Author Topic: Game Maker!  (Read 14488 times)

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Game Maker!
« on: January 03, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »
Does anybody have it? And if so, what kind of games did you make? I have version 6.1 and I've made a couple games. Such as, Bally, a simple adventure game in which you go around collectiong cupcakes and slurpees while dodging electric and spiky bad guys. :P I've also made Punt Men. A pong related game except you control two men as ping pong paddles while bouncing a ball around a room and trying to hit pesky birds and turtles. Dooby is another game I've made, in it, you're a helicopter looking thing that fires bullets at bad guys while rescuing stick figures. There's a boss at the end of each stage too. And I'm also making another adventure game in which you pick up weaponary and defeat weird looking bad guys! Discuss!!!! :w00t

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Game Maker!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »
:lol, well Kiwibuddy already knows this, but I use gamemaker a bunch too. I have made 3 completed and good games, and then numerous bad games that I made when I wasn't very good. My best and most professional game is called Bee Dodger. Its simple but I enjoy it. Right now I am working on "Animal Games" where you play as different animals in a bunch of mini-games. :)

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Game Maker!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »
Originally posted by penguinman@Jan 3 2006, 06:38 PM
Right now I am working on "Animal Games" where you play as different animals in a bunch of mini-games. :)
I'm also making my own version of penguinman's Animal Games. Except it's ZT2 style! :lol After I finish, I'll make a ES one too! :lol  :P

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Game Maker!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
I'm making a tycoon-like game called Dino Theme Park. Since you can't program guests in Game Maker, I just made the user have unlimited money.  :lol

Offline ky300

• Zookeeper
  • I got the master plan!
    • http://www.geocities.com/pocketc/kylescoolpage.html?1134233265890
Game Maker!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
awsome where did you find the gamemaker? :w00t

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Game Maker!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »
Here ya go ky! Game Maker Pages You can either buy the registered version online, or download it for free! It's just that the free version doesn't have as much stuff in the registered version. Xtreme, WOW! You're making a zoo (well in this case, dino theme park!) game!? I've tried that and failed instantly! :(  :lol What dinos are in it? :huh

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Game Maker!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »
Tycoon games are EXTREMELY hard to make, but they can be pulled off. I'm nowhere near done, but I expect to finish it before 2006 is half over.

So far, I've got the following list:

Albertosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Apatosaurus
Camarasaurus
Dromeosaur
Fukuiraptor
Giganotosaurus
Joboria
Lilieniasternus
Othnelia
Pteranodon
Sinraptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Troodon
Triceratops
Vulcanodon

I also have a few dinosaurs you can get from cheat codes, such as the Llamasaurus (A dinosaur that looks like a llama), and the V-rex (From King Kong)

Offline ChaosBlade

• Pooper Scooper
Game Maker!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »
Originally posted by Xtreme@Jan 3 2006, 07:28 PM
Tycoon games are EXTREMELY hard to make, but they can be pulled off. I'm nowhere near done, but I expect to finish it before 2006 is half over.

So far, I've got the following list:

Albertosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Apatosaurus
Camarasaurus
Dromeosaur
Fukuiraptor
Giganotosaurus
Joboria
Lilieniasternus
Othnelia
Pteranodon
Sinraptor
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Troodon
Triceratops
Vulcanodon

I also have a few dinosaurs you can get from cheat codes, such as the Llamasaurus (A dinosaur that looks like a llama), and the V-rex (From King Kong)
What's the difference between the V-rex and the T-rex?

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Game Maker!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
V-rex is about twice the size.

Offline Electric Eel

• Snow Tigers
  • Zookeeper
Game Maker!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »
Wow, Xtreme, your game sounds cool! :) I just tried using game maker and I didn't get it at all. :rolleyes

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Game Maker!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 05:42:39 PM »
That's what I was like at first. I had all sorts of trouble. Read the help manual! Once you get the hang of it, you can make great games zippety quick! I'm still learning and only use about a quarter of the available events/actions you can use! :lol

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
Game Maker!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »
Ohh! I have it! But I've only made one game called N00b Slayer. You control various weapons and try to kill asmany news as possible. Xtreme, please post a few pics and post som ips if you have time. I'd like to see you're sprites and stuff.

Offline Xtreme

• Game Warden
Game Maker!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 06:56:44 PM »
Here you go! Sorry about the white blotches on the dinosaurs, I don't know how to fix that.

Offline Peregrine Falcon

• Zookeeper
  • Avian Fanatic!
    • Mount Zephyr
Game Maker!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »
Good job! you might try cutting around the eges of the spirit (sp?) for the dino to get rid of the white. ;)
Edit: Oh yes, I do have gamemaker but am probably trying to make too complicated games at once....... :><

Offline Xenomorph

• Pooper Scooper
Game Maker!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »
I am an intermediate gamemaker. I have made many games. I made a war of the worlds game with great graphics, you pilot the machine and the point of view is in the cockpit. You fire the laser and fry people and the army. You have limited health though. I also made a game called Spybot: Search and Destroy (based off that program). YOu guide a spybot to destroy viruses and defrost computer freezes. Eventualy you get to the center of the comp and destroy the mega virus queen.

Here you go! Sorry about the white blotches on the dinosaurs, I don't know how to fix that.
dont save the dinosaur sprites as JPG, save as PNG or BMP. Tranparent settings problem. (i like the Idea of the Vastatosaurus rex, how about a Venatosaurus?)

Offline Spyder

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Game Maker!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »
I've got it, but I can't make any good games. Stuff like simple mazes and maybe platform games.

Offline ky300

• Zookeeper
  • I got the master plan!
Game Maker!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
I got it and made a pckmanlike game but how do you make the charactor go to the next room once he is done getting all the "stuff".
After wourds, all I can do to protect my self ( although I lose pointd doing so) is to cram the ghost into the wall.

He stops and I just get bord
dont save the dinosaur sprites as JPG, save as PNG or BMP.
No, gif does best.
will you release it any ware once your done? It looks so cool aspecialy considering it's one man made. :lol  Maybe I can test it when it's ready to test. :)
I'm trying to make one myself too! :lol

image removed as it caused the forum to scroll please read rules on image sizes.

Offline Peregrine Falcon

• Zookeeper
  • Avian Fanatic!
    • Mount Zephyr
Game Maker!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 09:04:49 AM »
I've got it, but I can't make any good games. Stuff like simple mazes and maybe platform games.
I cant get the gravity right for platform games. what should you set it for? :huh

Offline kiwibuddy

• Marine Biologist
  • Takahe
Game Maker!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 01:09:15 PM »
I'm not totally sure, I've got it to work but not like, jumping kinda stuff. But what I did in one of my games is when you defeat a bad guy, they blow up into a bunch of pieces. The pieces have gravity set on them. I made their direction 270, and set the gravity to 1. Hope this helps. ;) Now, I have a problem. How do you make a life bar? Points bar? etc. I've been dieing to know!

Offline Peregrine Falcon

• Zookeeper
  • Avian Fanatic!
    • Mount Zephyr
Game Maker!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 01:32:14 PM »
Now, I have a problem. How do you make a life bar? Points bar? etc. I've been dieing to know!
Oh, man, Same!

Offline ky300

• Zookeeper
  • I got the master plan!
Game Maker!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »
Originally posted by kiwibuddy@Jan 6 2006, 03:09 PM
I'm not totally sure, I've got it to work but not like, jumping kinda stuff. But what I did in one of my games is when you defeat a bad guy, they blow up into a bunch of pieces. The pieces have gravity set on them. I made their direction 270, and set the gravity to 1. Hope this helps. ;) Now, I have a problem. How do you make a life bar? Points bar? etc. I've been dieing to know!
haha! :w00t in my new game side scroller  the main charactor(an galliumimus) bounds all the time when he walks. except for when he 's in the boss level. he turns one way, and he walks normal. He turns the other way, and he floots. :huh  really dumb. :erm
but anyways...

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Game Maker!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »
First Question: How do you make a platform game? This has taken me forever to master and its still not right. I am working on a pack-man platform game where I got it, but I could't really say how I did it :lol

As for the life bars, I saw someone do lots of mini life bars, but I dunno how to do that. You can make a life bar by using the score tab and selecting the draw the life bar.

You can download my best and finished game, Bee Dodger,

Also you can download my unfinished game called Animal Games
And my other in progress game, Pacman Attack  Since this one is still in testing and only has a few levels, you can press + to go to the next level.

EDIT: If you download them, please tell me what you think, especially whether or not I should continue the Animal Games and Pacman game.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 11:20:37 PM by RedNotDead »

Offline adam1990

• Senior Zookeeper
    • Zoo Tycoon 101
Game Maker!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 05:26:40 PM »
Where can you get this game?

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!