Author Topic: Program For Resizing  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Pandawarrior

• Zookeeper
Program For Resizing
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:35:20 PM »
What would be a good program fo resizing an animal?

Offline MaddPilot

• Pooper Scooper
Program For Resizing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »
You don't need a program to resize, you can simply follow the APE2 guide, and it shows you how to do it without much hassle.

Offline Ooot

• Pooper Scooper
    • http://
Program For Resizing
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
Yah, I followed that guide and it explained me how to resize on something I'm working on, even though I have no experience with that sorta thing. :)

Offline Wooly Rhino

• Raptor Pack
  • Game Warden
    • http://s15.invisionfree.com/shadowstar/index.php?act=idx
Program For Resizing
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
If you'll note, this is in the ZT1 section...

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Program For Resizing
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »
to resize an animal for ZT 1 you can do it with the resize option in your graphics program.

Offline Tasmanian_tiger

• ZA Designer
  • Scientist
    • http://www.thylacine.be
Program For Resizing
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:08:55 AM »
Originally posted by Wooly Rhino@Feb 28 2006, 07:50 PM
If you'll note, this is in the ZT1 section...
Aye.  Is this a question for ZT1 or ZT2?

Offline Pandawarrior

• Zookeeper
Program For Resizing
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 07:21:03 PM »
ZT1

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Program For Resizing
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 03:35:33 AM »
Originally posted by Yellowrose@Mar 1 2006, 12:00 AM
to resize an animal for ZT 1 you can do it with the resize option in your graphics program.
Although it is true that resizing can be done in any graphics program, it would be easier to do in programs that understand transparent or background colors. Paint does not seem to be one of those types of programs. If you resize an image in Paint, it attempts to blend the background color near the foreground image. Although it will be difficult to see in Paint, this would cause a "halo" around the foreground image in APE and in ZT. Another problem this could cause is too many colors to load into ZOOT. One way around this problem in Paint is to zoom in and erase those blended pixels. Sometimes you have to go over the image and erase the same pixels more than once because sometimes Paint also tries to blend the erased pixels. Another thing that reduces the blending problem is to cut off as much of the background around the image as possible. Then resize. In fact, whether the image is being resized or not, it is the most efficient if there is no row or column of pixels in the image that is made up completely of the background color. However, always make sure that the top leftmost pixel is always set to the background color in order to avoid boxes around the foreground image in ZT.

Offline D.J. Ali

• Zookeeper
    • http://
Program For Resizing
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 05:50:26 AM »
Originally posted by Pandawarrior@Mar 1 2006, 01:35 AM
What would be a good program fo resizing an animal?
As Yellowrose said, Graphics programs can help you... and you are right with Paint, it won't help you.
The best program for resizing images is Ulead Photo Express... I got it, when I purchased my scanner.
It is quit good, if you ask me.

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
Program For Resizing
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »
Thanks Jay....btw Welcome Back

Offline Tasmanian_tiger

• ZA Designer
  • Scientist
    • http://www.thylacine.be
Program For Resizing
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 11:08:36 AM »
Jay, I thought the 'halo' depended on how you saved your image.  Never save as a jpeg, always try bmp or png.

Of course, I don't work with paint though.

Offline Peregrine Falcon

• Zookeeper
  • Avian Fanatic!
    • Mount Zephyr
Program For Resizing
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »
you resize an image in Paint, it attempts to blend the background color near the foreground image.
Huh, when I resized one with paint, it just change the size of the image frame, which cut off some of the image.... :8

Offline Jay

• Zookeeper
Program For Resizing
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 09:48:03 PM »
Originally posted by Peregrine Falcon+Mar 3 2006, 08:40 PM-->
QUOTE (Peregrine Falcon @ Mar 3 2006, 08:40 PM)
Huh, when I resized one with paint, it just change the size of the image frame, which cut off some of the image.[/b]
There are several types of resizing. One is to click on a handle at the bottom edge or right edge of the image rectangle and drag the handle. If you shrink the rectangle using this method, the image size inside the rectangle does not change. I use this method to reduce the amount of background color that is at the bottom or at the right in the rectangle. As you mention, care has to be taken not to go too far, for the image will then get cut off. Unfortunately, the handles cannot be dragged that are on the left or top of the rectangle.

Another method is to click the "Select" icon, click and drag a box around the portion in the rectangle you want to select, right click on the image, click Copy, click File, click New, right click on blank image, and click Paste. This allows reducing the amount of background color that is on any side of the rectangle. Again, it does not change the size of the image that is inside the rectangle.

To change the size of the image inside the rectangle, click Image, click Stretch/Skew, type in the same number in the two "%" boxes, and click OK. But, as I mentioned, this type of resizing will cause blending of the background color. Also, you can only resize by percents. You cannot resize by the number of pixels.

So Paint is not the best choice for ZT work, although it can work with a lot of effort. I am investigating other graphics programs, such as gimp. But I cannot give suggestions for other programs yet.

Originally posted by Tasmanian_tiger@
I thought the 'halo' depended on how you saved your image. Never save as a jpeg, always try bmp or png.
There are many things that can cause either the "halo" or a box around the image. Yes, using jpeg/jpg files can also cause both of those problems, depending on the optimization that is done to create the jpeg/jpg file. Resizing images in graphics programs that do not understand background or transparency colors and do not understand layers is another source of those problems.

\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t
<' + '/div>\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t