Author Topic: Any one know if and how we can re-size trees?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Any one know if and how we can re-size trees?
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »
Hi.

I didn't see this anywhere in the other topuc titles. Is it possible to re-size them. Or is it extermely difficult? If I could get a guide, if anyone has done it yet. It'd be a thanks in advance. :original:

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »
Yes, it is possible.

In the main XML file search for "model". Then near the end of the line but before it closes add scale="number"   any number above 1 will make it bigger and a .number will make it smaller.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »
It's very easy to re-size a tree. Just change the numbers in the tree's ai file. The one thing you can't change, though, is the shadow it casts, which is strange if you make a tree much smaller (like our dwarf trees) or huge. But that's not really a big problem, mostly.:smile:

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
Acually, you can change that too and if you look at the dwarf trees the shadows are smaller :).

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »
Ahhh it's that easy eh?
Now could you tell me where "main XML file search" Or direct me to the topic that describes how to get there and how to save this into the game? Thanks :grouphug

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:12:27 AM »
Are you trying to resize an existing tree or make a user made one with a different size?

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 02:57:31 PM »
Meh',I just want to re-size exsiting trees, to give my game a little more variety. Pleeeaaaseee tell me that's the easy route. :original:

Woah okay before I blow my computer up this is how far i got. I downloaded winzip and I used the extract button and opened up entities this brough up bought everything in the game. I found all the mangrove files which was  7. Okay so what should I do with these files now or am I allll confused?
Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:19:11 PM by chameleongeek »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:19:13 AM »
Ok, well first of all, if you have ES you will HAVE to open the x100_000 file for any plant and if you have AA you will have to open the x110_000 file for any non-es plant.

Then go to entities/objects/foliage/ai and find the one you want. Now open the .xml in notepad and follow the steps I said above.

If you need more help, just ask.

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »
Okay so i went into program files. Found the 110_000 file. When I double click it asks. Windows cannot open this file. So I select the program from a list to open it, in which I use wiz-zip. Now I have  all the files. Okay this is the part that confuses me. I extracted all the x110_000 files to My documents and under the Entities file.  I click Entities-Objects- Folige- ai, then it gives me a task folder, when I click on that it brings up the following folders-
animals
food
shelters
enrichment
guests.
No Foliage folders.
Then another problem i'm having is when I go into notepad and try to find the  .xml file all I get is folders that lead to nothing. I'm saving all this stuff under My documents so it's easy to find. Should I save it somewhere else? Thanks you again Penguinman:smile:

Okay something just dawned on me. i think I will need to create new foliage instead of exsiting ones. If I change the size of it it's not going to give me another tree plus the original one is it? Bleh, you have your volunteer work cut out for you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 10:14:05 AM by chameleongeek »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 11:24:41 AM »
Ok first off, if trying to change it for existing trees, you don't acually want to extract it.

But, it sounds like you don't want to do that since yes, if you want different sizes you will have to create a whole new tree, which is quite complex.

Here is what I would recomend:
Start by making a new scenery object using the OCT tutorial (it is at the ZT2 DC after you become a member).

then when you finish that, try a tree and I can help you with a few things. Trees are similar to objects, but harder, so it is MUCH better to start with an object.

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 11:45:03 AM »
chameleongeek, I can help you, also, since I do a lot of the foliage for the DT. When you've extracted your x100_000 files, the foliage is found under Entitities\Objects\Foliage. There will be a file for the tree (e.g. YellowCedar). Copy that to YOUR folders, to work on. Then, still in the same place, go into the ai folder that's there and get the xml file, which will also be called YellowCedar. Under Your Folders, make a separate folder called ai and put your copy of it there.

Now, you should have your OWN folder called (e.g. PinkCedar). Inside of that folder, there should be 3 other folders. Entities\Objects\Foliage (which holds the YellowCedar and ai files you copied); lang (containing a folder called 1033); ui (this is where the zoopedia lives).

That's the correct 'set-up' for the folder layout. Post again if you have any other questions. :original:

Offline chameleongeek

• Zookeeper
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 10:37:48 AM »
:laughing: Hey I just got over a bad bout of the flu :sick: I will try that. i'll first try to re-size and existing on then when i become a memeber (or am i alrady there) I'll download that tutorial and create all new ones.