offline Calico Kitten

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
Dude! I'm lucky! I Got the DVD issue!

Offline dinwrest

• Zookeeper
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »
What's so special about the DVD edition ? It's 10$ more so I'm guessing worth 10 $.

I have the normal one . I created a family with my frinends from school , maybe next time I might make a whole bunch of family/friends together (this time all as adults instead of teens)

Offline Thief of Souls

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 07:09:07 PM »
1.Its the same price
2. It is one disc
3. It has extra feature

Kaze_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 09:54:11 PM »
I want it so bad, I've played it. That makes the want even worse. It doesn't come out for a while for my computer, I have a mac...

troublemaker232

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 05:04:19 PM »
I love the sims ands the sims 2 . I,play the sims 2 everyday. The sad part is I just cant play the sims 1 anymore. The sims 2 is just too cool. But I dont have the heart to uninstall sims 1. But the dvd edition is really no differnt than the regular. :rolleyes:

Offline Calico Kitten

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 02:13:09 PM »
I terrified myself on the sims 2. My family set the grill on fire and i turned it off scaredthat the family woud become a death area

Offline dinwrest

• Zookeeper
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 11:43:18 AM »
On about Saturday I got the expansion , there was a bug but my mother (who has godly computer powers) fixed it. Now I jsut bought more ram and I'm about to play

Offline kestera

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »
i love sims 2 and the expansion pack. i have been playing for a quite  while . you will love it too.

Offline caribou_caro

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
I've got Sims 2 but was wondering if anyone has the expansion yet?

Offline CanineDude_55

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 05:12:36 AM »
Well another Sims 2 expansion is coming out. You can take your sims downtown to party at night etc.

Here's a link
The Sims 2 - Nightlife

Offline kestera

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »
i love sims two and the unvierstiy i can't wait for the  night life to come out!

Offline Purring Tiger

• Marine Biologist
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 02:30:55 PM »
I plan on getting the Sims 2, but I don't have the money now, and if I wait a while the price might go down a bit. :lol

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 06:13:10 AM »
I have the Sims 2 and I'm addicted  :lol

I started playing the Caliente sisters last night and both of them got pregnant...Nina by Don is in day 3 and should give birth anytime...Dina gave birth to twin boys- Sam and Griffin...their father is Mortimer..(I just wanted twins, I didn't care who fathered them..and she loved him soooo)

Offline kestera

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »
Does anyone have the university pack?
I have been playing the pleasent twins and their  boyfriends  in university