Author Topic: So how do you like the new site?  (Read 13699 times)

Offline dannybob

• Zookeeper
  • okapis and gemsbok rule
Re: So how do you like the new site?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »
I like it its really good and i like the blue colour and all the stuff u can do in ur profile, u did a good jobe :goodjob:

but what happened to all my posts I had over 60 but now have less

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:53 AM »
Just so some of you are aware we did lose some posts when we did the database moves.

To understand this I will explain a little.

We have databases that hold the site information members, posts, etc. They were all set up here to mirror the ones on the old server. These databases can be backed up like a zip file sort of and downloaded and moved and then restored.

When we did this just as we took the old ZA offline we did lose about 2 hours of posts.

For those of you who say you have lost posts we will look into this and see if we can find why and fix it if at all possible.

Sometimes with a move of a site as large as ZA some things do get lost or don't transfer properly. We will however try to fix what we can.

Again patience is needed on your part as these things take time.

Offline mikaboshi

• Little Miss Snarky Pants
  • Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »
Well I know that there was a poll on the Extinct Animals Expansion that was started at least a few days, maybe a week, before the move that didn't transfer, as well as Marine Maniac's current projects. I know that I had reached 3500 posts because I posted it in Post Count Milestones and was at about 3400 when we got here. I think that these topics that somehow vanished are resulting in some post counts decreasing as well.

Offline PolarBeartoo

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »

Just wanted to say congratulations to Za staff for the clean moving. I only can imagine how much work was involved in this  :goodjob:, and the reality is that, aside from some minor details, everything is working fine, and almost everything is here.

As for the new colors and lay-out they are wonderfull, so much pratical than the old one.   :clap: :yellowrose:

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
  • The Valiant Knight, ready to defend at all costs
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 12:45:23 PM »
Oh, so that's it...cause I know I didn't post over 15 times in the 2 hours before the move. :)

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »
I was wondering if this skin is permanent or just temporary?

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 05:10:05 PM »
We are keeping this format of board and the skin is basically almost the way it will be when we're done. The Blue is supposed to be Marine Mania-esque. WE will alter it slightly but don't expect something to be really really different

Offline Firehawke

• "Ooh, look---it's a frog!"
  • Game Warden
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »
I'm liking the new board!  It will take a while to get used to it, but it's a happy change. 
I do have one question, though.  I go to my inbox and all of my PMs are displayed on the page, one right after another.  Is there someway to keep them from all opening up?

Keep up the great work and thanks for everything!  :sthanks:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:14:24 PM by Firehawke »

Offline Alpha Dilophosaur

• Scientist
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »
If I may make a suggestion, I think it would look more Marine-mania...ish if it had a darker blue. The blue right now looks like more of an ice blue, rather than a marine-blue. Just my two cents. (is it possible to get that thumbs-up smiley so it shows in the smiley thing above the post box?)

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2007, 08:23:31 PM »
Well, I'm sorry you aren't as into the site skin as we are. It could be worse; we could have no site at all.

Offline starwolfie

• Zookeeper
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »

Well, I'm sorry you aren't as into the site skin as we are. It could be worse; we could have no site at all.
Mikaboshi has a good point there we could be stuckwith no za at all and that would be terriable because  :iloveZA: no matter what colour the skin is.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »
Just to add to what some of you are saying about our new bright blue skin color.

Zoo Admin is an older - one of the oldest ZT fansites on the net. Over the years it has gone through many manifestations.

ZA again has undergone a major maifestation. New owners, new server, new software. With all of this we thought a bright and lively new look would help to bring it into this new age.

For those of you who do not like this bright skin it is possible for you to change the skin you see. This is done through your user profile. When you enter the profile screen you see a few menus located on the left of the screen look in the modify profile menu for Look and Layout Preferences. Click this to change your skin options.

Right at the very top is

Current Theme: Dilber Multicolor (change)

Click on change to see the available skins for use. Once you decide which skin you want too use on the right you will see

use this theme | preview ยป

Clicking preview will show you what it will look like. Clicking use this theme will make that theme the one you see when accessing the forum board only.

Once you have clicked use this theme you will be taken back to the modify profile screen. Scroll to the bottom and click on Change Profile to make the changes.

I hope this helps those of you who are not fans of our bright new look.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 12:07:09 AM by Yellowrose »

Offline Loewenfrau

• Retired ZT Webmistress
  • Copa Cabana
  • Game Warden
  • The Lion Lady
    • The African Lion
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2007, 01:10:11 AM »
I'm sorry to say this but I don't like the new look either.
During my time as ZA webmaster there were 3 design changes and I agree with you that now's the time for another one.
I even agree with blue. ZA didn't have blue yet and I think with MM2 it would fit just nice.
But not this shade of blue, I'm sorry . It looks too cold and "dead".

Anyway, this is not my call :)

I tried to change the skin option in my profile settings but either I'm too blind to see it or it's really not there.

Attached is a pic what I have on screen when i go there.

Offline ZooLu

• Pooper Scooper
  • I'm crazier than you.
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2007, 01:18:01 AM »
I LOVE it. On the old site, nobody sent me my activation email, but I've got it now! :dancer: :clap:

Offline ShenTirag

• Small and Bitter
  • Gl?bal Moderator
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • made in a factory and from a special kind of metal
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 03:40:21 AM »
I find it amusing because for me this shadow of blue is perfect, very easy on the eyes and very readable, but each to their own! :)

Offline happyholly

• Pooper Scooper
    • an alternative view
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 07:24:01 AM »
Hi. Yellowrose, I think I must be missing something. You said to change the colour of the skin, to go into Look and Layout, and

Right at the very top is

Current Theme: Dilber Multicolor (change)

Well this is the top half of my look and layout screen.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/happyholly38/untitled.jpg

Am I going mad, but I can't see it!

Don't get me wrong, i love the new site, but I'm not crazy for the blue!

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »
I share Loewenfrao's and Alpha's opinion. A darker blue would be good. I hope nobody takes my opinion as an insult, I love this place, but that is just my opinion so I hope you don't mind me giving it. I know how hard you all worked to get this working, and I thank you for that. :iloveZA:

P.S. I can't find that switch in my profile either :loony:

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Where are the downloads?  :ball:

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »
Sorry, the downloads as was stated by Yellowrose already, are taking longer than expected to transfer over. We do have 3000 of them you know! :laugh2:

Offline Seadragon

• Zookeeper
  • Hunting for dogs...
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
thats okay, but when i didn't see the downloads, i said: "whoa... why did ZA throw away the ZT2 downloads?!?"  :boohoo:

But don't worry, I'm patient, I'll wait for the downloads. :D      *2 minutes later* When are the downloads coming?!  :crash:

Offline pepe_starr

• Affiliates
  • Senior Zookeeper
  • ZTG Admin
    • Zoo Tycoon Gold
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 12:35:33 PM »
I just want to say what an excellent job I think you guys have done on moving the site over and the very smooth transaction which has taken place!

I love the new skin, and hope that everyone appreciates as much as I do what a great job the staff have done.

Thank you for all your hard work
Pepe Starr

Offline mikaboshi

• Game Warden
  • Sweet Sassy Molassy!
    • Artifex
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
I have modified the settings and you should be able to choose your own them now. Tell me if you have any more problems.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »
Try to remember when changing your theme options none of the others have yet been modified they are still as they were when we installed the software. Those changes will come later when we know more on how to do these things with this software. We are still trying to get little things adjusted and then we have the huge task of getting the downloads done so they are again accessable for all of you.

Offline Zoo Titan

• Zookeeper
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:39 AM »
Warning: The following is not important, but it is on topic.

We need the thumbsup smily back :D

Edit:

I just found this in another thread

Heh, now every winter will we have ZA Independence Day?

I think that is a great idea!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:29:39 AM by Zoo Titan »

Offline Daddyman

• Pooper Scooper
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
First I would like to say congratulations on the speedy move, and the hard work is appreciated. I'm not one for posting in forums usually. Although I do believe I have downloaded everything that was ever posted on the old site at one time or another and have read most of the topics. I originally had a question to ask but inadvertently just answered it myself, so I will just say that me and my daughter (Jordan) have really come to depend on this site and we appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Daddyman
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:05:25 PM by Daddyman »