Author Topic: Okay, so, more varient trouble.  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Wolfeh

• Pooper Scooper
Okay, so, more varient trouble.
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:34:49 PM »
I attempted to make a blue wolf, just as a test. Here's the file WolfGray_Adult_2.dds after being edited in DXTbmp.

Here's what it comes up as in my games.

Closing up like that, you can see some of the blue. From further away, it's just completely black.

..what did I do?

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »
The color you are using is probably one that requires higher graphics. That said, the game gives more details to things that you are closer to, explaining why it is more blue the closer you are. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the main problem is that its just a color that the game won't render correctly. Whenever I do my skins, I always have to go back and redo them a couple of times, because the game doesn't see the colors the same way graphics programs can. There is probably a more limited range of colors that the game can produce compared to your graphics program, which would cause that to happen.

Also, moving to ZT2 Editing, so hang on!

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:54:23 PM »
That is very odd... I think Mika probably knows more about this than I do, but one thing that occured to me could be the .dds format that you save it as. Which one do you use?

Offline Wolfeh

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:27:06 AM »
Sorry about putting in the wrong thread!

Anyways, that may be the problem I suppose. I did an okapi which was a green colour that had the same problem.

Also, penguinman(thank you for all of your help by the way!) I believe I saved them all as "DDS DXT 1".

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 09:09:06 AM »
Unfortunately.. i think DXT1 usually works. Try the one I always use: DXT3, but I have a feeling that wont help..

Offline Wolfeh

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »
Alright, I'll try that in a little while. Do you think it could be the program I'm using? (ArcSoft PhotoStudio)

I tried a yellow-ish tiger, because I figured maybe the game could read a light yellow? But no. Same result. I took a screenshot of the tiger as well, if any wants to see.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
I don't think it has to do with the program you are using...can you please tell me how you are recoloring? Are you using a blending mode or some sort of transparency settings? If you are doing all of these colors with the same method, it could be that method which is causing the game to not read it correctly.

Offline Wolfeh

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 01:55:55 PM »
Hmm, that may be it. I'm just going to the "Enhance" menu, "Hue and Saturation", and messing with the hue.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »
Hmm. Well, try to alter the method you are doing it...maybe (just for a test) just paint a big blue x on the wolf's forehead...no transparencies, settings, anything. Just take that brush and paint, lol. If it is still giving you the same type of reaction, then we'll know that its not the method.

Offline Wolfeh

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:04:42 AM »
I tried just painting a blue x on them, and it did not even show up. I tried it in both ArcSoft Photostudio & just MSPaint. Neither worked.