Author Topic: Shen's Little Zoo  (Read 10235 times)

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
Shen's Little Zoo
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:13:49 AM »
This small family owned zoo contains a variety of peaceful, friendly and mostly small animals, many of which can reside happily side by side.  Currently the zoo is not open to the public, but the hope is that once many of the new animals are happily settled into their homes that the Little Zoo can provide a pleasant, interactive and educational visit for all.

Currently the Little Zoo has only three species: four Pygmy Goats, four Miniature Ponies and four Zebroids.  Whilst none of these animals are particularly exotic, the domestic nature of these species means that they should all reside peacefully together and their playful antics should amuse the guests.

The habitats are designed to be as realistic as possible, and one of the pygmy goats, Sugar, really enjoys wading through the small natural pool.  There is plenty of lush grass for the animals to roam around, and Wheatabix loves to race about the enclosure.  

Sometimes there is a little bit too much playfulness in the exhibit, and Fudge and Coffee, the two male goats, have been caught head-butting each other.  Myriad, one of the female Zebroids, grinds to a halt quickly before galloping headfirst into the pool!

However many of the interactions between the animals have been positive, with the two ponies Wheatabix and Porridge following each other round constantly - who knows, soon little hoofsteps may be heard! :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:15:58 AM by ShenTirag »

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »
Hi Shen. Well what a lovely little zoo you have! :thumbsup: This is a really nice change to most zoos (no offence, to anyone!) that have the usual well known animals. I can just imagine people really enjoying this place, especially younger children.

And the Sugar pic is really......sweet! Sorry :blushing:

Hope you'll be showing more soon.: :) :

Offline alloy61

• Doctor Who nut
  • Copa Cabana
  • Scientist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »
Reading this topic is making me hungry lol!
This zoo seems to have a tranquility about it....very nice...
I could just sit by that little lake...:fishing:

Looking forward to seeing more:original:

Offline Nique

• Just Nique... nothin' fancy
  • Global Moderator
  • Scientist
    • NotionsbyNique*
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »
I agree with everyone else - this is just the kind of place I'd love to take my 3 year old to. Very nice!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:18:35 PM »
Thanks very much guys! :)

Some recent news from the grassland paddock - Myriad, one of the zebroids, is pregnant!  The happy couple seem to be glowing with happiness!  

As you didn't see before, just above/behind the little pond is a small rising cliff, perfect for the goats such as Sugar to climb upon!

To further expand the Little Zoo, application has been made for a small scrubland exhibit, and a donation of 6 playful meerkats has made the staff even more excited about opening day!  These crazy critters live in a large, hilly exhibit with a group of four elderly aardvarks, transferred from another small family owned zoo who no longer had the space or time to care for them.  Unfortunately, Angus, the oldest male, has difficulty with the slopes, so a donation drive is already started up to raise money to re-landscape the enclosure.  

The owners hope that children and adults alike will enjoy the somewhat missmatch of the relaxed aardvarks and the frisky meerkats, and also enjoy learning watching both animals deal with their favourite snacks - ants!

Edit: Urk, my save file corrupted, guess the Little Zoo will have to start over! (Luckily I remembered what varients each animal was :P)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:48:47 PM by ShenTirag »

Offline SageofWater

• Raptor Pack
  • Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 01:35:24 PM »
Great Zoo Shen! Your pics are wonderful! I really like the pic of sugar and the others animals the most.

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
Ooh! Very original! Is there a pony ride?

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 02:15:18 PM »
Aww, the Zebroids are snuggling, and that one meerkat looks like he is defying gravity :lolol:

Offline Seraphii

• Signed, sealed, delivered
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »
Wow! Ive always wondered what your zoos looked like! and now i am pleased to get to see them! the zoo looks amazing! reminds me of an awesome petting farm that I go to from time to time. It looks so pretty! nice work!

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 10:24:18 PM »
Urk, my save file corrupted, guess the Little Zoo will have to start over! (Luckily I remembered what varients each animal was :P)

Oh NO!! Ugh, isn't it awful when that happens? But if you know which animals and varients you used, thats not so bad. Good luck with it!:thumbsup:

Oh and I love the zebroid couple pic - very cute!!:wub:

Offline Bengal_Tiger

• Pooper Scooper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 01:06:39 AM »
Great job so far Shen! Can't wait to see more pictures once you get the zoo up and runing again. Till then I'll just have to sit and wait... :crying:

P.S. Love your Zebroids!

Offline Budgielover101

• Gl?bal Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:13:37 AM »
Oh that zebroid couple is so cute! :wub: and you have miniature ponies! yay! I love the zoo! too bad about it being corrupt, but good luck with rebuilding it!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
(Sorry for the delay, university work took precedence over zoo-rebuilding :P)

At the Little Zoo, some major landscaping work has gone on in the aardvark and meerkat exhibit, and we here at the Zoo really think the results speak for themselves!  The low stone walls were designed so even the smallest guests could feel close to these scrubland animals, and the tiny meerkats can be seen nice and clearly.  Elsewhere in the zoo, the new pony ride is open, and children are welcome to ride both the Shetland and Miniature ponies which live in the Little Zoo.

Recent new additions to the zoo include a group of free roaming peafowl, who happily perch in the branches of the protected oak trees at the zoo (hence why many of our oak trees have fences around them) and amuse our guests.  We've also recently opened a small temperate enclosure, containing the adorable  blue-tongued skinks, who are so tiny we can't get close enough pictures to show you!  These little lizards live with a trio of koalas, all of which spend a great deal of time hiding in the specially bought eucalyptus trees.  Hopefully these cuddly looking creatures will settle in more in time and we shall be able to update you on their progress!

Offline penguinman

• Ridge on the Barrel of a Capstan
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Artifex!
    • Zoo Tycoon 2 Designing Centre
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 02:33:59 PM »
Awsome zoo! The exhibits and walkways are soo beautiful with the gorgeous foliage and decorations! :thumbsup:

Offline SageofWater

• Raptor Pack
  • Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
Nice update! I love the pic of the aardvarks and the meerkat pic!

Offline Panda King

• Marine Biologist
  • One flaming hot panda!
    • Panda-monium!
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »
Yay! A pnoy ride! And those skinks, they really add ambience to the exhibit, no? They're sure cute!

Offline hupdo1593

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Palawan peacock pheasant
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
i love the skinks! they look so cool, like the rest of ur zoo does!

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 08:09:26 AM »
Lots has been happening at the Little Zoo - it's Baby Time! :wub:

We knew something was up when the male miniature ponies started getting territorial again.  Soon we discovered that both Cheerio and Museli (the two females) are both pregnant, and soon more little ponies will fill our paddock!

We thought Myriad was acting strangely, and true enough, she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl!  She was quickly joined by another foal, as Opal gave birth to a bouncy baby boy!  Suggestions for names of these two foals will be gladly received!

Over in the scrubland exhibit, more good news is found - two sets of meerkat twins were born overnight!  Aren't they just adorable?  Proud parents keep a watchful eye over their tentative explorations.

And that's not the last of our baby-boom!  The koala Keira is now the proud mum of Muffin, one of the smallest additions to the zoo.  Guests have been delighted watching little Muffin ride around on her mum's back.

So with all these wonderful new stars in the Little Zoo, we have received an astonishing (for us, anyway ;) ) $5,000 dollars in donations, meaning we have started work on a new mystery sandpit exhibit.  Can you tell what it is yet? :)

Offline Hyena Girl

• Zookeeper
  • If anyone dares badmouth hyenas....
    • Cottomn's Petz Plaza (I am known as cottonbunny)
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 11:03:55 AM »
Cute idea. I once thought of making a minature zoo but I'm lazy so I never got round to doing it. I think your sandy exhibit may be for fennec foxes.

Offline RhinoRapter

• Zookeeper
    • Rhino Gaming
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
:thumbsup: cool and cute pics and a awsome zoo.:thumbsup:

Offline Rosinas Cat

• Feline Friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Game Warden
  • Cool Cat
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:18 AM »
I am sooo pleased you weren't discouraged by your original zoo crashing, Shen, because the new pics are delightful! :thumbsup:  I just love Muffin - she's a cutie!!:wub:

I hope Hyena Girl is right about the desert exhibit being for foxes......:whistling

Offline RhinoRapter

• Zookeeper
    • Rhino Gaming
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
i cant get enough of this zoo it is so cute and beatuifully done

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 08:02:38 AM »
You got it right - the sandpit is for FOXES! : :) :

Here at the Little Zoo we are proud to show off not just the diminutive fennec, but also the kit fox, a native to North America.  We started with a pair of each, but that quickly increased!  The playful, hyperactive nature of these little canids makes them great attractions. The parent-young interactions are both engaging and educational for our youngest visitors.

Continuing the baby-boom here at the Little Zoo, Cheerio gave birth, and we have a gorgeous even-smaller-than-usual miniature pony in the paddock!  The aardvarks have also suprised us, with Annie and young providing us with even more cause for celebration!  The baby zebroids are doing well, and integrating well into the herd.

Though the pace of life here at the Little Zoo has seemed a little hectic of late, there is always time for a laid-back pony ride as the sun draws in early as winter creeps ever nearer.

(I shall be busy over the weekend, so no updates till next Monday/Tuesday, sorry :P)

Offline world

• Zookeeper
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »
I love this zoo Shen!!Great work on all of the exhibits!!

Offline hupdo1593

• Senior Zookeeper
  • Palawan peacock pheasant
Shen's Little Zoo
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
i like the fox exhibit! great job on your zoo, shen!