Author Topic: AA Editing  (Read 2072 times)

Offline conservationkid

• Zookeeper
    • http://
AA Editing
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:28:23 PM »
hi guys, i don't mean to be annoying, but i have tried so many time editing my AA animal files, with winRAR, and i use notepad, but every time i  go to save the changes that i made, it gives me this message cannot create (really long path), please make sure that the path and file name are correct, i don't know what to do, for fear of ruining my game, but i can edit flawlessly, all the ES and original animals, someone please help me

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
AA Editing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
Quote from: conservationkid
hi guys, i don't mean to be annoying, but i have tried so many time editing my AA animal files, with winRAR, and i use notepad, but every time i  go to save the changes that i made, it gives me this message cannot create (really long path), please make sure that the path and file name are correct, i don't know what to do, for fear of ruining my game, but i can edit flawlessly, all the ES and original animals, someone please help me

Well, it can't have been too long, since it's only been out for 2 weeks! :laughing: As to the path and such, You didn't say what you are using to edit your animal files. Also, since none of the designers have done so yet, we don't really know what's required to edit them. If you're only talking about doing ES animals, then use Sideshow Bob's APE II, which is available in our Downloads database. :original:

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
AA Editing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 05:31:13 PM »
He means editing current animals to change the number of babies.

All files are in read-only format in AA, so that is why. How to fix? I don't know other than to save the whole file to your desktop, then make it not read-only, and then zip it back into a .z2f file and make it the EXACT same name as the first file.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
AA Editing
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
That's what I had to do: I had to go in and select all of the files it and un check the read-only box...I can now edit animals, but unfortunately I can't start a new zoo using the maps that came with AA. I can play games on those maps that I started BEFORE doing that, but I don't know why it did that. Use EXTREME caution if you are going to go this route...

Offline Dandelion Mane

• Zookeeper
AA Editing
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:51:11 PM »
Here is what I do. I make a new folder in a new folder. I save the read only file in  the folder in the folder. It gives me the message. I save it in the new folder that contains the new folder where the file is in.

Offline Sandy87

• Pooper Scooper
AA Editing
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
This one's actually EXTREMELY easy to fix. Just open the folder where your files that you're editing are, right-click on the file (you can even hi-lite all the files and right-click change them all at once), and select "Properties". Now, see the checkbox next to the words "Read-Only"? Uncheck it. Presto, the file can be editted.

I'm currently working on editing the AA Caracal (just got to get the reskinning done now), and it uses APE II's instructions exactly. Just like ES, no problem.