Author Topic: Coding  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:44:43 PM »
(I'm not sure, is this in the right place?)

Okay, I'm having some trouble with both coding and recoloring. First off, would someone be willing to go through what I have done and tell me what I missed? And with recoloring, does someone have all of the skins somewhere up for DL? That would make it alot easier for me as a n00b to animal creation...Thanks!!!:happy:

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Coding
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
Howdy! No, nowhere can you get 'all the skins' for download. That would hardly be practical, since no one knows exactly which one a person would be needing. Also, making variant skins requires less than making a new animal. You need to have more than just 'skins' to make an animal, you see.

I would suggest you go to our Downloads section and first of all download Sideshow Bob's tutorial, APE II. That will tell you what other programs are required to make an animal, and where to get them. It will also tell you where to find the .dds files (skins) for your animal.

If you want to make only a variant for an animal, you can download Penguinman's VAT (Variant Animal Tutorial), also in our Downloads section. Hope this all helps!:smile:

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »
Well, I have downloaded APEII already, that is what got me started with coding. I'm trying to make a Western Lowland Gorilla, the only difference in size and behavior is that I want it a little bigger, the male  should hit 6' and up, and I still need to check the diet, I may change that...But I also want to give the animal a slightly higher tolerance of the grassland biome. As for recoloring, I can't seem to find the program that APEII suggests. All I need to do is add a little brown to the scalp and lighten it up...(And yes, I downloaded everything offered)

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Coding
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:09:47 PM »
Well, if you have downloaded the programs offered, you have everything needed to re-color and/or resize. Yet you say you "can't find the program that APEII suggests". I'm confused.

If it's dxtbmp you're looking for, it's found here. (And yes, it IS an aircraft site). :laughing:

There are several hexeditors you can use. APEII suggests FlexHex, I believe, but you can also use WinHEX and Cygnus. They all have free trials.

I'm assuming (always a mistake) that you have a paint/photo program for the recoloring?

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:16:45 PM »
Well, I have the Paint program, and as I write this, I am downloading FlexHex...What do you use succesfully?

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Coding
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07:41 PM »
Well, I hate to tell you this, but Paint is NOT good for recoloring! All the designers I know use Paint Shop Pro (one uses Adobe). You can get PSP for a free trial, and there are absolutely always discounts on it. It's really the best on the market - any designers will tell you this.

The download can be found at Jasc.com

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »
Alright, I'm dowloading it now, I will go through the APEII guidebook again and try to get the skin. And one more thing for the time being, could you provide a link to the VAT DL? thanks for the help!

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Coding
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:37:52 PM »
Alright, here is the link to our copy of the VAT. Hope it helps you.:original:

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 11:02:41 AM »
Thx! I'm trying to deal with the PSP right now, something keep interupting the installashon...I'll get it fugured out...Well, I just opened up the VAT document, and it turns out I can't use it yet:( I do not have any XPs yet. I'm still waiting for that promised ZT2 Gold thing...

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
Coding
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 12:38:05 PM »
What "ZT2 Gold Thing" are you talking about? If you don't have any XPs, then virtually none of the guides except APE II will work for you, since they're all geared to use the XPs. Sorry.: :( :

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »
Thats fine, I'll get it sooner or later...For now, my comp is on the fritz, a startup file is missing, so I'm on my dad's computer, so I will not be able to work on anything for a bit.

Offline Shenzu Shikiru

• Zookeeper
Coding
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 07:14:43 AM »
Well, my comp is back up, thanks to the recovery thing...So I will have to go through and recode the entire animal after redownloading the entire system I had going...:(