Author Topic: biomes.z2f  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Dibo

• Pooper Scooper
biomes.z2f
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:50:27 PM »
hello guys,

yesterday I bought Zoo Tycoon 2 (English ver.) and today I wanted to install it, but the setup routine was interrupted, saying that it cant read biomes.z2f. I searched the CD dirs and found it under file, having a size of about 14 megs. After I searched around on these forums, I tried to open it with WinRAR, but it says that the file is corrupted, so im not able to extract and rezip it (whether that would help or not).
However, the setup routine had the option to ignore the missing file and continue, but now the game keeps crashign whenever i try to start the tutorial or a new game.

I downloaded the latest patch (ver 2.33 something), but it didnt fix that issue.

Now here is my question:
Is there a way to get that problem solved? Where could I get that broken file from? I dont really feel like mailing the CD to MS and claim a new one, since it takes them ages (I had a similar problem with my Windows XP original CD once, and it took almost a month til they had sent me a new one).

thanks in advance for your assistance,

greets

dibo

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
biomes.z2f
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »
:welcomean Dibo! you should head over to introductions and introduce yourself there! make sure you grab some of csls cookies! yum! :original:
As for your question, do you just have ZT2? of do you have ES or AA or both? You could try reinstalling it. Other than that sorry I can't help you. :crying:

Offline Dibo

• Pooper Scooper
biomes.z2f
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:57:32 PM »
I did try reinstalling, doesnt change nething :(

And yeah, its just plain Zoo tycoon 2, without any addons.

EDIT: introduction -> done

EDIT2: maybe someone could upload the file, so I could see if that would fix my problem...?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:00:16 AM by Dibo »

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
biomes.z2f
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:11:58 AM »
We aren't allowed to upload files like that. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.
I'm sorry I don't know what else can be done. :( Its probably the disc but it might be the computer. Sorry I'm not more help : :( :

Offline Dibo

• Pooper Scooper
biomes.z2f
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:24:16 AM »
just tried installing on my old pc... you might guess it, just the same problem again. So its definitely the disc -.-

I doubt its illegal to upload this single file only, since you cant run the game from biomes.z2f alone I spose. Uploading the whole game and maybe some tool to remove the copy protection,that would be illegal.
Just in case you worry, what can I do to proof to you that I bought the game legally?

EDIT: Ive uploaded the payment confirmation from the shop where I bought it.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3260/librokm2.jpg

EDIT2: I could extract the file with 7zip. The broken part is a file called "wetlands_cover_512.dds", if maybe someone could share it, I might get around that problem (and im still quite sure that this would not be illegal)

EDIT3: Yay, another edit. Ive managed to open the file via 7zip altho it said its corrupted), then saved it as bmp and reconverted it to DDS using DDSConverter2. Now Ill try to rebuild the full CD contents and maybe Ill get it running from the fixed copy then (although I fear that I might have to use a crack to get it running with my [legal] copy).
Ripped-Replaced-Burning in progress (hurray for my old 4x cd burner)
Dun hate me people, its not that I have another choice if I dont wanna go on and persuade someone to share a pack of texture files :p

EDIT4: The game itself works so far, even without a crack. Yet, when playing on wetlands, the replaced texture is not shown, instead the ground is black. Seems that I either need a good instruction on which settings I got to put DDSConverter when converting the .bmp, or I need the original texture file :/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:03:26 AM by Dibo »

Offline Bengal

• ChinchillAddict!
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
    • http://
biomes.z2f
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:50 AM »
It is illegal to upload, e-mail, etc a file like that, or any file for that matter. If we found out any of this going on, an immediate ban and reporting to Microsoft would be in order. Please do not ask others to upload a file anymore.

As for your file, it sounds like the disc is your problem. You can try contacting Microsoft, send in the bad disc, and they will send you a replacement. Or you could take the game back to the store from which you bought it and trade for a new disc. Sometimes that creates issues as some stores will not take back games that have already been opened, but I'm pretty sure they will allow it if you are switching for the same game.

Just remember: No more asking for files, because it IS illegal.

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
biomes.z2f
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:50:53 AM »
When you converted to .dds make sure it is in DXT3 format :original:

Offline Dibo

• Pooper Scooper
biomes.z2f
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
sorry, I apologize for asking for an upload of the original textures. I was really believing this would be legal, sorry again. I didnt want to cause any troubles, I just wanted to get my game running while avoiding a month's waiting time when claiming a new one at Microsoft, since my store wont take it back, as the game was on special bargain (-25%)

So, these are the options that DDConverter is giving me:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6135/ddconvcw0.jpg

How do I have to set it to get that tex working properly?

Btw. If there are some custom wetlands textures around anywhere for download, Id be really thankful for a link, I dont necessarily need the original ones, as long as the game doesnt look crappy anymore with the ugly black stains insted of the grass.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:11:30 AM by Dibo »

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
biomes.z2f
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
There's a new wetlands here. The picture you showed should work, so it may be a problem with the file itself.

Offline Dibo

• Pooper Scooper
biomes.z2f
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
Finally!

I replaced the original ones with the custom wetlands... and it worked! Thanks, Im really happy that I can finally enjoy ZT2.

Offline penguinman

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
biomes.z2f
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:39:16 AM »
Glad that worked out for you! Aim is very good at those!!

:s_closed: