Author Topic: Variant Help  (Read 5496 times)

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
I'll try that, but not now, I have a Bethany Dillon concert to go to. Thanks guys!

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »
No it didn't work either and I decided to make a red dolphin variant just to see what happens and that didn't work either so I'm going to give the steps I did in order and hopefully there is a problem that will be pointed out:

1. I went into MY ZT2 Creations folder and made a new folder called "red dolphin"

2. Inside that folder I made enities, inside entities I made units, inside units I made animals, and inside animals I made "DolphinBottlenose"

3. I then went into my ZT2MM folder which was extracted from x200_000 and went into entities, units, animals, and DolphinBottlenose.

4. I copied Dolphin_Adult_F, Dolphin_Adult_F_Dirty, Dolphin_Adult_F_Sick, and Dolphin_Adult_F_Sick_Dirty.

5.  Then I pasted those into my DolphinBottlenose Folder.

6. Next I went into DXTBMP and opened all of them and edited them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, I clicked on refresh to change to my new skin.

7. Then I went to Save As, DDS Texture, kept the file name the same except for adding _3 to the end.  The drop box below said DDS DXT1.  There is a DDS DXT1 (No Alpha) but I did not use that.  

8. Then I pressed Save and deleted the files that were not edited.  I checked the files to make sure I edited them.

9.  Then I backed out of the file to entities, clicked right click to Add to zip, named the file reddolphin.z2f and it showed up in my folder as a MM2 icon with the name reddolphin.

10. Finally I copied and pasted it into the main ZT2 folder in C:/ Program Files/Microsoft Games/Zoo Tycoon 2

11. I ran the game and no variant after 50 male and 50 female dolphins.

So what should I do?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Variant Help
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 10:18:46 AM »
You should save as DXT3.  Otherwise I have no clue what is wrong, because I made the Orca reskin/variant straight away and it worked.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
You mean I should have saved it as Dolphin_Adult_F_3 and clicked on DDS DXT3?  If so I'm going to try that right away.  And I should save one DDS DXT3 for my WhaleOrca_Adult_F_3.dds?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:23:37 AM by MarineManiac »

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
Yes, that is what I mean.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »
Also, you did not say if you made sure the files were not read only. DXTBmp will SAY it writes it over when it doesn't really if its still read only

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
I'll try that.  So basically whatever number your using 1,2,3,4,5 you should save it with the corresponding DXT1,2,3,4,5?

I did that too.  I made sure that read only was not checked.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »
No.  DXT1,2,3 etc is the TYPE of DDS file it saves as.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »
no no no. the DXT number should ALWAYS be three, except for icons

Are any OTHER varients working for you right now? Like any other dled ones? Are your graphics set HIGH enough to SEE varients?

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 10:29:14 AM »
Okay I am going to try this and I let you know if it worked.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 10:41:28 AM »
And it didn't, lol, I thought it was that one for sure.  I have not yet downloaded any variants yet.  What should I set my graphics to see the variants?  Right now my graphics are set low for good game handeling but the colors look fine to me.  What should I set it at though?  Never knew that could be a factor.  The total .z2f file is at 1,013 kb.  Does that sound right in file size wise?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
You must turn your graphics up to see variants.  Specifically, Object Texture Detail must be medium or higher.

Were you able to see any of the included official variants?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:49:42 AM by ShenTirag »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »
For variants to appear your graphics need to be set to high, I'm afraid.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »
I'm going to try that now.  Just a general high setting?  Its not that bad, the game still works on high.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 10:52:42 AM »
Specifically, Object Texture Detail must be medium or high.

This setting.

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2007, 11:00:19 AM »
It did not work either.  I guess I'm going to try and start all over.  The only thing I forgot to mention is I tired to open the files with DXTBMP instead of going into the program and finding them.  It didn't work.  But I don't think that would matter.

Breaking news:  The entities, units, animals, and WhaleOrca folders are read only, the files are not.  Would that make a difference?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:04:00 AM by MarineManiac »

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
Can you please answer my question?   Are you able to see the official variant skins for -any- animals at all? (For example the tiger.)

I am very willing to have a look at your .DDS files to make sure they are working properly, but I see you already refused Mika's offer.  I really cannot see what your problem is, making variants is very simple and should work fine if you have your graphic settings adjusted.

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 11:06:29 AM »
The only thing that the read only thing changes is it LETS you MAKE changes

If you would let me see your files instead of making us sit here and babysit this thread it would be much easier to see if the problem is your files or your computer

Offline MarineManiac

• Scientist
Variant Help
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »
Quote from: ShenTirag;180324
Can you please answer my question?   Are you able to see the official variant skins for -any- animals at all? (For example the tiger.)

I did when it first came out, but I haven't used those in a while, but other variants I think so.  I going to try it out on my laptop, becuase I've never had the turquoise on my computer and the first it came up on my laptop.

Don't worry about babysitting this thread, if you have other things go do them.  This is not very important, but i do appreciate the help you all have given.

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
If it doesn't work on your laptop I have no clue what's wrong and I don't think I'd be able to help you further unless you send me the .z2f.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
Variant Help
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 11:15:59 AM »
so when u save a .dds in DXTBMP it has to be saved as DXT 3 or something like that? as in the file type has to be DXT 3? im working on a tiger shark and i edit it then i save in PS, then i go to DXTBMP, click rfresh after edit, then click save as, i name it SharkWhite_Adult_F_3.dds or sumthin like that. i then go to where i saved it and right click, select add to .zip. and it changes it into a .z2f file. i then put it into the ZT2 folder and it doesnt work. i have my details on high.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:19:10 AM by seaworldgurl1 »

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
I generally don't help put 5 pages of time into solving one problem; there is an easy solution and its just not able to be answered without looking at the files to see if they work on a computer other than your own.

Offline seaworldgurl1

• Zookeeper
  • dive in
    • Pilialoha
Variant Help
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
umm...may i send it to u to see what the prob is?

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Variant Help
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2007, 11:21:43 AM »
seaworldgurl1: Yes, when using DXTBMP (or the nVidia Photoshop plugin), you should save your .DDS files as either DXT3 or DDS 888-8 32bit, as those are the .DDS types that ZT2 responds best to.

Edit:  Yes, you may send your files to me seaworlgurl1 and I will have a look for you :)

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Variant Help
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
Sorry seaworldgurl that wasn't aimed at you but yes, I would be glad to check out your file. PM me for contact info