Author Topic: Downloading & Galapagos tortiose Glitch  (Read 2352 times)

Silvertab

Downloading & Galapagos tortiose Glitch
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:17:56 AM »
I Can't find anything close enough to help on the forum.
When i try to adopt a Galapagos Giant tortoise and occaisionly the Florida Panther and the Komodo Dragon. I go to place them in an exhibit, when i click on the picture of it or place it in my zoo the computer crashes and it says that there is a file and it needs debuging or something.
I sent an email to microsoft and did the disc Fragmenting, disc cleanup, Norton Anti-Virus and many others and it still doesn't work. Please reply soon because I've had the add on pack for about 3-4 months and i really want to adopt a tortoise. Also how do you stop downloaded games overwriting other games, i've deleted it and it still happens because i don't know where to put it because i haven't got the 'saves' or the 'downloads' file that other Admins talk about. :help

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:06:31 AM »
This is a not-so-rare glitch in the game, unfortunately. You can try uninstalling and re-installing (making sure to save your Options and Saved zoo folders first). This is a topic elsewhere on it. Plus, you can use your Search button to find yet other topics.

Silvertab

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:49:57 AM »
I've tried that before and it still didn't work, thanks for trying, do you know how to make the 'saved' & 'downloads' folders show, I've already tried that show hidden files thing and it didn't work, i'm beginning to think that i've just got a rubbish computer!!

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:04:56 PM »
You're probably looking in the wrong places. The Saved folder is in: C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAMEGOESHERE\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\Default Profile\Saved.

The Downloads folder is in a different place: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\downloads . If you don't have one, you can create it. But, if you have ZT2, you will undoubtedly have it, because that's where the Official Downloads are.

Silvertab

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:02:41 AM »
Thanks  I found 'saved' but i can't find 'downloads' but the downloads work floating around just in the Zoo Tycoon 2 file: :) :

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 07:40:16 AM »
I disagree with csleesburg.  My ZT2 downloads are near the saved games - this is the path I have: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\downloads.

The red part is the only difference between downloads and saved games/pictures

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
Quote from: tazlover
I disagree with csleesburg.  My ZT2 downloads are near the saved games - this is the path I have: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2\downloads.

The red part is the only difference between downloads and saved games/pictures

No, it isn't. Downloads, in a normal set-up, go into the ZT2 Folder under Programs\Microsoft Games. "All Users" simply means that all users of the computer can play the game. Most people don't have theirs set up that way - they set up their own profile under their own name. If yours works that way, fine, but that's not the common way to do it. :ermm:

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »
Actually, this is where the game set up my downloads folder, not me.  In fact it is the same path as referenced in the pinned post "folder for new animals and objects ".  It may work your way, but it is not the way the game creates it.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 05:57:16 PM »
Sorry to say CSL you are wrong.

When you install Windows to a system windows makes the folders in the Documents and settings. I have just did a recent format and install for windows. and it created 3 folders - All Users - Default Ueser - Wendy

To locate the downloads folder you have to use the All Users folder and look in the Application Data subfolder.

When you are trying to locate the photos or saved folder you have to use the usename folder(Wendy) and look in an Application Data subfolder also located in the username folder and the photos and saved folder are in the Default Profile Subfolder under Microsoft Games.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 06:01:32 PM »
Well, sorry, then. I was mistaken. :blushing: BUT - when I installed MY game, it did just as I said. One folder/one place/one profile. Maybe because there's only me on my computer? Sorry, though.

Offline Wolf's Rain

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »
I have the same problem. Is there a way to uninstall a paritcular expansion pack? I can't find my original ZT2 disc, but i can find my ES and AA disc. I don't know what else to do.

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »
I don't believe there is any way to uninstall just the expansions.  I had the same problem installing AA and when I used the ES disc to uninstall it took out the whole game.  If you honestly lost the disc, try calling Microsoft Tech Support (should be no fee) and see if they will replace it for you.  You will need the PID (product id number) and to find this, put the ES disc in the cd drive and it will be on the first screen to come up.

For the record - I think the problem comes from having the game install to a location other than the default spot Microsoft chose (ie C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Zoo Tycoon 2).  That was the only difference between when I installed it originally and when I reinstalled it.  I also was able to install the patch without a problem.

Offline Wolf's Rain

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:36:06 PM »
OK, does anybody know if you need a code on the CD case to install it? I finally found the CD, but not the case.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:53:55 PM by Wolf's Rain »

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 08:39:36 PM »
No, you don't have to enter a code to install ZT2 or any of the expansions.  :happy:

Offline Wolf's Rain

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »
Yay, thanks so much Peacenote!

Well, i reinstalled the game to the C drive instead of the D drive. Now, my Galapagose Giant Tortoise works, but now something is seriously wrong with the graphics! Now some of the animals are pure black or white. The text is hard to read. And, this is the freaky part, all of the guests are walking around without shirts! This has never happened before!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:41:39 PM by Wolf's Rain »

Offline tazlover

• Zookeeper
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 05:57:17 PM »
There is a patch for that - here - which has been updated so if you installed it before today, it is recommended that you reinstall the patch.

Offline Wolf's Rain

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 02:12:04 PM »
OK, i installed the patch. Everything worked for a while, but then i tried to put a Galapagose Giant Tortoise in a zoo with downloadable animals, and the game crashed. So, i'm going to reintall it again, and see what happens