Author Topic: changing file types  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Ailurus

• Zookeeper
changing file types
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »
how do i change file types. because i want to change a .zip file to .ztd file. I have tried just renaming it something.ztd but when i click properties it is still a .zip file.

also my game keeps crashing when i click on the anmal adoptions tab. Why? How can i make it stop?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:26:29 PM by Ailurus »

Offline Peacenote

• Peaceful Music Soothes the Savage Soul
  • Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
changing file types
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »
To actually change your extensions, you need to set your computer to show known file extensions.  Otherwise you're just making the name myfile.ztd.zip.

There may be a tutorial on how to do this already somewhere, but what you do is in any Windows Explorer window, go to Tools and then Folder Options.  Click the View tab and uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types."  Hit Apply.

You'll now notice that all your files have extensions.  Your zips will say .zip and your documents will say .doc.

THEN if you rename the file, and get rid of the .zip and put .ztd, you're actually changing the extension.  The system will probably give you a warning asking if you're sure you want to do that.

Don't know about your other problem, but hopefully that helps.:happy:

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
changing file types
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »
Peacenote is right, except for one thing. Just re-naming the file won't 'turn' it into what you want. For example, the only way to make a file a .zip file is with WinZip or WinRAR. The only way to make a file into a WORD file is with WORD, not just by naming it .doc. Same with the .ztd files.

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
changing file types
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »
Well if your making a zip file you need to zip it up, but if you're going from a zip TO a ztd all you need to do is rename it.  Because basically it just labels the zip into an extension name that ZT can read.  At least that's what's happened in my experience.  :blushing:

Offline csleesburg

• An Oldie But Goodie
  • Game Warden
changing file types
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »
Well, I'm sure you're right, then, Peacenote. That's what I get for trying to answer a ZT1 question :blushing: since I don't have ZT1. Not as smart as I thought I was, am I?:rolleyes:

Offline Yellowrose

• The Warden
  • Webmaster
  • Game Warden
    • Zoo Admin
changing file types
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:33:08 PM »
it's not the same with ztd files or z2f files for that matter.

ztd and z2f files are actually zip files with a different extension so changing them fom .zip to .ztd takes nothing more then renaming of the file.

in zip form the file contents can be seen only through a zip program.

in ztd or z2f form the files can only be read with the program they are designed to be read with - in this case ZT 1 for ztd files and ZT 2 for z2f files.

as for the game crashing when you click on the adoption menu this could be for 2 reasons.

1. if you have created a file yourself - a design you made then there is an error with the file you made and that is causing the game to crash. You will have to look over the file to see where the error occured and correct it.

2. if you have user downloads installed remember ZT has limitations as to how many user files or total files the game engine can handle.

Max ztd files is approx 360
Max dll files is approx 63

The above numbers include all ZTD and DLL files that MS & Blue Fang included in the folders for ZT and the expansions.

Offline Ailurus

• Zookeeper
changing file types
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 08:28:31 AM »
ok thanks for the help. i have managed to do it now.

Offline Peacenote

• Global Moderator
  • Marine Biologist
    • Webshots Pictures
changing file types
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:29:16 AM »
Great!  Question answered, so closed.