Author Topic: zoopedia problem  (Read 2439 times)

Offline VelosiSpino.Rex

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« on: November 21, 2006, 08:26:38 AM »
theres a problem with the long describetion in the strings file
An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Shane/My Documents/lang/1033/SuperCheetah_strings.xml'. Line 108, Position 17

The Supercheetah

i followed ape 2 and deleted the problem but then it said theres a problem with the other words. I think theres a problem with the beggining.

help, I'm new at this

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
zoopedia problem
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:35:36 AM »
An invalid character means that you have some sort of weird simbol in the text, such as !@#$%%^&*() or an accent or something. Do you have any of those?

Offline VelosiSpino.Rex

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:44:46 AM »
nope,it's saying The SuperCheetah is invalid

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
zoopedia problem
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »
Well that just means that that line is where the problem starts for some reason; it won't show you everything that is wrong, just the beginning. You'll have to search around that region to find the problem.

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
zoopedia problem
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:50:52 AM »
Prehaps you could copy and paste the area around where the problem is here? That would help. :happy:

Offline VelosiSpino.Rex

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »
The superCheetah has a slender, long-legged body with blunt semi-retractile claws. Its chest is deep and its waist is narrow. Its coat is tan with small, round, black spots, and the fur is coarse and short. The cheetah has a small head with high-set eyes. Black "tear marks" run from the corner of its eyes down the sides of the nose to its mouth to keep sunlight out of its eyes and to aid in hunting and seeing long distances.

The adult animal weighs from 40 to 65 kg (90 to 140 lb). Its total body length is from 112 to 135 cm (45 in to 55 in), while the tail can measure up to 84 cm (33 in). Male cheetahs are slightly larger than females and have a slightly bigger head, but it is difficult to tell males and females apart by appearance alone.

The Supercheetah’s coat is tan, or buff coloured, with black spots measuring from ¾ to 1¼ inches across (2–3 cm). There are no spots on its white belly, and the tail has spots which merge to form four to six dark rings at the end. The cheetah's tail usually ends in a bushy white tuft. It also wears a snazzy cape and mask.

The Supercheetah's paws have semi-retractable claws, known in only one other cat species - the Fishing Cat - which offer the cat extra grip in its high-speed pursuits. The ligament structure of the cheetah's claws is the same as those of other cats; it simply lacks the sheath of skin and fur present in other varieties, and therefore the claws are always visible. With the exception of the dewclaw, the claw itself is also much shorter and straighter than other cats.

Adaptations that enable the cheetah to run as fast as it does include large nostrils that allow for optimal oxygen intake, and an enlarged heart and lungs that work together to circulate oxygen efficiently. While running, in addition to having good traction due to its semi-retractable claws, the cheetah uses its tail as a rudder-like means of steering to allow it to make sharp turns, necessary because prey will often make such turns to escape.

Unlike true big cats, cheetahs can purr as they inhale, but cannot roar. By contrast, lions, tigers, leopards, and jaguars can roar but cannot purr, except while exhaling. However, cheetahs are still considered by many to be the smallest of the big cats. While it is often mistaken for a leopard, the cheetah does have distinguishing features, such as the long "tear-streak" lines on each side of its nose that run from the corner of its eyes to its mouth. The body frame of a cheetah is also very different from that of the leopard, most notably so in its thinner and extra long tail.

The Supercheetah is a vulnerable species. Out of all the big cats, it is the least able to adapt to new environments. They have always proved difficult to breed in captivity, but recently a few zoos have been successful. Once widely shot for its fur, the cheetah now suffers more from the loss of both habitat and prey.

The Supercheetah is considered the most primitive of all cats, and until recently was thought to have evolved approximately 18 million years ago, although new research puts the last common ancestor of all 37 existing species of feline more recently, at 11 million years. The cheetah has lions and hyenas as natural enemies.

this is my long describtion there seems to be a problem with the whole thing

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
zoopedia problem
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
"¾ to 1¼" <- it could be these, have you tried just writing them as "3/4 to 1 1/4"?

Offline VelosiSpino.Rex

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
done, but it still says there's a problem and (in my first  post) it says line 108 position 17 and it begins with SuperCheetah

edit:could it be the speech marks " "?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:13:52 AM by VelosiSpino.Rex »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
zoopedia problem
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 09:13:58 AM »
Position 17 means 17 spaces over. We need more than just what it begins with to tell.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:19:00 AM by penguinman »

Offline RedNotDead

• Ho! Mitakuye Oyasin
  • Affiliates
  • Game Warden
zoopedia problem
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
"tear-streak"  that is your problem - the xml files are written so that anything in "" marks is looking for something like true/false locked/unlocked yu need to take out the "" marks where it says tear-streak

Offline VelosiSpino.Rex

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:20:28 AM »
yes!!! I found the problem, it was those pesky brackets. thank you for your help

edit: how do I change the icons? also, the animal is invisable.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 02:47:29 PM by VelosiSpino.Rex »

Offline goldenpuon

• Pooper Scooper
zoopedia problem
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
If the animal is invisible you might have made a mistake on coding or you didn't edit the nif files using XV132 (or other programs that can edit the more complex nif files). The reason why you can't edit nif files using something like notepad is that it will corrupt them.  I know that this was the case when some of the animals that I was making appeared invisible.  You can download XV132 but I forgot where to get it.  Try a search for it if you need it.

Hope that helps!

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
zoopedia problem
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:07 PM »
You can also edit the nif files with a hex editor such as WinHex. If you click the guides link in my siggy, you will find a "common problems" guide that will guide you through the steps