Author Topic: Variant Help  (Read 5497 times)

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »
I have currently finished an Orca variant, but it does not work in the game.  The file IS in the ZT2 folder in Program Files and to make sure I wasn't panicking I purchased 40 of each gender of Orca to check to see if one had the variant, none did.  So what should I do?  I followed the VAT; however all my Orca files were originally named female but I deleted the F so it was general adult with no specific gender.  There are also files in the originals that are named _1 and _2 should have I named my files _3 instead of my naming them _1, since there already is _1 and _2?  Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »
You have to leave the F there....that's the name referenced in the NIF...if you take that out, it doesn't read them at all.

Your files should be named Orca_Adult_F_3.dds....the F does not always mean Female; only in animals that have skins for different animals does it mean that. Every file needs an M or F there.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:13:06 PM »
Okay thank you!  I'm going to rename my files now.  I'll let you know if it worked.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
It didn't work.  This is probably a bad question but do I actually have to put the .dds at the end of my files?  If I do that solves the problem.  Anyways here's how I have it set up, mabye you can determine the problem:

Cream Orca Variant (zip file, it is a .z2f though)> entities>units>animals>WhaleOrca>

>WhaleOrca_Adult_F_3
  WhaleOrca_Adult_Dirty_F_3
  WhaleOrca_Adult_Sick_F_3
  WhaleOrca_Adult_Sick_Dirty_F_3

These are the actual way they are set up.

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
Variant Help
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
Being the newbie on this block, I could be wrong. But it looks right to me. But they do have to be in the .dds format.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:22 PM »
So I should add .dds to the end of my files?  They are DDS files but it does not have .dds on the end of each file name.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:36:24 PM »
Well, are they in .dds format?

It is possible that the animal is only coded to have 2 varients plus a main skin...some of the MM2 coding is shoddy, to say the least.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »
Well they do say DDS File when I click on properties, but would it make a difference if I added .dds to the end?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46:29 PM »
Probably not.

Are you putting them in the downloads folder or in the Main folder? They need to be in the main folder, Z2F only. No folders. If you have that, then here's what I suggest -

Name the file WhaleOrca_Adult_F, just the main one for now.  Now name the .z2f something with a Z. So like, Z- Cream Orca Variant. Put it in the main folder. Test the orca. If it is working correctly, it will overwrite (temporarily, till you change it again) the main skin and you will see it working.

If the skin works like that, then the problem lies in the coding, and you will have to overwrite one of the official skins in order to get it in the game.

If not, try _4. You may have another varient installed, perhaps.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
All right.  So basically don't add .dds and get rid of _3, so it is at WhaleOrca_Adult_F ( only do this to one of the files) Rename the file Z-Cream Orca Variant.  And run ZT2.  Right?  I'll try it and let you know.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »
Yep! That's the drill! I'll be around.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 01:03:10 PM »
It didn't work! ( laughing to self) Was I supposed to keep the other 3 files inside the Z- Cream Orca Variant file with the one renamed file?  If not, I'll try that again with the one file.  And if so I'll try naming all three to _F_4 and get rid of the Z?  After that, well I'll just see what happens.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
If it didn't work like that way then you have done something wrong, I'm afraid.

Are the files still marked "Read only?"

Reopen the file in DXTBmp - are they in fact recolored?

These sound like stupid questions but I have done that before myself.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »
Yes I chekced them in DXTBMP.  how would you know if they are "Read Only"?  If they are not how can you make them be?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »
Right click on the file, go to properties, uncheck the box in front of read only. You dont WANT them to be read only. Please recheck the files in DXTBmp again to make sure they are recolored. Sometimes its the silliest things.

You DON'T have entities in a folder too, correct? You should Right Click entities and add to archive...

Make sure all folder names are spelled correctly.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Variant Help
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
Turn your file extensions on to make sure that it really is a .dds file...

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »
They are not read only.  Well there is one part not recolored but I left that out on purpose.  I left the edge of the mouth white on purpose I can provide a link if you want to check it out.  Entities is in a folder, but only for my purpose.  But when I made it into .zip I went into that folder and right clicked on entities NOT the folder it was in.  When I right click on entities, I don't have add to archive so I just used Add to zip and then typed in "Cream Orca Variant.z2f" and clicked add and it made what it needed to make.  If add to archive is necessary I could go into Winzip and click on new archive and add to .zip.  Would that work?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »
And it is in fact in c:/program files/microsoft games/zoo tycoon 2 - and that's it, correct?

Please check your spelling on everything.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
Yes it is in exactly where it should be.  Spelling is correct because what I posted was exactly how it was spelt and I checked it about 3 times just to make sure I did when you suggested it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 01:32:26 PM by MarineManiac »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »
Well sometimes what we think we type in is not exactly what was typed in; we're just trying to help.

If you have everything exactly the way you say you have it, there should be absolutely no problem. If you want, you can send me the skins, PM me for contact info if you do.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »
Just one last thought should I try and name all my files _4.dds just to see what happens?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:03 PM »
No because if it wasn't working as a reskin then there's something wrong and it would just be wasting time. Go ahead if you want to though.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
Okay.  Thanks for your help.  I'll try another variant to see what I did wrong or fiddle around with this one, but if I can't figure something out, I will PM you.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Variant Help
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 01:53:15 PM »
I'm just quadruple checking because I've tested the orca with both a reskin and a variant just now and it works for me fine.

If you open your .z2f folder, you just see the entities folder?  Correct?

So you have: ZOrcaVariant.z2f/entities/units/animals/WhaleOrca/WhaleOrca_Adult_F_4.dds

And when placed in your ZT2 directory, it really should work.  Works perfect first time for me.

Offline badisbadis101

• Senior Zookeeper
    • My Projects
Variant Help
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »
okay, im not an expert, but are you archiving tham as a .zip or a .z2f? the game wont read .zips, just .z2f

if this has already been mentioned, sorry, but i didnt see it

EDIT: i looked again and saw that you said you made it  a .z2f, but i would double check